Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

What grade would you give this film?
A 52%  52%  [ 36 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 69

Killing With Kindness

Post Re: Avatar [2009]
Dr. Lecter wrote:
There's no IMAX anywhere close to me either.

we're getting one< I hope it'll be ready come summer time :D

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Maybe by around 2025 we'll get one as well.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Maybe by around 2025 we'll get one as well.

ouch, :( , the theater in question was supposed to be ready by the time Avatar was released but they are way behind schedule :disgust:

is there any cities close with one that dont take to log to get to?

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:08 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Nope, the closest one with an IMAX showing Avatar is probably...hmm...four hours by train? Maybe longer.... Then again, I think there are only two IMAX theatres in all of Germany showing Avatar.

Funnily enough there used to be two IMAX theatres in my state one only an hour away, the other maybe 90-100 minutes...both closed this decade (around 2001-2003, I think).

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Nope, the closest one with an IMAX showing Avatar is probably...hmm...four hours by train? Maybe longer.... Then again, I think there are only two IMAX theatres in all of Germany showing Avatar.

Funnily enough there used to be two IMAX theatres in my state one only an hour away, the other maybe 90-100 minutes...both closed this decade (around 2001-2003, I think).

4 hours :( why did the two close ones close back in (2001-2003)

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:25 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

No idea...I didn't even know they were closed until I started looking for IMAX theatres showing Avatar...

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
No idea...I didn't even know they were closed until I started looking for IMAX theatres showing Avatar...

are there any large single screens(70mm?) in your area capable of 3d. the problem with most theaters have small screens which dont show cameron's vision in full glory.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:40 am
You must have big rats

Hmm, not that I know of, but I've gotta look.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

A technological masterpiece that doesn't have quite the same heart and emotion that would put in the same league as A New Hope. Best case example; towards the end of the movie when Neytiri is holding Jake outside of the palm making it the first time that the two species have interacted (I think/can't remember). That scene is supposed to show us the love that each of these two characters have for one another. At the same time we're also supposed to marvel at the special effects of a CGI character holding an actual actor. I was only able to appreciate the effects of the scene. By that point in the film I really didn't care about Neytiri, Jake, and the tribe.

The first 90 minutes are pretty perfect though. I had the same awe and amazement I had when I saw A New Hope the first time. I think I liked the actual science fiction aspect of the film more than anything else.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

F

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:50 am
Extraordinary

Jmart wrote:
A technological masterpiece that doesn't have quite the same heart and emotion that would put in the same league as A New Hope. Best case example; towards the end of the movie when Neytiri is holding Jake outside of the palm making it the first time that the two species have interacted (I think/can't remember). That scene is supposed to show us the love that each of these two characters have for one another. At the same time we're also supposed to marvel at the special effects of a CGI character holding an actual actor. I was only able to appreciate the effects of the scene. By that point in the film I really didn't care about Neytiri, Jake, and the tribe.

The first 90 minutes are pretty perfect though. I had the same awe and amazement I had when I saw A New Hope the first time. I think I liked the actual science fiction aspect of the film more than anything else.

Disagree with that. In that particular scene there's no reason to be thinking about a CGI person holding a real person. Your thought should be strictly on the emotional impact of that moment otherwise you're overanalyzing scenes imo.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:33 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

No, it's fine that he was focused on the effects, as did I the first time I saw it.

If he sees it a second time, the effects wash into the background.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:38 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
pahahahah

Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think he means he took his 3D glasses off.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:19 pm

nghtvsn wrote:
Jmart wrote:

Disagree with that. In that particular scene there's no reason to be thinking about a CGI person holding a real person. Your thought should be strictly on the emotional impact of that moment otherwise you're overanalyzing scenes imo.

You can't appreciate both things at once?

Anyways, that was my point. I shouldn't have been focused on the effects but instead on the love story. I wasn't. The movie failed to generate enough emotion out of me. By that point, I didn't care about the characters so much. Instead I could only be left to appreciate the effects.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jmart wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
Jmart wrote:

You can't appreciate both things at once?

Anyways, that was my point. I shouldn't have been focused on the effects but instead on the love story. I wasn't. The movie failed to generate enough emotion out of me. By that point, I didn't care about the characters so much. Instead I could only be left to appreciate the effects.

As I already said... because it's the first time you saw it, you should be focused on the effects. See it again and I guarantee you will appreciate the story 10 fold.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:22 pm
Z

The movie has no characters. There is not reason to care for them.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
Profile WWW

I hope you're right Chip, but I'm leaning with Argos at the moment (except for Weaver).

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I saw this a second time, this time in RealD as opposed to Dolby 3D... and WOW, what a difference. I am officially in LOVE with RealD.

Loved the movie just as much the second go 'round, and my dad, stepmom, and grandma all adored it, too. My stepmom was the one who started the applause when the movie ended, LOL.

On a side note, all the movies that people have compared Avatar to in an attempt to disparage it... Well, I've only see Dances With Wolves (but that was probably over 15 years ago) and Ferngully...

Well, today I finally saw Ferngully again for the first time in YEARS and... yeah, I can kinda see where the comparisons are coming in, mostly story-wise. It's kinda like Ferngully was foremost the perspective of the encroached native whereas Avatar is foremost the perspective of the sympathetic encroacher.

So... while, yes, similar stories, they are still told differently, and I think that's okay.

Joy

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:17 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Chip Munkington wrote:

As I already said... because it's the first time you saw it, you should be focused on the effects. See it again and I guarantee you will appreciate the story 10 fold.

Is it a good thing when you have to see a film twice to appreciate the story? If the story is bad or uninteresting, I usually don't bother to watch the film again -- even if I rather enjoy the special effects.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:31 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Saw it again yesterday and it's still A++ :D

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Mesjarch wrote:
Saw it again yesterday and it's still A++ :D

:thumbsup:

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I already went nuts over this film in the International numbers thread over in Box Office Bash (I was going to talk numbers only, I got carried away), so I won't do it again here... but I really freaking loved it.

Still, this amused me greatly:

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 pm
Stanley Cup

sounds about right

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm
Z

Best original screenplay!

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next