Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Bridesmaids 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

Bridesmaids 
Sbil

Post Re: Bridesmaids
"I fell off a cruise ship."
"Oh, shit."
"Yeah, oh shit. Yeah, oh shit. Took a hard, hard violent fall, kinda pinballed down, hit a lot of railings, broke a lot of shit. I'm not gonna say I survived, I'm gonna say I thrived...I met a dolphin down there, and I swear to God that dolphin looked not at me but directly into my soul, into my goddamn soul, and said I'm saving you, Megan. Not with his mouth, but he said it, I'm assuming telepathically."

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:27 am
You are waiting for a train

McCarthy delivers lines like those beautifully. Just enough dryness and sincerity.

Up there with The Muppets as one of the year's funniest movies. Rarely do you see comedic ensembles this strong.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:41 am
Extraordinary

Rev wrote:
A :thumbsup:

Kristen Wiig is awesome!

Mike wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
I'd love to hear a dvd commentary of this picture.

+1

+ 2

+5!!

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 pm
New Server, Same X

Shockingly, I didn't see Bridesmaids until yesterday.

Really, really enjoyed it. Everyone pulled their weight. It was two hours but didn't feel like two hours.

***1/2 / ****

Useless tidbit, in response to a few posts here: the script was originally titled Maid of Honor. I was a bit confused after watching it too since I thought there would be more with the actual bridesmaids.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:50 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Heh, I just saw it yesterday, too, and I was surprised I couldn't really get into the film. I don't know if it was the length or what, but I kept wanting it to end soon. I'll re-watch it again sometime to see if my opinion changes, though.

7/10

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:01 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
I was surprised I couldn't really get into the film. I don't know if it was the length or what, but I kept wanting it to end soon.

You didn't happen to watch it alone on a TV at home instead of on a big screen in a theatre as part of an appreciative audience?

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:45 am
Wallflower

Corpse wrote:
Heh, I just saw it yesterday, too, and I was surprised I couldn't really get into the film. I don't know if it was the length or what, but I kept wanting it to end soon. I'll re-watch it again sometime to see if my opinion changes, though.

7/10

You couldn't get into it? You're crazy :P. Though like Bradley said watching a movie like this alone is a no-no.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:00 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Perhaps watching it alone, at home, was the reason then. Next viewing will be with a couple friends. :thumbsup:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I don't by the whole appreciative audience argument. You know a comedy is going to be a classic and truly hilarious when you watch it alone and laugh your ass off, maybe even more since you can probably hear more of the jokes.

I standby, the film is very funny. Probably a top 5 comedy of the year, but Masterpiece or groundbreaking? I think not.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 pm
New Server, Same X

Thegun wrote:
I don't by the whole appreciative audience argument. You know a comedy is going to be a classic and truly hilarious when you watch it alone and laugh your ass off, maybe even more since you can probably hear more of the jokes.

I standby, the film is very funny. Probably a top 5 comedy of the year, but Masterpiece or groundbreaking? I think not.

I agree with the audience part. I can't watch every movie with an audience/friends.

Besides, I still found it really funny.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:40 am
Extraordinary

"And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter and the sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed." - Kahlil Gibran

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:27 am
The Wall

The movie isn't really something you need to watch with a friend(s) to appreciate it. Also what if you stumble on a non-appreciative audience and you like the movie? Does that mean you're wrong and they're right?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

The big scenes (when all bridesmaids are involved) are excellent, but I was bored by Wiig's parts. Not really a likeable character. Maybe because she's just as much a bitch as Helen. I liked her chemistry with the policeman though. But most of her solo stuff could've been cut.

Overall a good movie, but not a riot as some like to think. And yes, I watched it alone.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:31 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
"And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter and the sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed." - Kahlil Gibran

I'm not disputing that it's more fun watching movies with friends. I just can't do it every time I watch a movie. I think others are the same.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:28 pm
Extraordinary

be.redy wrote:
what if you stumble on a non-appreciative audience and you like the movie? Does that mean you're wrong and they're right?

Have you never felt the incredible positive power of the shared energy of a crowd of people simultaneously experiencing the joy of a performance of film or concert or sport? It is a delightful form of mutual consciousness, imho, and one that should be sought out whenever possible, especially as in this case, when word is out that it is an exuberant comedy.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 pm
Sbil

be.redy wrote:
But most of her solo stuff could've been cut.

I'm tempted to pull out the "are you fucking kidding me" gif.

Her "solo stuff" is much of the movie's richest material. Annie is a vividly realized, almost bizarrely accurate portrayal of depression in a mainstream comedy.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:24 pm
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
be.redy wrote:

Her "solo stuff" is much of the movie's richest material. Annie is a vividly realized, almost bizarrely accurate portrayal of depression in a mainstream comedy.

For a mainstream comdy...maybe. But this is in no way an accurate portrayal of depression.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:
be.redy wrote:

For a mainstream comdy...maybe. But this is in no way an accurate portrayal of depression.

There are different elements of depression. I'd say it's fair to argue the character is a depressed person, and I think the movie does a lot with showing that.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:24 pm
Forum General

I'd say she was more defeated than depressed.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 pm
The Wall

Jiffy wrote:
I'd say she was more defeated than depressed.

Yes. It never once crossed my mind she was depressed. She was just fucked up.

Libs wrote:
be.redy wrote:

To you maybe. I was bored. Period. You can't tell me, I have to like it too. :thumbsup:

In reality it's two movies in one. It's Annie's story, which is a bit boring IMHO, and then there's the bridesmaids part, which was hilarious. I feel a bit cheated I had to sit through Annie's resignation of life and was cut short on the actual bridesmaids hilarity. One of the best showcases of the overlong Annie scenes was at the end where she went by the policeman gazzilion times "breaking" the law. What started out as nearly charming ended up in yawns.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

be.redy wrote:

To you maybe. I was bored. Period. You can't tell me, I have to like it too. :thumbsup: .

lol I know, I'm just vehemently disagreeing.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:32 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I would agree that all the solo scenes or the dramatic elements are almost "Cut and Paste" in any Apatow influenced script. The film is dragged down by those cliches. And she is not even closely relatable to someone that is depressed, even by mainstream standards.

Though Depression and mainstream don't really belong in the same sentence. Surprising since so many people suffer from it to varying degrees.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:47 pm
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:
be.redy wrote:

There are different elements of depression. I'd say it's fair to argue the character is a depressed person, and I think the movie does a lot with showing that.

I hate to pull "I studied this shit" card, but I think in this particular case I've got to.

Basically what Jiffy/be.redy said, defeated yes. Depressed - no.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I loved the stuff with Wiig's character. I thought she was flawed in a relatable way, and Wiig flippin' nailed it! Who says mainstream movies can't focus on complicated characters? She was hardly a bitch.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:48 pm
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I hate to pull "I studied this shit" card, but I think in this particular case I've got to.

Depressed - no.

Wow - - during her hour or so of screen time you were able to perform a full psychological assessment and ascertain that she does not have Major Depressive Disorder!

Where exactly do you become qualified to diagnose movie characters?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next