Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Candyman 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Candyman 

Post Candyman
Candyman

Quote:
Candyman is a 1992 horror film starring Virginia Madsen, Tony Todd and Xander Berkeley. It was directed by Bernard Rose and is based on the short story "The Forbidden" by Clive Barker, though the film's scenario is switched from England to Chicago. The film was scored by Philip Glass. The film was met with critical acclaim and was a box office success. Candyman is the first film in a trilogy which includes Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh and Candyman 3: Day of the Dead.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Candyman
So yeah the premise..............................You stand In front of a mirror and say Candyman 5 times. Said Candyman then appears in the form of gravel voiced Tony Todd who then redecorates the room with your vital organs.

Questions?

Why the fuck would you do this unless you wanted the most awesome way to commit suicide ever!!
Why does the Candyman liberally slit up people like the Nuthouse doctor midway thru the film when he wasn't even the one who called him? Its breaking the rules damnit!!
How the hell does the Candyman manage to decapitacte a Dog and Steal a baby and leave Virgina Marsdens knocked out body at the place to implicate her....................SHE DIDN'T EVEN SAY CANDYMAN THAT TIME AND WAS MILES AWAY!!

However despite all these questions I always find Candyman immensely enjoyable. For one Tony Todd chews more drywall then a demolition squad and still hooks me in, and for some reason Marsden's husbands slut on the side walks around with no bra on!!

The main theme kicks all kinds of ass as well.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:54 am
You must have big rats

One of the better "classic" horror movies, in my opinion. Candyman is a great villain and Tony Todd has a blast playing him. Much like Gulli, the stupid actions of some characters amused me and sometimes the movie is just too inconsistent, but throughout the entire running time, there's just this sense of dread and that's a great achievement by a horror movie. Unlike Jason or even Michael Myers (don't kill me!), I found Candyman to be an intimidating villain and the movie to have its series of very suspenseful scenes. It doesn't hurt to have Virginia Madsen in the lead either.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Candyman scared the shit out of my 8 year old self. Would I still like it? Probably. Very disturbing stuff.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:43 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

yoshue wrote:
Candyman scared the shit out of my 8 year old self. Would I still like it? Probably. Very disturbing stuff.

Wow! Never expected you to like Candyman Yos. Cool thou :thumbsup:

Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:27 pm
Sbil

This was a highly original, considerably disturbing horror flick. One of the best in the genre. A-

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:57 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

CANDYMAN! CANDYMAN! CANDYMAN! CANDYMAN! CAND...!

A-

Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:03 pm
Extraordinary

but it's all downhill from here

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:00 am
100% That Bitch

B+.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:24 pm
On autopilot for the summer

He can build a rainbow!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:33 pm
Wallflower

It's either a B+ or A-. This scared me as a kid. Watched most of it again a year ago and still really enjoyed it.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 pm
The Kramer

Often frustrating, but always interesting, Candyman holds up strong in today's world, though obviously certain racial aspects would be changed, as I assume they are in the remake.

What I'm here to wonder is if Helen is a villain or not. The movie takes place entirely from her point of view, so her own quest comes off as rather heroic in her own eyes. I expect that in the 90s she was seen as a heroine as well. Yet ... she is also directly responsible for every single person who is harmed or killed in this movie. And she never stops until the fire does it for her. Why did the doctor deserved to be killed? Just to prove a point? There was many times during the film where I thought 'is this really any different than what Julia was doing in the first Hellraiser?'

I think they did a good enough job of making her a tragic figure at the end. We don't see the full story at first, of a husband who has clearly checked out on his marriage and begun an affair with a younger woman. Of a wife who is so desperate to prove to said husband that she is worth something more, that she is just as intelligent and daring as the rest of his peers. The wife, who slowly loses her mind in pursuit of this fictional holy grail accidently sets off a series of supernatural events that lead to the ones she loves/likes being killed in an effort to break her spirit. The wife, who no longer has any support since all her friends are dead and a husband who happily uses these horrific events to get what he wanted all along. We can still come back to the doctor, who did nothing but doubt a person he had very good reasons to believe was a psychotic murderer, but by that point the wife's mind is too far gone to take full responsibility. In the end, she atleast rights one wrong that was caused entirely by her. And the ending was awesome! She is right at home in the role of the new Candyman (though I know this does not last since the original is on the poster for the sequel.)

I'll give a B+. It could have been better with a little more self-awareness, the first two Hellraiser's always understood who the real villains were (aka not Pinhead),but I think the tecnical aspects (and my own interpretation of the story) are superb enough to make up for it . The score especially! Incredible themes.

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]