Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Matrix 

What grade would you give this film?
A 81%  81%  [ 17 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

The Matrix 
College Boy Z

Post The Matrix
The Matrix

Quote:
The Matrix is a 1999 science fiction-action film written and directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano, and Hugo Weaving. It was first released in North America on March 31, 1999, and in Australia on April 8, 1999, and is the first installment in the Matrix series of films, comic books, video games, and animation.

The film depicts a future in which reality as perceived by most humans is actually a simulated reality created by sentient machines to pacify and subdue the human population, while their bodies' heat and electrical activity are used as an energy source. Upon learning this, computer programmer "Neo" is drawn into a rebellion against the machines, involving other people who have been freed from the "dream world" and into reality.

The film contains many references to the cyberpunk and hacker subcultures; philosophical and religious ideas such as René Descartes' evil genius, the Allegory of the Cave, the brain in a vat thought experiment; and homages to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Hong Kong action cinema, spaghetti westerns, dystopian fiction, and Japanese animation.

The best movie ever made.

A+

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:18 pm
loyalfromlondon

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:40 pm
The Incredible Hulk

One of my favorites, loved the long black trench coat look and Morpheus' sunglasses.

Great use of slow-mo SFX, and the whole storyline was excellent. Good stand alone film that did not need a sequel.

A+

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Best plot/story ever.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:13 pm
Indiana Jones IV

A+

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

i saw this movie 2 times and those 2 time i fell asleep!!it was kinda boring, and the third time a saw it with a very strong cup of cofee, it was OK!, the slow motion scenes are great, and the SFX are pretty damn good!

B+

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:56 am
Veteran

A+

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

The best Matrix film, obviously, and pretty good all around. I would call it above average, but, ya, the first time I fell asleep. :lol:

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:47 pm
Extraordinary

The greatest compliment I can give The Matrix, one of the greatest compliments I could give any film, is that this is a film cannot be denied. Love it or hate it, you cannot ignore it. On its own, it has made itself influential to the extent that one can safely assume it will, in one form or another, be around for as long as cinema itself. In the long tradition of great sci-fi films, from Metropolis to 2001: A Space Odyssey and beyond, this is a benchmark that other films are and will be measured up against.

An enthusiastic A for one of the few genuinely influential film experiences I've ever had in life.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

This movie is fantastic and easily the best movie in The Wackowski Brother's careers!

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:47 pm
now we know

Good movie, brilliant movie. The third installment is better, by a fraction, but this is also a classic, i love the lobby scene, like most people i imagine, wll filmed and look at the weaponry :shock:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:12 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

It really has a great story and awesome action. Better than it's sequels. A

Last edited by Riggs on Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

My all time #1 film. There is no equal. A+

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:06 pm
Mod Team Leader

A movie that makes you question reality, 2 July 1999

I'll be honest here, I had no interest in seeing The Matrix. It was my opinion that this was going to be a convoluted mumble jumble film. I had pre-conceived notions going into the film and I tried hard to stick with them. It is a strange thing really, because I try to like a film more than dislike, but I had such ( at the time ) an anti computer film attitude. I have always thought that computer films were the same. But I am happy to say that I was so wrong. Man was I wrong.

First let's get the comparisons out of the way. The 13th Floor and The Matrix have similar themes, but that is where the similarity stops. I don't think the makers makers of either film copied each other. After all, with this subject matter, there is enough to easily make two different films. Both films are excellent in their own right and as I said when I reviewed The 13th Floor, the only reason that The Matrix did better business is because it was marketed better. And don't forget they seemed to copy a previous film that came out earlier called Dark City.

Keanu Reeves plays Neo. In his other life, he is a computer hacker with a seemingly normal job. But he has inner demons. There is a part of him that believes something is wrong with the world. And then finally one day, he is given an ultimatum by a stranger. He can learn all the secrets that he believes are out there or he can stay in his drab life and never know the truth. What do you think he does? Hmmm.

He is taken into a world by a bunch of renegade freedom fighters led by Lawrence Fishburne, who plays Morpheus. And this is where I think the strength of the film lies. It is here that we learn what the Matrix is. And of course I don't think anyone reviewing this film is going to give away what that is, but just saffice it to say that it will stay with you for a while, especially if you are like me and occassionally question reality every now and then.

The true strength of this film is not just Reeves, but Fishburne. I remember seeing Fishburne in a little known film called Deep Cover. I thought he was outstanding in that film and I was convinced that was his best work. That is until the Matrix came out. Here, he has a similar job as Michael Biehn had in the original Terminator. It was his job to explain to us, the audience, what was going on and how it was all possible. And a script like this is a delicate thing to handle. There is so much information that it would be easy for another writer and another director ( fortunately they are the same here ) to give us a condensed version of what is in the film. But they are brave enough and have confidence in their material to tell it the way it should be told. And for that I am so thankful because it is really an intelligent story.

So much has been made of the visuals in this film and I guess I would be remiss if I didn't at least comment on them here as well. They are outstanding. You will never see better stunts in any movie. The choreography is so perfect it really is like watching a perfectly executed martial arts routine. It flows so well that it makes you feel like you are there experiencing what is happening. I don't think I will ever forget some of the fight scenes in this film. They are sheer brilliance.

But mostly what is enjoyable about The Matrix is the questions that it asks and how it answers them. What is the Matrix? Well, well I'm not going to give it away. As I said it is one of the parts of the movie that will keep you intrigued and will astonish you at the same time. This is a very good film and it's visionary outbursts are worth the price of a rental alone. But it has a great story to it as well and that should be enough for anyone to want to see it.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A+++

This movie is to awesome to put into words.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I used to give this a 10 but the sequels hurted my opinion of this movie.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Killing With Kindness

8/10

why would the sequals hurt your opinion on the origonal film :???:

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

StarWarsEpisode7 wrote:
8/10

why would the sequals hurt your opinion on the origonal film :???:

Because sequels usually continue the story and now the "story" of the sequels also ruined this story.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

The second best Man vs. Machine movie ever, just behind Terminator 2

A+

Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:03 am
Superfreak

one of those non-summer action films that look cool so you go see.

well guess what.

this one was AMAZING!!!!!!!

A++++++++++++++++FOREVER!

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:01 am
Superfreak

one of those non-summer action films that look cool so you go see.

well guess what.

this one was AMAZING!!!!!!!

A++++++++++++++++FOREVER!

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:01 am
Extraordinary

Good, but doesn't hold up to repeat viewing. Reloaded's just as good.

Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:39 pm
life begins now

Post Re: The Matrix
A complete party for my eyes...I loved every freakin' minute of it.

A

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:38 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next