Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Matrix Revolutions 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 24

The Matrix Revolutions 
All Star Poster

B

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:00 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

a boring film

B

And you gave it a B :blink:

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:13 pm
Begging Naked

The film LOOKS nice, I'll give it that. The Wachowskis were obviously a little overindulgent on the visuals, but I kinda enjoyed the energy in them. It was almost like they were doing a live-action comic book they had done themselves (Unlike 300, where Snyder was simply interpreting the images).

Too bad the script blew and the Wachowskis had apparently lost all ability to direct actors to a decent performance. I felt really bad for Hugo Weaving through most of it. What an awful performance, especially when you consider how menacing and awesome he was in the original. Here it was just sad.

Eh.

**/****

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:00 am
Profile WWW
why so serious?

I loved The Matrix. The Matrix Reloaded was on nearly the same level. The Matrix Revolutions however... Well, to be fair, Revolutions is not a bad film, but it brings the trilogy down a few nothces. I just wasn't really satisfied with it. The first thirty or so minutes were great, but then after that, everything just went a bit downhill. The Neo/Bane confrontation was great, but it was only a small section of the film. The last defense of Zion was visually impressive, but did little but show off visual effects while rendering the other characters useless. Trinity's death was pointless. Then Neo goes into the Matrix, where every inhabitant is now a clone of Agent Smith, but instead of a bigger version of the scene from Reloaded, he fights one of them in a rather anti-climactic clash of the titans of sorts. It's fun to watch, but the end result isn't really satisfying. Then, by time the movie ends, people are still stuck in the Matrix, the machines and the humans are no longer at war, and very little has been resolved. All said, the movie is entertaining, but it presents itself as the ending of a franchise, and in that respect, it doesn't go out with the kind of bang I expected it to.

Grade: B-

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:01 am
Stanley Cup

Film was a disaster. Really both this and reloaded were disasters.

D+

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:47 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Matrix Revolutions
As with everything else in the trilogy, the bits in the Matrix are far more interesting than the bits in the real world. The battle of Zion, while having some cool effects and some very nightmarish scenes, is fairly boring due to the lack of any interesting characters. The final battle, on the other hand, is much better because it has the two archetypal characters going head-to-head (it's still fairly silly, though). There are some bits that are relatively innovative and ingenious (the fight in Club Hel), but it's mostly predictable. The story is a convoluted mess that doesn't make a lot of sense, and the acting is pretty mediocre all-around. A great big disappointment.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Obscenely bad. All plot is dropped in favor of the most boring major action setpiece in film history.

D

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:24 pm
Extraordinary

A disappointing end. To me, The Matrix is always more about the philosophy (both eastern and western) and intriguing questions it raised than actions, even though the actions are spectacular. The first one mended them so well, the second one still examined and provoked, but the third one was basically all about actions, and even with more things blown to pieces, the excitement is nowhere near what the first one generated.

C-

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
DIB2 wrote:
a boring film

B

I can't ever imagine rating a boring movie a "B" (unless you're using some kind of custom alphabetical rating system - - eg: B for boring, E for excellent, A for atrocious, etc.)...

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:14 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I never reviewed this one????!?

Anyway, I loved Matrix Revolution... screw the haters. :disgust: The Matrix trilogy as a whole remains my favorite movie series of all time.

It had some very good action pieces wrapped in the middle of a good story, and a fitting end. I'm happy they didn't hand us a Hollywood-ized typical action movie ending that wrapped up everything neatly in the end, with an ultra-happy bow on top. The Wachowski's set out to make a big budget action film that wasn't like the others, and they definitely succeeded. It's just too bad we don't have more movies like the Matrix today. Everything has moved back toward low brow, by the book sequels. *yawn*!

I will say that MRev was my least favorite of the trilogy, if I were forced to rank them. Just for the pure fact they spent the least amount of time within the Matrix of any of the 3, and some of the major stars go missing for a large chunk of the movie. However, this is not to say I thought it was bad... it still rocked, just slightly less than the first 2.

Matrix Revolutions gets a solid A from me.

I just bought the HD-DVD trilogy and looking forward to sitting down to revisit all 3 and to see if my opinion still holds. It has been a year or two since I've seen any of them.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:28 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

Yeah, what the fuck happened to Morpheus in Revolutions. He kind of seemed after the first two movies he might've had a bigger role?

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

A solid ending to the trilogy, even though it could've been spectacular. The effects and action are amazing, and the battle of Zion is AMAZING. I really cared for all the supporting characters (something that pleasantly surprised me), the Zee-Link romance, Sati, etc. Morpheous kinda got relegated to the sidelines though. Still, its a good movie, despite some bad acting and cheesy moments, too many questions left unresolved and no "mass Matrix unplug" moment I was so looking forward to. Still, in a way I can't explain, its GOOD.

B

Tue May 06, 2008 6:02 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I can't even get through this movie anymore. I've never seen a series drop so fast in quality or anticipation. Going from seeing Reloaded at a 10PM sneak preview to not even renting reloaded and catching it on HBO one night. And my predictions were right, this movie had bad acting, a silly plot trying to be so epic and metaphorical, and boring action sequences with probably the worst effects of the series.

D-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed May 07, 2008 12:09 am
Extraordinary

I thought the FX were good, there just wasn't anything interesting around them. Pretty pictures get boring quickly.

Wed May 07, 2008 11:45 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

B-

Revolutions is decent for a second-tier throwaway film. Not worse than a lot of tripe that gets released.

Fri May 09, 2008 12:27 pm
He didn't look busy?!

The Matrix was brilliant on both a storytelling and visual level.

The Matrix Reloaded fucked up the whole story element, but the visuals were better than ever, featuring some of the most entertaining action I've ever watched in a film (namely that freeway chase).

But The Matrix Revolutions succeeds on neither level. Unlike Reloaded, it doesn't have frequent and fun action; instead, it focuses mostly on a boring story set outside the Matrix, and whenever action scenes do arise, they are usually very serious/sad, and while that is normally a good thing, when you don't care about the story anymore, it makes the entire experience a disaster. Matrix Reloaded may have been a disappointment, but it wasn't a disaster.

D

Fri May 09, 2008 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Just rewatched this again for the first time in a while. First time I saw it was like 5 years ago on a bus without sound (so they had subtitles), combined with not seeing Reloaded, I wasn't paying much attention at the time

I liked it a lot more than Reloaded, mainly cause everything in the plot matters and pushes the film in a direction. Both Neo and Morpheus' plots head towards a clear destination, then the battle is surprisingly well done compared to what I remembered. Very clean and easy to see what's happening, despite the mass machinery.

The Smith-Neo fight is excellently executed and written. Very good final battle to end the series.

Good Matrix sequel and what Matrix Reloaded should've been. Reloaded wasting soooo much time is my biggest qualm with this series, it realy slows the whole thing down. Ultimately it feels like Reloaded and Revolutions is one big film, with the first half mostly setting up the last half, but overall I feel it could've been 2.5 hours instead of 4.5 and just lived with one awesome sequel instead of a trilogy, like Terminator 2

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:42 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This could have been any good stand alone sci-fi movie but doesn't work very well as Matrix trilogy conclusion. The graphics are still pretty good but when they keep flowing scene over scene its just mind numbing action without much of a payoff. It does not help that the end is not exactly conclusive for a series that should have a simple solution. The final fight between Neo and Smith wasn't great as well, nor was the conclusion of Trinity and Neo's story which was pretty much the formation of Reloaded. This brings the overall trilogy down to generic standards which had a GREAT original movie.

Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 am
Hold the door!

Very pretty to look at but characters and plot are dull and not engaging.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:07 am
Extraordinary

This was tough to rewatch... pretty bad overall tbh. Lacks everything cool about the first 2 and is just... boring.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2