Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Alvin and the Chipmunks 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

Alvin and the Chipmunks 
Extraordinary

Post Alvin and the Chipmunks
Alvin and the Chipmunks

Quote:
Alvin and the Chipmunks is a 2007 comedy film directed by Tim Hill. Based on the animated series of the same name, the film stars Jason Lee, David Cross, and Cameron Richardson with the voices of Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler, and Jesse McCartney. It was distributed by 20th Century Fox and produced by Regency Enterprises and Bagdasarian Productions. The film was critically panned, but was a major financial success: on a budget of $60 million, it made $217 million in North America and $361 million at the box office worldwide, and was the seventh-best selling DVD of 2008, earning over $101 million.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:14 am
Forum General

Post Re: Alvin and the Chipmunks
I can't believe how bad this movie is doing with critics. I mean, like the guy from the L.A. Daily News said in his review: "It could've been a lot worse. Its a singing Chipmunks movie for Pete sake!" I swear, critics have no souls. It was a cute kids movie that was fun for the inner-child in us all. What do they want? A hardcore drama? I swear, if a kids movie isn't made by Pixar, critics simply make up their minds before going in.

I give it a 3/5

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow, you actually went to see it?

I agree with critics who hold kid's movies to the same standard of any other movie. Just because it's for kids doesn't mean your standards of what makes a good movie should be lowered. There have been lots of excellent, even Oscar-worthy kids movies.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Groucho wrote:

I agree with critics who hold kid's movies to the same standard of any other movie. Just because it's for kids doesn't mean your standards of what makes a good movie should be lowered. There have been lots of excellent, even Oscar-worthy kids movies.

i think the number 1 criteria for kid movies is if kids enjoy it. if they do, in my opinion, they hit their demographic and created a product that was 'good' for the crowd they wanted to cater to.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Fun movie with many hilarious moments. A little too long but otherwise a very worthy effort that got great reaction from kids in the audience (applause at the end, laughs throughout).

Grade: B+

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:52 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

bABA wrote:
Groucho wrote:

i think the number 1 criteria for kid movies is if kids enjoy it. if they do, in my opinion, they hit their demographic and created a product that was 'good' for the crowd they wanted to cater to.

yeah, like for example, The Brave Little Toaster. It didn't tear up the box office, and I'm sure as hell it wasn't Oscar worthy, or even probably received unanimously good reviews from critics, but I LOVED that movie as a kid. It truthfully is harder than you think to make a movie kids will enjoy. I liked the smallest, weirdest parts about kids' movies back then that I completely ignore when I watch a movie now. That might not make sense to people reading this, BUT IT MAKES SENSE TO ME.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:49 pm
He didn't look busy?!

I haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised that if I did, I would undoubtedly call it the worst film ever to make over $200 million [presuming it does so]. I honestly can't imagine one thing about this movie that could be cute or funny. Eating poop and pretending it's a nut? :huh:

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

billybobwashere wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised that if I did, I would undoubtedly call it the worst film ever to make over $200 million [presuming it does so]. I honestly can't imagine one thing about this movie that could be cute or funny. Eating poop and pretending it's a nut? :huh:

I doubt 8 year olds would like some of the movies that you enjoy. Tastes differ.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Archie Gates wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

I doubt 8 year olds would like some of the movies that you enjoy. Tastes differ.

not just that.

the trailer everyone keeps refering to shows nothing more than the poop eating scene and the chipmunks singing and dancing. so umm .. exactly what about this film does anyone actually know before going and watching it?

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

bABA wrote:
Archie Gates wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

not just that.

the trailer everyone keeps referring to shows nothing more than the poop eating scene and the chipmunks singing and dancing. so umm .. exactly what about this film does anyone actually know before going and watching it?

It's best to know as little as possible about any movie before seeing it.

In this case, all one needs to know is that the beloved 'munks are back and better than ever :D :yes: :cheer:

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:13 am
He didn't look busy?!

beloved? Beloved by who? It was a popular show in the '80s, yet its only audience seems to be five-year-olds. I don't think many of the people who saw this "loved" it, I think the only explanation is that they found the pooping and stuff legit funny. :unsure:

and i thought MY generation was screwed.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

:disgust: :sleeping:

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 pm
Orphan

Slightly longer review:

A sweet family film with a good heart and a surprisingly clean sense of humor (only 2 jokes having to do with bodily functions, a far cry from most kids films). On top of that, the chipmunks are just so incredibly cute (Theodore especially) and the songs are as good as ever. Brings back fond memories for those who grew up with the 'munks and is a great way to introduce a new generation to the little guys. Bring on a sequel.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:15 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

billybobwashere wrote:
beloved? Beloved by who? It was a popular show in the '80s, yet its only audience seems to be five-year-olds. I don't think many of the people who saw this "loved" it, I think the only explanation is that they found the pooping and stuff legit funny. :unsure:

It's Christmas, it's a movie catered to kids and a feel good type of movie at that.. What more could a kid not looking for every movie to be dark and gothic want around the holidays?? :roll:

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

billybobwashere wrote:
beloved? Beloved by who? It was a popular show in the '80s, yet its only audience seems to be five-year-olds.

They won 5 Grammy awards and were nominated for several Emmy's!

:glare:

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:39 pm
He didn't look busy?!

BKB's Ultimatum wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

It's Christmas, it's a movie catered to kids and a feel good type of movie at that.. What more could a kid not looking for every movie to be dark and gothic want around the holidays?? :roll:
i dunno, they could see WAY more intelligent family fare like Enchanted, The Golden Compass, National Treasure 2, and even Bee Movie [!], all but one of which will gross notably less than Alvin.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

This does look kinda cute, I may check it out.......on a $2 Pirate DVD.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:47 pm
Extraordinary

bABA wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Business-wise, yes. But that doesn't make the film any good, any more than Hanna Montana is good music.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:31 am
Profile WWW
The 5th B-Sharp

It wasn't terrible, and that is about all I can say for it. Jason Lee really is not into his role, neither is Tobias. Some pretty bad moments but only a few were cringe worthy. My brother loved, not sure why. D+

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:47 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Yeah. It was bad. The trailers actually kind of made it look funny. In reality, it was just another boring entry in the "evil manager takes a kid act too far and ruins them" (except this time they were chipmunks...) I really felt like I've seen the film before. That's probably because I have (sans chipmunks perhaps). The opening seen with "Bad Day" was pretty damn funny though.

C-

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:49 pm
College Boy Z

Low, low expectations helped. It wasn't that bad. It helps if you grew up watching the show, too. It's a harmless kid's flick, and it's actually kinda funny sometimes.

C

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:50 pm
He didn't look busy?!

so, uh, i gave this a shot [and wouldn't have if it weren't for my brother], and outside Jason Lee [who did a surprisingly decent job on his own throughout most of the film...as the chipmunks were added in after filming], this film was nothing but sentimental clichés, uninspired humor, and the most annoying singing/speaking voices I've ever listened to in a movie. I'm sure this is getting at least two sequels, and I know I sure as hell won't be there. Then again, I watched and was somewhat surprised by Fantastic Four 2, and I gave the original an "F", so who knows.

D

Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Alvin and the Chipmunks wasn't the awful film I was expecting, though it was far from a great one. There were some really cute parts (the scene where Theodore cuddled with Dave is one of the most adorable scenes of a film this year), there is a point where the film kind of just falls flat for about twenty minutes, and finally redeems itself by the end. It was cute, at times it was funny but like I said, some of it fell really flat and the acting from Jason Lee was atrocious. I do recommend it though, the cuteness factor definitely makes it worth seeing.

7/10 (B-)

Also, for those who keep complaining about the "poop eating" scene, it is one of only two poop jokes in the entire film, which is pretty shocking considering most kids movies these days have several.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I can see why younger audiences are enjoying this, but it's just such a mediocre family film and at times quite cringe-inducing. The plot is utterly predictable from beginning to end and absolutely nothing comes as a surprise. The film is also completely devoid of humor and each attempt falls flat. The performances are awful across the board - with Jason Lee and David Cross making complete fools of themselves and Cameron Richardson proving once again how untalented she is. Sure, it's never boring and the chipmunks are "cute," but this is just an annoying, childish kids movie that brings nothing new to the table. C/C-

Oh, and for the record, Pip, the chipmunk in Enchanted, is about a thousand times more entertaining than this trio combined ;)

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:39 pm
Profile YIM
Orphan

thompsoncory wrote:
I can see why younger audiences are enjoying this, but it's just such a mediocre family film and at times quite cringe-inducing. The plot is utterly predictable from beginning to end and absolutely nothing comes as a surprise. The film is also completely devoid of humor and each attempt falls flat. The performances are awful across the board - with Jason Lee and David Cross making complete fools of themselves and Cameron Richardson proving once again how untalented she is. Sure, it's never boring and the chipmunks are "cute," but this is just an annoying, childish kids movie that brings nothing new to the table. C/C-

Oh, and for the record, Pip, the chipmunk in Enchanted, is about a thousand times more entertaining than this trio combined ;)

Totally :disgust:

Doesn't get it

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next