Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Signs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Signs 
College Boy Z

Post Signs
Signs

Quote:
Signs is a 2002 American science fiction thriller film directed by M. Night Shyamalan. It was adapted from a screenplay also written by Shyamalan. Executive producers for the film comprised Shyamalan, Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, and Sam Mercer. The story focuses on a former preacher named Graham Hess, who discovers a series of crop circles in his cornfield. Hess slowly becomes convinced that the phenomena are a result of extraterrestrial life. Veteran actors Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Rory Culkin, and Abigail Breslin star in principal roles. Signs explores faith, kinship and extraterrestrial life.

A joint collective effort to commit to the film's production was made by Touchstone Pictures, Blinding Edge Pictures, and The Kennedy/Marshall Company. It was commercially distributed by Touchstone Pictures theatrically, and by Buena Vista Home Entertainment in home media format. Following its theatrical run, the film was nominated for multiple awards, including those from the Online Film Critics Society and the Empire Awards. The film also won an award from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. On August 2, 2002, the original motion picture soundtrack was released by the Hollywood Records label. The film score was composed by musician James Newton Howard.

Following its premiere in theaters nationwide in the United States on August 2, 2002, the film grossed $227,966,634 in domestic ticket receipts screening at 3,453 theaters during its widest release. It earned an additional $180,281,283 in business through international release to top out at a combined $408,247,917 in gross revenue. Considering its $72 million budget costs, the film was technically considered a strong financial success after its theatrical run, and was generally met with positive critical reviews before its initial screening in cinemas. The high-definition Blu-ray Disc editions of the film featuring the director's audio commentary, the making of the film, and deleted scenes was released in the United States on June 3, 2008.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:41 am
---------

One of my favorite movies ever. It is just the right type of scary movie that I like. The acting is perfect, as Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, and the two kids both do an amazing job. The camera and effects are brilliant. They look very sharp and the colors are very vibrant (something I like in movies). The sound is near perfect. The crop rustling, alien sounds, everything. The score is absolutely amazing and freaky, though there's not much to it.

My Grade: 93.0 A/A-

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:23 pm
College Boy Z

It wasn't as scary as people say it is, but it was a damn good movie. M Night Shamylan's best movie. Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix both did excellent, as did the two children. The movie was a bit freaky too, and it doesn't have an over-the-top, stupid, idiotic ending like The Village.

My Grade: A-

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:49 pm
Veteran

Like The Sixth Sense, this movie is best in it's quiet moments. Most movies rely on building music and sudden movements to scare the audience, but it's the quietness of Signs that is the most frightening.

Gibson gives a strong performance, maybe one of his best. Phoenix and the kids are also very good. I'm not sure if it's better than The Sixth Sense, but it certainly has a better repeat viewing factor.

I rate it an A-.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I never liked it that much. It's a good movie but nowhere near great. B-

Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

One of the top ten best of its year and in my top 5 favorites of all time.
This was an amazing film. Shymalan's best film to date. It was more than just a suspense thriller, it had real substance. It was simple, yet extremely well executed. All the actors did top notch jobs.... you really forget that it's Mel Gibson and believe his role.
I must also say, though at comparitively different times of my life, it was a more spiritual movie for me than the Passion of the Christ (which quality wise was an equally great film).

My Grade: solid A

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:53 am
now we know

Shyamalans best movie. Mel Gibson is superb in it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Signs is brilliant. Probably the scariest/creepiest movie I've seen in a very long time (I actually jumped about 3 or 4 times, which is quite rare considering my desensitization to such things). That scene in the cornfield at night with Gibson's character spotting the leg of the alien was just masterfully done - instant shivers up your spine type of moment. When I saw it for the first time and the part when it all comes together played out before me, well, let me say that I was kind of overwhelmed and almost moved to tears at how brilliant it was. Such was the power of this movie that I was actually a little spooked when I got out of my friend's car to walk up to my front door. Shyamalan just has a way of creating genuine suspense through his simple, yet effective direction. Newton-Howard delivers a kick-ass score that evokes the great Bernard Hermann. This was the third of four films that he has worked with Night on, all four being completely different from one another and I really hope they continue to work together and form one of those long lasting Spielberg/Williams type of relationships. Gibson and Phoenix were good, the kids were good and a special mention goes to that lady who played the police officer (don't know her name, but she was also in The Village).

A+

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:25 am
Veteran

Based on the Hindu philosophy that there are no coincidences in life and everything happens for a reason. Decent Movie. Like his other movies Shyamalan gets the most using the least resources. No huge explosions, gross makeup or huge budgets. Who was the bigger star here? Shyamalan or Gibson?

B+

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

You mean Cherry Jones perhaps?

Yes, that's her :smile: .

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Shyamalans downward trend continues with this mediocre alien piece. It has a really good beginning, but gets worse with every second. The scene with the cellofan on thei head is ridiculous, same with when Phoenix sees an Alien on the TV and stumbles back into the closet in shock - unintentionally funny... And Shyamalan just shouldn't do more than a Cameo, he's a terrible actor. (C+)

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:44 am
Teh Mexican

i think this is M. Shyamalans best movie, scary, spooky, I LIKE IT!!
this is defenetly one of my favorites!!

i love the pasr when the alien shows up at a kid birthday party!!

A-

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:18 pm
Speed Racer

I loved this movie, and I thought Mel Gibson was amazing in it

A+

Radditz: "My secret? Well let's just say that every serious fighter starts their day
with Cheerios."

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Great soundtrack, decent acting by Gibson and an interesting story. The scares are well-placed and the film manages to keep the viewer on the edge of his seat most of the time. The ending is rather disappointing, though. The movie relies too much on the theme of "coincidence" and by that kills some logic here. Nonetheless, it's Shyamalan's 2nd best film, behind The Sixth Sense only and retains its rewatchability after many viewings.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

C+

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:04 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 7:55 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Great Film..Phoneix and Gibson and brilliant in this film..In my top 20...A

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Very good movie, the best of Shamylan's work in my opinion. THe sixth sense was good, but I always felt overrated and overshadowed Unbreakable and Signs.

Gibson's last performance was a very memorable one. I want you to return Mel. Call Richard Donner up and get Sam and George rolling.

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:40 pm
You must have big rats

I agree. Enough with directing, Mel. Get back to acting and maybe you'll actually end up winning an Oscar as an actor eventually!

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Still only 3rd best for Shamaylans films, but that's no insult, heh. Fantastic alien story, really thought provoking with great direction and acting. The shots where you see the bits and parts of the aliens in the field are very well done.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:00 pm
Mod Team Leader

As suspenceful as it is, and as scary as it is at times, it turns into a laugher with its absurdity. I know its all been said before, but really, they can master time travel but not a door knob? They are allergic to water but attack a planet that is 70% water? Whatever.

5/10

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I want you to return Mel. Call Richard Donner up and get Sam and George rolling.

As soon as possible!

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

While the "twist" towards the end is pretty much flat out 'stupid,' and proves that Shamaylan is a complete and utter wuss, there were some genuinely terrifying moments.
I guess it was an entertaining movie, but not really a good one.
C 7/10

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:00 pm
Forum General

Well, to me, the "twist" (we're talking about "swing away", right?) wasn't so much a twist as it was a gimmick that Shyamalan tried to weave through the film to make thematic connections, etc. Nonetheless, it didn't really work for me.

I loved the film as a whole, though. Scared me, loved the elements of faith, and I think Gison was good enough that he could've scored some awards attention in a weaker year.

A-

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next