Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

Extraordinary

Post Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a 2011 adventure fantasy film and the fourth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean series. Gore Verbinski, who had directed the three previous films, was replaced by Rob Marshall, while Jerry Bruckheimer again served as producer.

In the film, which draws inspiration from the novel On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers, Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) is joined by Angelica (Penélope Cruz) in his search for the Fountain of Youth, confronting the infamous pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane). The film was distributed by Walt Disney Pictures and was released in the US on May 20, 2011. It was released in Digital 3-D, IMAX 3D and 2D theatres.

Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio first learned of Powers' novel during the back-to-back production of Dead Man's Chest and At World's End, and considered it a good starting point for a new movie in the series. Pre-production started after the end of the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, with Johnny Depp collaborating with the writers on the story design. Principal photography rolled for 106 days between June and November 2010, with locations in Hawaii, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, and California. Filming employed 3D cameras similar to those used in the production of the 2009 film Avatar, and ten companies were involved with the film's visual effects.

On Stranger Tides broke many box office records upon release, and it stands as the 9th highest-grossing film of all time worldwide when not adjusting for inflation. Critical reviews were mixed to negative, with the film receiving criticism over the script-writing, excessiveness, and lack of originality; positive mentions were given on the acting, directing and visuals.

Grade: C+

It's fun-ish. Rob Marshall certainly isn't up to Gore Verbinski's level as a director (yes, Chicago fans, I mean it), but it's the first film in the series not to feel terribly overlong, and those in charge finally realize that Geoffrey Rush is more entertaining in these films than Johnny Depp is.

One thing that annoyed me: the score, which sounds mostly recycled. And why are East India Trading Company and Davy Jones cues being repurposed for Blackbeard? It sounds sloppy.

Sun May 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Post Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
I don't know, I really want to see this film. I think it looks good.

Mon May 16, 2011 1:20 am
The Wall

The Dark Shape wrote:
It's fun. Rob Marshall certainly isn't up to Gore Verbinski's level as a director (yes, Chicago fans, I mean it), but it's the first film in the series not to feel terribly overlong, and those in charge finally realize that Geoffrey Rush is more entertaining in these films than Johnny Depp is.

Really? I thought that if anything this time you could absolutely feel the lengthiness of the movie and felt like it could've (and should've) been much, much shorter.

The Dark Shape wrote:
One thing that annoyed me: the score, which sounds mostly recycled. And why are East India Trading Company and Davy Jones cues being repurposed for Blackbeard? It sounds sloppy.

Saving budget? I don't really remember the score of PotC series, as I only watched those movies once in a theater and I didn't listen to the score after, but I thought the score was pretty good here. It fits the mood and the general feel/atmosphere of the movie...

I wrote some of my thought in the prediction thread, but I'm a bit too tired now to write a full review tomorrow. I liked the movie, didn't love it. But I don't think it's going to get good WOM. If you're not a fan (or even a casual one like myself) of PotC series this movie definitely won't win you over.

Tue May 17, 2011 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been listening to the score for a few days now.

There is some recycled material, similar in the way Dead Man's Chest/At World's End used parts of Curse of the Black Pearl's score. There is also some completely new material such as Angelica's Theme. Now that I think about it some more, there are many new works. Mermaids, The Pirate That Should Not - all new material.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

I can't say that I noticed PotC score before, but this time I definitely did and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt very whimsical and appropriate. :yes:

Tue May 17, 2011 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm sure there's new material, but it sounds very recycled. "Well, there's the fun action cue. And Jack's wacky music. And the same cues for the baddies."

Tue May 17, 2011 10:48 pm
The Wall

6/10 -> C

I know I'm in the minority here as I found Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End the most fun Pirates movie yet, just slightly better than Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. I found Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest only mediocre. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is right about the same for me... So I guess I like odd number Pirates movies and dislike (a maybe bit too harsh of a word, as they're not out right bad, just mediocre) even-numbered ones? Then I guess I hope we will see a fifth one... :D

Anway the movie kicks off great. I liked the fast setup considering we were already given the main plot point at the end of AWE. The scenes in London were definitely the highlight of the movie for me. It was fun watching Jack Sparrow in action. His improvisations (as usual) reminded me instantly of ridiculous (but charmingly funny) ways of how Guybrush solves things in Monkey Island series (I'd really like to see that game adaptation some day). But once we set off for the Fountain itself the movie starts to drag a bit.

Personally, while the story is probably the most straightforward one in the Pirates series so far, they stuffed it with so much characters that the movie gets more bloated as it goes on. While Sparrow, Blackbeard and Barbossa are all fun and great Pirates characters, it just feels like one of them is too much. But what's surprising is that both Blackbeard and Barbossa feel more integral to the Fountain of Youth race than Sparrow. He's just kinda there. There wasn't a single point in the movie where it felt like he wants to drink from the Fountain himself. He was just in for the ride and decided to have some fun with his old acquaintance. Bloom's and Knightley's absence isn't felt at all. Maybe because that love couple has been replaced by very similarly naive and forced one. I definitely felt like the movie was closer to the 3 hour runtime, than 2 hours and 17 minutes it actually is. The lengthiness has been always evident in this franchise, but I think On Stranger Tides suffers the most. Especially considering it's obviously trying to be briskly paced. It just fails.

Movie looks great. Despite being dimmed by 3D glasses, its brightness and colorfulness still pops out. While I'm talking about things popping out, 3D again proved itself to be a questionable decision. While there are definitely some neat effects it's obvious that they made them solely to give audience things popping out and not because the director successfully brought us into the action and things spontaneously popped out (obviously it would still be planned, but it would feel more natural if you know what I'm trying to say). It's definitely obvious this one was filmed in 3D. There are no weird 3D conversion effects like there were some in Thor most recently for instance. But overall 3D is pretty much non intrusive save for the few money shots already mentioned (and if you've seen the trailer in 3D, you have pretty much seen all of them already), and I actually didn't feel like I was watching a 3D movie for the most part. Definitely not worth the surcharge IMHO.

The action has been completely scaled down. There are no large scale action shots with complicated CGI. It's basically pirates battling each other on different locales. It works well for the movie (and bigger isn't always better) as it manages to capture the pirate feel a bit better than the whole fantasy/monster feeling previous movies leaned towards to. The thing is I can't help to notice how more effective the 3D would be if the action was actually similar to the one in Dead Man's Chest and At World's End (maelstorm for an example would look fierce if you could see to water going into the screen forming a deep vortex). But I'm still glad they went back to basics on the action.

I already noted in my previous posts that for the first time I noticed music in a Pirates movie. I definitely feel like it fits the scenes great and actually lifts up the movie more than a couple of times.

Overall, I think that despite Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides being only a mediocre movie, I'm definitely up for another one. Swashbuckling adventures like this one don't get made very often and it's a refreshment to see another Pirates movie every few years amidst very derivative and same-looking blockbusters these days.

Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Fast setup? It takes 45 minutes for Jack to start after the Fountain.

Wed May 18, 2011 12:16 pm
The Wall

I meant the mystery setup - oh look, old man caught in the next, next scene oh look he's saying something, next scene oh look fountain of youth! We go to Jack. There were no unnecessary intros to the whole fountain story. That being said did London scenes really take 45 minutes? I don't have a habit of watching my clock in a theater, so I wouldn't know. But I said I felt the London scenes felt fast paced and that once the ships set their sails the movie starts to drag. :thumbsup:

Wed May 18, 2011 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

-Spanish people find guy.
-Spanish king talks to guy.
-Gibbs in court.
-Jack saves Gibbs.
-Jack talks to Gibbs.
-Jack, Barbossa, and the King.
-Jack escapes.
-Jack and Keith Richards.
-Jack's Donkey Kong fight with Psuedo-Jack/Angelica.

It's at least a half hour to set them on the course we were already pretty much on at the end of At World's End.

Wed May 18, 2011 5:38 pm
Pure Phase

I wish it was 45 minutes of Jack and Keith Richards.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 pm
Angels & Demons

My review of "On Stranger Tides"

Wed May 18, 2011 8:42 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

You give it a quote "solid 2 out of 5 stars" but in my eyes, that's pretty damn bad... Perhaps Disney should've left well enough alone???? :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Thu May 19, 2011 7:30 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Expectantly 2 boring hours of nothing-ness, the first one was fun and last two were at least elegant Epic/Fantasy flick. This one has nothing of all above, C-.

Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Forum General

B/B-.

I was a bit disappointed, but it got better as it went along. I didn't really get into it until the mermaid attack. I felt most of the movie up to that point was mediocre, with a few good lines and typical action sequences. IMHO, the "religious" angle with the guy and the mermaid was a colossal waste of time. Not only did I not care, but it didn't go anywhere in the end. It just slowed down what should be a fun adventure film. The bad thing about the 3D is that much of the film was already dark, so dimming it even more made it even darker, hurting the experience.

On the plus side, the second half of the film is mostly a lot of fun. Jack, Barbosa, Blackbeard are all great. Cruz does a good job, but something didn't quite work with the character. There were some interesting effects with the 3D, my favorite subtle scene in 3D was the planning of the mutiny.

Best line of the movie...

Jack: "I support the missionary's position." :funny:

Not even close to as good as the first movie, but definitely better than the third movie.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:16 am
Profile WWW
I heet the canadian!

It wasn't the most original or engaging thing ever, but damn I sure had fun. I think critics are definitely out to lunch if they think this is worse than the third one.

Oh, and I'll definitely share the sentiments regarding the mermaid/clergyman angle: a clear waste of time and by far the worst part of the film. Should have definitely been cut and the fact it was barely shown at all in marketing makes it a bit vexing as to why they had it at all.

Fri May 20, 2011 5:50 am
Extraordinary

On Stranger Tides is worse than At World's End.

Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 pm
I heet the canadian!

The Dark Shape wrote:
Nope.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:03 pm
Extraordinary

Yep. Its action isn't as well-shot or edited, Depp is subdued, Knightley and Bloom are actually missed. And there isn't anything nearly as fun as the maelstrom ship battle.

On Stranger Tides is the worst film in the franchise by just about every measure.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:31 pm
100% That Bitch

B-

Average at best. It had some great moments but overall it was.... dull.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri May 20, 2011 6:54 pm
Veteran

Biggestgeekever wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Nope.

x2

AWE was awful. Too long, even by POTC standard. Boring as hell. Half of the movie was the actors standing on a ship explaining the plot to the audience. Action at the end was rather lame. Marriage between Will Turner and whatever Kiera Knightely's character was hilarious in a bad way. Why did all the other ships disappear at the end? Just because one ship got blown up?

OST isn't anything brilliant but it's a huge step up from the third one.

Fri May 20, 2011 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides represents an obvious shift in the lucrative Disney adventure franchise. Gone are the lovebirds portrayed by Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom. Also jettisoned is any mention of tensions between pirates and the East India Trading Co. With On Stranger Tides, directed by series newcomer Rob Marshall (Chicago), Pirates becomes less a saga and more a James Bond-type franchise. The film is entirely centered on the bibulous, fey, and courageous Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). Two other significant characters return because they fit the franchise's new aim. There's Sparrow's equivalent of Felix Leiter, Joshamee Gibbs (Kevin R. McNally), and there's also his ever-present friend-turned-nemesis-turned-friend-turned-nemesis, Geoffrey Rush's Barbossa.

The film drops Sparrow into a standalone adventure: an episodic search for the Fountain of Youth, which begins in London (where he's adrift without a ship or a crew) and ends in the jungle. Sparrow has a new villain to face in the supernatural Blackbeard (Ian McShane), and he has his first real, shall we say, Sparrow Girl in Angelica, played with admirable pluck by the always sexy Penélope Cruz.

This sequel is perhaps best described as minor. It's safe. It knows its business and its audience, and it does just enough to get by. This is reflected in the performance delivered by Johnny Depp. He easily slips into the Jack Sparrow role for a fourth go-round. The surprise and freshness is largely gone, but his affection for the role and its laundry list of quirks is still apparent. Call it the acting equivalent of lunch with an old friend. It holds no revelations, but it's comforting and easy to embrace. The same is true of Rush's performance. Though no one will be nominated for an Oscar for their performance here, the cast is the film's finest asset. It's simply fun to see such major talents--watch for a cameo by Dame Judi Dench--embrace the cheese and ham in elaborate costumes.

Predictably, Rob Marshall doesn't fare as well behind the camera as series originator Gore Verbinski. Marshall, he of stately, slightly calcified prestige pics, cannot hope to match Verbinski's highly energetic, wild-eyed staging of action and special effects sequences. Other than a creepy nocturnal attack by mermaids, most of the action here has a curiously flat quality. The abundant sword fighting is well-choreographed, but missing a certain vigor, a certain zing. Marshall and cinematographer Dariusz Wolski don't, however, fail to capture the scope and wonder of the various locations, ranging from period London to the mystical Fountain of Youth itself.

The oddest element of this film is without a doubt a romantic subplot involving a Christian missionary (Sam Claflin) and a nice mermaid (Astrid Bergès-Frisbey). So much press was devoted to screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio's decision to not include Bloom and Knightley's moody lovers, yet it seems the duo were unable to avoid dewy-eyed young love completely. These characters can't help but play as Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann lite.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides isn't much of a film. The franchise certainly hasn't reached new heights here; more than anything it's settled into an unassuming, unambitious, kinda sorta genial groove. Yet it's not a total wash either. The world of pirates, the supernatural, and the sea has corners left to explore, and there's still a huge amount of value in the Sparrow character. As he said his perfect final line, and then the credits began to unfold, I found myself hoping to see him again. Maybe without Rob Marshall at the helm, though.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 21, 2011 1:06 am
College Boy Z

It's been a while since I've seen At World's End, but I think On Stranger Tides might be better. It's not as long as At World's End, which helps it avoid any real boring moments. It's just fun throughout without the bullshit and ridiculous plot. Johnny Depp is hilarious as usual, and cutting Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly from this story didn't bother me one bit. It's all about Jack, which is great. And Penelope Cruz is a great addition.

The biggest problems were that it wasn't as well directed, obviously, and it didn't feel as epic as the first three, though, but more like "another Pirates move."

Sat May 21, 2011 2:00 am
Pure Phase

If a Pirates 5 happens (and it seems it will), I hope it's a lot, no pun intended, stranger than On Stranger Tides. This franchise is such a great opportunity to cut loose and have fun and follow your imagination into bizarre corners. The great scenes with Jack Sparrow lost in Davy Jones' Locker in At World's End spring to mind. Rob Marshall's approach is too literal-minded. It had a few nice moments of mystical oddity--the cupboard full of ships in bottles, the GREAT moment in the bed with Jack, Barbossa, and the skeleton ("Don't touch the map")--but not nearly enough.

I almost wonder if Pirates 5 will end up having the same issues as Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. This one, though it mostly plays as a relatively stripped-down Pirates adventure, leaves a fair mess of plot at the end, and the next film will obviously have the burden of dealing with it all. Cruz on the island with the voodoo doll. The priest and the mermaid's fates. What Barbossa does with Blackbeard's ship.

Sat May 21, 2011 2:31 am

Gunslinger wrote:
Pirates becomes less a saga and more a James Bond-type franchise.

I feel the same way. I made a thread asking the question of if Pirates will last on for a long time. After all, currently Depp enjoys the role and wants to do more, as a fifth is already in the talks.

Sat May 21, 2011 3:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next