Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Toy Story 3 

What grade would you give this film?
A 84%  84%  [ 32 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38

Toy Story 3 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Toy Story 3
This was a near perfect dark animated film that reminded me especially of the The Secret of Nihm and the Brave Little Toaster. Hilarious, but probably the most heart wrenching film since Passion of the Christ for me. There is honestly not a single light plot line in the film, everything has a dark overtone, but I feel this is not a film for kids (despite how many will see it) but more for those who grew up with the characters. I still have yet to cry, but the hand holding scene is probably one of the most amazing scenes I've ever seen in any film. I just loved this film. It may only be 90 minutes, but its 90 minutes of pure brilliance. And Night and Day and it's prejudice undertones were a perfect set up for this film. This is a Best Picture contender without hesitation A++

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:19 am
Pure Phase

I feel a bit Hitler-esque writing it, but I thought this film had a few problems. It was great overall, though. I thought the first hour was solid, not outstanding. A flash of comedic genius here (Barbie and Ken!), an individual exciting action beat there; the escape-from-the-daycare plot was entertaining, but not perfect. Solid's the word. Great material for the video game tie-in.

But then the film becomes a compelling, super-poignant meditation on the tenuous nature of life, the importance of enduring friendship, and the end of childhood. Yes, I cried. I was 5 when I saw the first film and am 20 now, so how could I not? I could relate. And after being so moved by the third act (which comes close to the best moments of Michael Chabon's The Mysteries of Pittsburgh in terms of coming-of-age gravitas) and witnessing this inspired three-film storyline find such a natural, "good" conclusion, it's hard for me to let the not-as-amazing first part bother me. I don't know... I left the theatre feeling an intense emotion which I now find difficult to describe. So.

A-

Ratatouille remains my favorite Disney/Pixar film. So perfect.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:50 am
Another You

Yes, Pixar didn't fail to amaze again. It's not quite in the levels of Finding Nemo or WALL-E, but it's still near and certainly up with TS1/TS2 and a few others and far ahead from the overrated Up. The 3D effects did nothing for me, but it had the moments that make it a wonderful movie experience. The opening sequence set up the film perfectly and the Hamm evil spaceship was damn BRILLIANT. The laughs and fun moments were endless throughout the middle, but it also never failed to have emotional depth. Woody, Buzz and the rest of the original toys were great as usual and I generally liked the new characters as well.

Now it all comes down the final action sequence. This is the best part of the film and def. in the Top 3 scenes Pixar has ever done (the earth storyline of WALL-E and the final 20 mins. of Nemo are the others). As soon as they get to the dump truck, the film was raised to a different level. I was so close to tearing up when they slided down to the pile of garbage about to be burned and started to hold hands. It was insane.

The ending was perfect and very emotional as well. Overall, this is easily the best film of the year, among Pixar's best efforts (which do not need to be in 3D, at all), and a great conclusion to the Toy Story films.

Fuckin' A

Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:36 am
Grill

Absolutely incredible. Definitely as it stands right now the best movie of the year. From the very beginning with the action scene (DEATH BY MONKEYS!) to the very emotional last 20 minutes of the film were just breathtaking. I had tears of laughter on more then one part in the film (especially the tortillahead and the monkey security scene). Up there with Pixar's best. I really need to think about it.

A+

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:21 am
Extraordinary

Lesser Pixar movies are still head and shoulders above most other animated movies these days - - and Toy Story 3 is definitely a lesser Pixar movie.

The animation is beautiful as one fully expects from Pixar - - though I was fortunate enough to see it in glorious 2D, rather than have the color and brightness sucked out of it by the unnecessary 3D gimmick*. But though the story rang emotionally true, the characterizations of these longtime favorite characters seemed superficial and rushed compared to the previous two films in the series. Not to mention the toys in danger/escape plot was essentially a carbon copy of Toy Story 2. It makes me sad to think that Pixar could have poured all the creative talent that went into this rehash, into yet another amazingly original story like Up or Wall-E or etc, etc, etc... :(

Yeah it was fun to watch while it lasted, but Pixar can do better - - far better.

3 out of 5.

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
*It was last year's Up that broke the 3D spell for me. I went to see it in 3D first and later in 2D. When I was at the 2D version, I popped over to the 3D screening next door with my saved glasses in my pocket. I was shocked with how dim the 3D version was compared to the 2D! The 3D sucked the brightness right out of Pixar's trademark brilliant colors. Not only that, but Pixar already does spectacular three dimensional CGI in 2D - - it definitely subtracted from the viewing experience of Up.

(PS: One outstanding aspect of Toy Story 3 for me was the surprise inclusion of the Totoro toy - - Hooray!!!)

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:33 pm
Teh Mexican

Saw it for the second time but dubbed in spanish. Still great but way better in english.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:56 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

matatonio wrote:
Saw it for the second time but dubbed in spanish. Still great but way better in english.

Does Buzz talk in English when he switches languages?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Teh Mexican

Chip Munkington wrote:
matatonio wrote:

It was the same as in the original version. It was just a different accent (from spain). It worked just has good.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:03 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

matatonio wrote:
Chip Munkington wrote:
matatonio wrote:

It was the same as in the original version. It was just a different accent (from spain). It worked just has good.

Wouldn't be surprised if in Spain he gets an accent from Mexico. :D

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:04 pm
Teh Mexican

Price wrote:
matatonio wrote:
Chip Munkington wrote:
matatonio wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if in Spain he gets an accent from Mexico. :D

nah!.. unless they get the mexican redneck version of it but with all the Flamenco movement it wouldn't make any sense.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:10 pm
Top Poster

A-, big improvement over first two movies...i liked how the adventures the toys experience and their relationship to andy is synonymous to a kid leaving parents to college for the first time...andy not playing with his toys in years is like parents not playing with their grown sons...the daycare is like being in college where new peope accept you and you can have a lot of short term fun hooking up and partying while forgetting about your long-term friendships...and you have to go through hazing before being accepted into fraternity or it could mean the inexperienced ppl hurt you w destructive relationships (toddlers) but the older experienced ones can have lots of fun responsibly

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Pretty satisfying, more inspired than the second...I teared up at the end, but I think this played way more as an event than the first or second did. The movie felt timed for audience reactions -- and when my crowd didn't tear up at the "hand-holding" scene, the delay for the crew to get rescued just felt awkward. Still, good stuff, and miles better than WALL-E.

The short was meh.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:24 pm
Extraordinary

The best animated film of the year, the best action film of the year, and the best film of the year. The last half ranks right up there as the best Pixar has ever done. And I admit I teared up and continued to cry for the last 10 minutes. Pure magic.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Toy Story 3 is exceptional, that goes without saying, and definitely the best film I've seen all year.

But there was one question that stayed at the back of my mind. Was any of this really necessary?

I thought Toy Story 2 finished the franchise fine, and Disney moved forward with a Toy Story 3 sequel as a tactic to get Pixar back to the negotiation table when they were renewing their contract together.

Pixar picked up on this project, stopping it immediately. But then they came back to it years later.

Now, after seeing in 11 films only 1 sequel, Pixar has 3 of their 4 films from 2010-2012 as sequels. It's no coincidence that Pixar's box office grosses, while stellar, just weren't where they were at the beginning, when CG animation was new. So part of me thinks the rush of Pixar sequels was almost certainly a financial decision.

So after thinking about if Toy Story 3 was even necessary, I re-read the story outline for Toy Story 2. The film ends this way:

As the new toys become accustomed to having a new owner, Woody tells Buzz that he's not worried about Andy growing up, because when he does, Woody will still have Buzz to keep him company "for infinity and beyond."

So we knew that they were all going to be fine when Andy grew up, so was it completely necessary to show exactly what happens to them? In some ways, its a nice way to finish the story, but with an 11 year wait, clearly Pixar/Disney saw no urgency to wrap up the storyline any sooner, so I do question if this was even necessary.

In some ways, I got a Star Wars Episode 1-3 feeling from this, or Indiana Jones 4. Was there really a need for more sequels? Probably not. But at least Pixar knows how to deliver.

Regardless of the reason why the film is being released, it is sensational. Pixar is in top form, its great to see the cast back together. The animation is fantastic, the short film probably my favorite of theirs yet. Story was strong, but there were a number of similarities between Kelsey Grammer's villain character in Toy Story 2 and the Bear in Toy Story 3. Toy Story 3 was definitely well done and the last 15 minutes certainly make the movie. Another home run from Pixar.

8.5/10

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Bad review...by your logic there is no reason for any sequel ever.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Alex Y. wrote:

Au contraire - - it seems that so far only O, Shack, and myself were able to see through the honeymoon mist of a freshly viewed Pixar.

Toy Story 3 is a very good movie by most standards, but amongst Pixar movies it is below average, and amongst the Toy Story series it is the weakest, and worse... unnecessary.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:23 am
Sbil

Alex Y. wrote:

Au contraire - - it seems that so far only O, Shack, and myself were able to see through the honeymoon mist of a freshly viewed Pixar.

Back to your old tricks, I see.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:34 am
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Alex Y. wrote:

Toy Story 3 is a very good movie by most standards, but amongst Pixar movies it is below average, and amongst the Toy Story series it is the weakest, and worse... unnecessary.

Back to your old tricks, I see.

It's true, I can't seem to break the habit of pointing out the truth to the short-sighted and hype-notized.

:(

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 pm
Sbil

Where would we be without you, Bradley Witherberry? I'm really lucky I have you to tie my shoes for me.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
It's true, I can't seem to break the habit of pointing out the truth to the short-sighted and hype-notized.

:(

The trademark of a compulsive smart-aleck.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Where would we be without you, Bradley Witherberry? I'm really lucky I have you to tie my shoes for me.

You're being modest, Libs - - you're actually doing very well on your own now - - here's your next lesson...

(Strangely enough, I actually only made those comments in this particular thread because O and Shack seemed to share a similar experience to my own with TS3.)

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:05 pm
Forum General

I don't think it's so unnecessary. Toy Story 2 introduces the prospect of abandonment/uselessness, and this one delves into how the toys actually deal with its apparent realization.

Woody may have made his peace with the idea of Andy eventually moving on at the end of the second film (and that's still carried over into this one), but it only feels like a natural progression of the storyline to close the loop on their time with him and show how it happens.

Besides, it's well-done, enjoyable entertainment - a fun caper film. That's all the justification it needs for its existence.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:44 pm
Extraordinary

Jiffy208 wrote:
Besides, it's well-done, enjoyable entertainment - a fun caper film. That's all the justification it needs for its existence.

Yes, that's probably the best thing to think about. It's certainly one of the best 2nd sequels of all time.

Pixar did a great job with Toy Story 3 obviously, but my questioning of whether or not it was necessary is based on how it seemed more financially influenced rather than actually a need to finish the story. They still did an awesome job with it of course.

Its still the best film of the year!

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Are movies necessary? No.

Case closed! Argument, won!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 pm

The pacing and tonal balance are absolutely perfect, and the blending of action, adventure, humor, and poignant emotion is executed with balance and precision. All the old characters are as lovable as ever and the new ones are engrossing and add new dimensions to the story. I'd say it's on equal footing if not slightly better than Toy Story 2, although not as good as the original. Mid-Tier Pixar overall, which makes it the best film of the year.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next