Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 The Green Hornet 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Green Hornet 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Green Hornet
The Green Hornet

Quote:
The Green Hornet is an upcoming 2011 superhero film, based on the character of the same name that had originated in a 1930s radio program and has appeared in movie serials, a television series, comic books and other media. Directed by Michel Gondry, the film stars Seth Rogen, who co-wrote the screenplay with Evan Goldberg. Supporting actors include Jay Chou as Kato, Christoph Waltz, Cameron Diaz, Edward Furlong, Edward James Olmos, David Harbour, and Tom Wilkinson.

The film is scheduled to be released in North America and the United Kingdom on January 14, 2011 and in Australia on January 20, 2011, which will also include RealD Cinema and IMAX 3D.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: The Green Hornet
The Green Hornet is definitely a nice, enjoyable film based off the classic figure. It has plenty of laughs (thanks mostly to Rogen's writing in collaboration with Evan Goldberg for a third time), the cast work well together, and it is a lot of fun action. Definitely a nice surprise and hopefully it'll get Jay Chou in more American features. It also definitely opens room for a sequel which I could see happening. Just the one person this film could of done without was Cameron Diaz. She's pretty useless here. Other than that, solid fun. ***

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Meister josebas Haus- und Hofkritiker sieht das aber ganz anders, jmovies. Du musst also entweder deludiert oder ein schmutziger Lügner sein.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The Green Hornet, one of the first superheroes (if not the first superhero), leaps at last from the radio and the page to the big screen, guided by director Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and co-writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (Superbad, Pineapple Express). Rogen also co-stars, joined by Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Christoph Waltz (as the villain, in his first post-Oscar role), and Tom Wilkinson as a stern, self-righteous publisher whose death sets the plot in motion. Despite the significant talent involved both in front of and behind the camera, this is a misguided, numbing film, one which falls well short of expectations.

Gondry, known for outlandish visual invention (often, in the past at least, achieved with practical effects), crafts a few exciting action sequences, but is never able to master a film which, as written by Rogen and Goldberg, feels at war with itself--a current of quirky gallows humor struggles to flow beneath the weight of a gargantuan, but bland summer action movie. The cast's overall effort is commendable, but with mixed results. Rogen never overcomes gross miscasting. Waltz has fun (and gets several of the best lines), though I fear we will see him play nothing but eccentric villains in the near future (and none will top his award-winning turn in Inglourious Basterds). The nadir of the cast is, without a doubt, Cameron Diaz. She isn't awful, but her role is a complete afterthought. To even call her a love interest would be a stretch.

It's not hard to dive into The Green Hornet and find elements to praise, whether it's Gondry's spirited lensing of martial arts sequences or, say, a brilliant cameo by James Franco (the best scene in the entire film). Alas, the various elements never form a satisfying whole. By the end, I was more exhausted than excited.

C-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:43 pm
College Boy Z

It's more funny than I thought it'd be. There's some really funny lines here, and the interactions between Britt and Kano are pretty hilarious. And the cameo by James Franco is terrific.

The biggest problem with this movie is the middle third of it. The first third is really funny stuff, and the last third is entertaining and action-packed, but the middle is just boring and weird.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:57 am
---------

Seth Rogen seemed to be playing his biggest jerk yet. It was hard to like him as a main character. I did enjoy Jay Chou, and what the heck was Cameron Diaz even in this for? It seemed like she was just there to take sexual jokes from Rogen. The action is good, but it feels like the plot is going nowhere in the middle of the movie (when Kato and Rogen are getting jealous of each other and their epically long fight).

B

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 am
Sbil

Quite entertaining. A lot of the comedy hits and, perhaps surprisingly enough, a lot of the action does too. Seth Rogen and Jay Chou have fun chemistry, although Rogen's character is never once likable. Christoph Waltz chews the scenery to an appropriate degree, while Cameron Diaz smiles a lot on her way to a nice paycheck. It's not great art but I enjoyed it for what it was. B

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:33 pm
Extraordinary

The Green Hornet is a bit of a mixed bag. I dug the first half with the elaborate backstory set-up - - that was spot on! But then the second half careened out of control... like Lil' Mikey Gondry had passed out in his director's chair.

I enjoy wacked out superhero storylines, but they have to have some propulsive internal logic to get me to love them.

If memory serves me, I believe that Stephen Chow was considering developing a Green Hornet movie. Nobody can say he wouldn't have made a great Kato! Imagine if Seth Rogen didn't produce this and Stephen Chow costarred - - this could have been the off-the-charts definitive Green Hornet for the ages. I'd also love to see the entirely Kato-centric version directed and starring Stephen Chow. Anything would be better than the letdown awaiting viewers in the second half of this existing 2011 Green Hornet movie.

Goodness knows there were lots of great little moments and comic bits, but they end up wasted in this big budget misfire.

2 out of 5.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 am

Gunslinger wrote:
The Green Hornet, one of the first superheroes (if not the first superhero), leaps at last from the radio and the page to the big screen, guided by director Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and co-writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (Superbad, Pineapple Express). Rogen also co-stars, joined by Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Christoph Waltz (as the villain, in his first post-Oscar role), and Tom Wilkinson as a stern, self-righteous publisher whose death sets the plot in motion. Despite the significant talent involved both in front of and behind the camera, this is a misguided, numbing film, one which falls well short of expectations.

Gondry, known for outlandish visual invention (often, in the past at least, achieved with practical effects), crafts a few exciting action sequences, but is never able to master a film which, as written by Rogen and Goldberg, feels at war with itself--a current of quirky gallows humor struggles to flow beneath the weight of a gargantuan, but bland summer action movie. The cast's overall effort is commendable, but with mixed results. Rogen never overcomes gross miscasting. Waltz has fun (and gets several of the best lines), though I fear we will see him play nothing but eccentric villains in the near future (and none will top his award-winning turn in Inglourious Basterds). The nadir of the cast is, without a doubt, Cameron Diaz. She isn't awful, but her role is a complete afterthought. To even call her a love interest would be a stretch.

It's not hard to dive into The Green Hornet and find elements to praise, whether it's Gondry's spirited lensing of martial arts sequences or, say, a brilliant cameo by James Franco (the best scene in the entire film). Alas, the various elements never form a satisfying whole. By the end, I was more exhausted than excited.

C-

Gunslinger, I think you forgot to check rotten tomatoes. This movie is at 44%, which means you need to give it a B/B+. I know this is an embarassing mistake, but if you correct it quickly no-one will really notice.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm
Veteran

Magnus wrote:
Benjamin, you don't need to further your campign for worst snob. We all know you're a lock.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B

The Green Hornet is a pretty fun flick to start off the year with. It is surprisingly standard given its usually very creative director Michel Gondry, but that's not really a bad thing. It might play by the numbers, but does it well enough to not leave the audiences bored for a second.

The Green Hornet is your typical action comedy, just with some superhero elements. The comedy here is solid, though I have missed some real belly laughs. The action was surprisingly impressive, though. I loved the car chases and the final prolonged showdown. Jay Chou as Kato is quite awesome and the film was always best when he or Waltz were on-screen. Speaking of Waltz, he's definitely channeling some Hans Landa here, but it doesn't matter. His calm, yet psychopathic villain Chudnofsky is clearly one of the film's strongest points. I really loved his introduction scene (complete with a great cameo by James Franco!). Waltz's line delivery is simply perfect. Seth Rogen, on the other hand, was less convincing. It's not just that it's difficult to buy Rogen as a superhero. It's also that his character, Britt, is simply obnoxious from start to finish and barely has any redeeming qualities. He just always comes across as an annoying spoiled brat, making it nearly impossible for the audiences to root for him. Cameron Diaz is just filler and some eye candy here which is a pity, knowing that she can handle comedic material pretty well if given enough to work with. Tom Wilkinson is sadly wasted as well.

One thing I was a bit surprised about was how brutal this actually was in parts for a PG-13 superhero action comedy (thinking of the demise of the main two villains, for instance). That is, I suppose, where Gondry's edginess seined through. All in all, it was a fairly entertaining uneven romp that takes its time to get going, but evolves into a blast of action entertainment during its grand finale.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

There have been much more brutal PG-13s, like The Dark Knight or even maybe Mystery Men killing off Greg Kinnear.

But yeah, it's witty, casually misogynistic and slick. The action scenes are inventive and often very amusing. Michel Gondry throws in about a half dozen really cool visual gags, and the whole enterprise is breezy and easy to digest.

After hearing a lot about how annoying Seth Rogen is, I was surprised at how funny I still found him to be. I mean, the guy comes back to the newspaper only to have it run articles about himself. The guy is supposed to be an asshole, and I don't even really think that the film ever tries to morally justify any of his actions or their consequences. This is an anarchic, guilt-free lark that knows how fundamentally silly it is.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:37 am
Killing With Kindness

MovieDude wrote:
There have been much more brutal PG-13s, like The Dark Knight or even maybe Mystery Men killing off Greg Kinnear.

But yeah, it's witty, casually misogynistic and slick. The action scenes are inventive and often very amusing. Michel Gondry throws in about a half dozen really cool visual gags, and the whole enterprise is breezy and easy to digest.

After hearing a lot about how annoying Seth Rogen is, I was surprised at how funny I still found him to be. I mean, the guy comes back to the newspaper only to have it run articles about himself. The guy is supposed to be an asshole, and I don't even really think that the film ever tries to morally justify any of his actions or their consequences. This is an anarchic, guilt-free lark that knows how fundamentally silly it is.

100% agreed

BJs Grade:

B

solid entertainment that would fo sho bring bj back for mo.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

It's hit and miss in all aspects - humor, action, story, acting, characters. If movies were like scripts and had drafts etc. this would be the first draft. There was definitely potential for this to be a pretty fun superhero action flick, but as it is it's a mediocre serving.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yeah, something fundamental was...off with this.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 am
Forum General

I could have sworn that I posted my thoughts on this, but I guess I didn't. I really enjoyed it and I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up to be the best superhero movie of the year. It was a lot of fun and really funny. The last 45 minutes were great and very exciting. I definitely recommend it and I'll be buying it.

8/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

I was digging it until that awful third act, where it throws whatever (apparently misguided) snark it had built up out in favour of a totally ridiculous and thoroughly boring extended action sequence.

Rogen's schtick still works for me, though, for whatever reason.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:19 am
loyalfromlondon

Oh, and the 3D was useless. As per usual.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:25 am
Forum General

The action sequences at the end made the movie for me because it relied little on Seth Rogen's character.

I was going to give it a grade in the Cs but brought it up to a B or maybe B-.

I honestly liked Gondry's directing as it was what that made this movie more interesting than it would otherwise be. The laughs are seldom but the inventiveness carried the film along. Jay Chou was terrible for most of the movie but the worst part was Britt. Rogen did fine for what he had but, since it was written by him, he is to blame for it. The character is wholly unlikeable and part of me even wished that Kato would off him at the Japanese restaurant. Paint him as a misunderstood goofball maybe I would watch it again, but he's an obnoxious jerk-off who learns nothing and does nothing.

In fact, I'll settle with a B- the same grade I gave Scott Pilgrim as even with Wright's direction and visuals Cera and the character itself were fucking annoying and terrible, actually the whole script was in that case and a jackass lead without so much as any justification lends no praise.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

trixster wrote:
Oh, and the 3D was useless. As per usual.

I agree with this even though I didn't see it in 3D. I only realized that it was screened in 3D due to the end credits.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:47 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't perform a little better at the Box Office as I'd have been interested in a sequel.

7/10 (B-)

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:42 pm
The Wall

Mike wrote:
Too bad it didn't perform a little better at the Box Office as I'd have been interested in a sequel.

For a January release it performed pretty well though. :thumbsup:

I don't think studio expected (or could have expected) much more.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

be.redy wrote:
Mike wrote:
Too bad it didn't perform a little better at the Box Office as I'd have been interested in a sequel.

For a January release it performed pretty well though. :thumbsup:

I don't think studio expected (or could have expected) much more.

Yeah, it seemed like they were playing damage control and managed to turn something that has been in development hell for years and therefore gotten negative internet buzz, and even when trailers hit many people wrote off as a joke ("Seth Rogen as an action hero? Yeah right!")
into a decent hit. It could've performed a looot worse.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Considering it grossed close to 100 Million domestically and made over 200 Million with international box office factored in (all of this in the early months of the year), I'm sure Sony is satisfied. As mentioned before, it was in development hell for years. I actually wouldn't even be surprised if a sequel was announced.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

The combination of Rogan/Goldberg + Michel Gondry is a weird fit and it shows as it feels like it's attempting less jokes than you would expect, despite how when it does the two leads have pretty good chemistry together, culminating in their big fight. I guess since this is an adaptation trying to pay some tribute to the previous versions it's harder to go full superhero parody. The action scenes were great in the first half and the car is really cool, but I found the climax pretty exhausting in a movie that had no business being 2 hours. Waltz is a great and one of the few in the movie who seems to get what the movie should have been comedically.

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]