Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 He's Just Not That Into You 

What grade would you give this film?
A 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 11 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 19

Dont Mess with the Gez

Post He's Just Not That Into You

Quote:
He's Just Not That Into You is a 2009 American romantic comedy film, based on the self-help book of the same name by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo, which in turn was inspired by a line of dialogue in Sex and the City. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, Sasha Alexander, Justin Long, Jennifer Connelly, Ginnifer Goodwin, Kevin Connolly, and Bradley Cooper. He's Just Not That Into You was directed by Ken Kwapis, and produced by Drew Barrymore's production company, Flower Films, with Barrymore serving as an executive producer.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:22 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: He's Just Not That Into You
I liked it much more than I thought I would. Good performances.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 pm
Sbil

I really, really liked this movie. Lots of surprisingly relatable humor and even dramatically affecting at certain point. Among the large cast (Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Connelly, Kevin Connolly, Bradley Cooper, Ginnifer Goodwin, Scarlett Johansson, Justin Long), there are no weak links. Aniston and Connelly fare the best with less lighthearted material (not surprisingly considering some of their past roles), while Ginnifer Goodwin is endearing in the movie's largest role. I loved the title cards ("...If he's not marrying you") accompanied by the people giving the interviews to the camera. At 127 minutes, it wears out its welcome a bit by the end, but I was having too much of a good time watching it to really notice. B+

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:33 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Man, the dating "rules" presented in this movie are worth an F. But the cast elevates it to a D.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:12 am
Orphan

Sam wrote:
Man, the dating "rules" presented in this movie are worth an F. But the cast elevates it to a D.

Agree. It paints men as cheating jerks who view women as "expendable" to quote one character in the movie aside from the cliched reversal the suits surely required for the obligatory (somewhat) happy ending. Not that women were portrayed as great either but their problems were pretty much all linked to how terrible men have been to them. The whole thing was mostly putrid.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:17 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I disagree.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:28 pm
Sbil

Ozymunkias wrote:
I disagree.

I do as well, I don't think the movie made men in general look bad. Bradley Cooper's character was a tool but...there are people like that in real life. You could argue Kevin Connolly was in the wrong for blowing off Ginnifer Goodwin like he did, but he wasn't really a mean person. Plus, Ben Affleck's character was a genuinely nice guy, so I don't really buy the argument some critics have made that this movie is man-hating.

The movie was more about miscommunication and conflicting feels/interests in relationships, not "DIE MEN MEN ARE EVIL DIE."

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:37 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Men are idiots and Women are psychos, but with the very popular cast, its charming and very funny at times. I really enjoyed this. B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Sappy, syrupy, silly, illogical, predictable and glossy, this movie falls right into a thousand different stereotypes, however, these stereotypes are rarely illustrated as intelligently and enjoyably as in this movie. There are definitely to many stories that intertwine in only small ways, but each one has its' merits, and is at least enjoyable, the emotional scene bog down the film at times, but they are well acted and directed (with the exception of Jennifer Connely's uneven performance) and they are surprisingly poignant. In addition there are plenty of very comical moments, especially when Justin Long and Ginnifer Goodwin are on screen together. Jenifer Aniston and Ben Affleck are kind of boring, and easily the weakest story, they seem to just be there for star support, but even their tale has poignant moments and Affleck balances out the bad guys by playing a truly good hearted man. All in all, this is falls into most of the traps of "chick-flicks" but if you don't mind sitting through the cliches than its' hard to find a movie that does more to make up for them.
7.5/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:24 pm
Leader of the Pack

Yeah, this was pretty bad. I will let me review do the rest of the talking... D+

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2009/02 ... taining-2/

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:28 am

Le Viper wrote:
Yeah, this was pretty bad. I will let me review do the rest of the talking... D+

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2009/02 ... taining-2/

"quirky plot.....plotless" ummm I see a problem there.
In addition most of the criticism is very opinionated, with things like annoying, that are a broad insult rather than a fair analysis.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:31 pm

Chia Pet wrote:
Sam wrote:

Agree. It paints men as cheating jerks who view women as "expendable" to quote one character in the movie aside from the cliched reversal the suits surely required for the obligatory (somewhat) happy ending. Not that women were portrayed as great either but their problems were pretty much all linked to how terrible men have been to them. The whole thing was mostly putrid.

other than Bradley Cooper, who was actually a pretty relateable guy who made a few serious mistakes, and Justin Long's character sounds like a jerk but turns out to have a great heart, and Afleck and Kevin Connely are actually very nice good hearted people from beginning to end. If anything the women are insulted, being painted as either a slut "Scarlet Johnasen" a crazy stalker girl "Ginnifer Goodwin" and a marriage-obsessed neurotic woman "Jennifer Aniston".

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:35 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I dont understand how someone could complain about the "cliche" relationships when the film was about these cliche characters, and the idea of some luckily becoming the exception by the end. They were cliche so you could relate to them.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 pm
Forum General

I thought it was decent, but a good chunk of it could have been cut. The performances across the board are good but the script is incredibly cliche and in the end, it just isn't worth it. Still, it was a decent effort and well worth one viewing.

7/10 (B-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Stanley Cup

After watching this movie I think women should be more offended by how they were portrayed then men. Not a single on of the female characters in this movie were likable except Barrymore. Everything in the end was too nicely tied together in a bow. Most of the characters acted like a bunch of fucking morons and the movie was boring as hell.

At least the performances were good though. Even Affleck.

D.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Cliche'd as all hell.
Predictable as all hell.

But it was still decent because of the performances!

B-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Veteran

Great performances with nice insight into relationships. Some story lines were weaker than others, but it was a fun little movie. B+

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:54 pm
College Boy Z

I'm gonna have to agree that the portrayal of relationship situations were definitely off (not that it was completely anti-men). Like, honestly...women are the ones sweating, pacing back-and-forth waiting for the text or phone call? Pffft.

But even so, I still liked it. Predictable, but often really funny, with solid performances all around.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:18 pm
Wallflower

HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU - 7/10 ( B )

A solid romantic dramedy. I really liked Ginnifer Goodwin and Justin Long in it, despite Ginnifer's character being extremely hard to watch. My cousin and I were cringing.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:45 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Libs wrote:
I really, really liked this movie. Lots of surprisingly relatable humor and even dramatically affecting at certain point. Among the large cast (Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Connelly, Kevin Connolly, Bradley Cooper, Ginnifer Goodwin, Scarlett Johansson, Justin Long), there are no weak links. Aniston and Connelly fare the best with less lighthearted material (not surprisingly considering some of their past roles), while Ginnifer Goodwin is endearing in the movie's largest role. I loved the title cards ("...If he's not marrying you") accompanied by the people giving the interviews to the camera. At 127 minutes, it wears out its welcome a bit by the end, but I was having too much of a good time watching it to really notice. B+

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

B+ from me too,

Who didn't hate Scarlett Johansson and Bradley Cooper in this movie though? I wanted to kill their asses!

Favourite Storylines: Ginnifer, Aniston/Affleck

For all these people calling these characters such a cliche, i saw more of myself and people i know in them than any major romantic comedy i have seen.

I also think people are looking at the gender thing as an insult to men when infact, this is just a statement on dating which happens to have taken a female point of view.

I could see a sequel of "She's just not that into you" .
In all i think some of the things said about dating and men were a mile off, but the stuff about guys not being that into you and using all of these little lies and techniques to distance themselves whilst getting what they want from a girl? That shit is pretty true. I think it had a lot of little lessons rang pretty true to me in this movie. It's a two way street though, and i think thats the issue a lot of people had.
That said, Scarlett Johansson "just wasnt that into" Kevin Connelly.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I find it comical how people wish the movies to reflect kindly upon men and women, when any man or woman who's ever been in love, or been dating for any length of years knows fine well that people are not always worthy of kind reflection.

I'm not saying the world is full of evil terrible people, but dating in todays world is like wading through liars, mind-games and people after one thing.

This movie reflected badly on men and women in different ways, and I think that whilst it was maybe a little harsh on guys we have to remember the intended audience of this movie. Sex and the City has been hard on guys for years, because its something for women and needs to share their concerns and fears and thoughts to function.

I really don't see what's a huge stretch though, I think most of us at some point have become wrapped up in someone that isn't as interested in them, and for the life of us we can't figure out whats going on, I've seen denial from myself in that situation before but at the end of the day, the idea of "S/He's Just Not That Into You" is pretty universally understandable, because no matter how successful in love, everyone's been on both sides of that spectrum before.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Sam wrote:
Man, the dating "rules" presented in this movie are worth an F.

I think you haven't dated enough or have had that many relationships, then. but ur gay

The themes and characters presented in this film are quite fairly accurate and a lot of things are overdone for comedic effect, like standing by the phone.

I could definitely see myself and a lot of my friends in this movie, for better or worse. I think no sex came off that bad, considering the book that the movie is based on is a self-help book, and i do think some men are bastards and some women are that crazy. And i think in many ways, this film is about self help. I was probably more offended by the gay/straight comparison they did at once stage in the movie.

Having said all that, the movie is really flat in a lot of areas and I found that the film dragged in quite a few places. I thought the acting was serviceable across the board but nothing special.

I definitely identify myself with Scarlett Johansson's character.
B-

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm
Extraordinary

Think of your dream nightmare date movie, 'kay?

Smart Trite, funny witless, cute unconvincing, sexy irritating... but ya can only pick two...

After seeing He's Just Not That Into You, I find it impossible to decide.

:zzz: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:45 am
Wallflower

getluv wrote:
I was probably more offended by the gay/straight comparison they did at once stage in the movie.

Yeah, I wasn't too pleased by it either.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:55 am

Mike wrote:
getluv wrote:
I was probably more offended by the gay/straight comparison they did at once stage in the movie.

Yeah, I wasn't too pleased by it either.

Being gay I did not find it offensive but rather funny. It was certainly an exaggeration based on true events, just like all of this movie. Gays *dating signs* or whatever you want to call them are certainly not as simplistic or crude as they claim but it is based on truth.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next