Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Street Kings 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Street Kings 

Post Street Kings
Street Kings

Quote:
Street Kings is a 2008 action-crime film, directed by David Ayer, and starring Keanu Reeves, Hugh Laurie, Forest Whitaker and Chris Evans. It was released in theaters on April 11, 2008.

The initial screenplay drafts were written by James Ellroy in the late 1990s under the title The Night Watchman.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 am
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Street Kings
This felt and played like a poor man's version of the Shield. (which is an awesome show) This had every predictable cop cliche imaginable and a plot that was paper thin at best. The only real saving grace this film has is the performance from Hugh Laurie who has far to little screen time.

Grade D

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 am
Superman: The Movie

It doesn't work. The audience knows exactly what's going on as soon as Washington is gunned down. If you were listening half hartedly just the scene before, the film is very easy to figure out. That takes out any of the suspense the film might have had. I wouldn't have minded so much if the rest of the film was interesting, but it doesn't say anything new. It's just bland.

The film has some decent performances going for it, but when you know what happens 80 minutes before the lead character does, you just kind of want to hit him over the head.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I think some of the reviews have been a bit harsh. Sure, the plot is mostly telegraphed, but there is still some tense scenes and Keanu gives a pretty good performance. The guy from Fantastic Four is also strong.

Maybe I'm just too big of a James Ellroy and hard-boiled cop drama fan.

B-

Last edited by Caius on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Damn dirty cops!

Street Kings is yet another example of the dirty cop genre - - and bless it's B-movie soul - - it don't take itself none too serious!

Pleasantly byzantine corruption labyrinth piles up until it's darn near to topplin' over, but by luck or by design, dang it if the freakin' movie don't go and end just in the nick 'o time...

Keanu Reeves puts another believable notch in his acting belt, despite the naysayers, and Forest Whitaker's been in every movie I've seen in the past fortnight - - ya know, the LAPD might not be half as rotten if they didn't let Idi Amin be a police captain. And then there's a whole raft of solid supporting scum that goes and makes the whole thing seem less the fairy tale, and more the documentary.

Yup, a solid little entertainer, with just enuf laughs to leaven the worth...

6 out of 5.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:41 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was alright, but nothing more than a passable time waster. This has been done many times before, and the plot is riddled with cliches and predictable plot twists. The performances aren't anything to write home about either. Chris Evans was the standout and Keanu Reeves was respectable, but the other actors were completely phoning it in. Forest Whitaker has been on a losing streak after his virtuoso performance in The Last King Of Scotland, and that continues here. His bland and unconvincing performance is one of the film's biggest faults. Hugh Laurie is also wasted in an underdeveloped supporting role. Granted, there are several tense scenes and it really picks up in the second act, but it's definitely not a film you'll remember long after seeing it. C+

Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:25 pm
Profile YIM
I'm Batman

It's ok, passable entertainment for a couple of hours. Some things really stick out as awkward and Keanu is pretty awful in this one. Why are Common and The Game's names shown on the dvd cover art if they're in the movie for a combined 5 minutes? It's also one of the most predictable movies ever. The twist of Forest's character being the mastermind behind everything. Could've done without the Huge Laurie ending of, "I knew this would happen, you just had to open your eyes."

- C+

Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:55 pm
College Boy Z

Pretty solid. Incredibly predictable, but still entertaining. Keanu Reeves, Chris Evans and Forest Whitaker are decent. The Game and Common barely had any freakin' screen time, though. It looked like they had major roles, but even Cedric the Entertainer had more scenes. But even so, Common was at least really bad ass. Hugh Laurie could have used more screen time too, but he was really good.

I don't know, I just enjoyed it. Good stuff.

**1/2

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:47 pm
loyalfromlondon

This could've been something better, with the Ellroy story, but instead it just becomes an L.A. Confidential update by way of Training Day. It purports to be some sort of epic Los Angeles crime saga, but it's so focused on this one character that it basically fails at that. There's glimpses of what it could've done by examining the story from a wider angle - basically the undercover cops who've lost sight of which side they're on - but it just turns into a chintzy revenge story. Lame.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:44 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I just caught it on Starz or Encore, nothing new here, but I enjoyed for what it was. B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:12 am
You must have big rats

B

Street Kings was better than expected, but I usually like this subgenre, so I suppose I was easy to please. Keanu Reeves doesn't seem as wooden in the role as he usually is and watching Forest Whitaker as a villain once again is just a joy. The rest of the cast doesn't leave much of an impression which is particularly sad in the case of Hugh Laurie (who just seems misplaced in this film). The brief appearances by Common and The Game were surprisingly impressive, though.

The film has its hiccups and it tries to be more than it is. It plays by the numbers and the plot is predictable too. But David Ayers has a nice eye for the visual style and the film conveys its grittiness and urban appeal very well. It's a nice hard-boiled thriller and a solid follow-up to Ayers' Harsh Times. Though I am sure that a better film could have been made out of Ellroy's source material.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]