Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Get Carter (2000) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Get Carter (2000) 
College Boy Z

Post Get Carter (2000)
Get Carter

Quote:
Get Carter is the 2000 remake of the 1971 crime film of the same name, starring Sylvester Stallone in the title role. The film also features Miranda Richardson, Rachel Leigh Cook, Alan Cumming, Mickey Rourke, and Rhona Mitra. Michael Caine, who starred in the original, plays a supporting role. The film was released by Warner Bros., which had recently acquired the distribution rights to the original.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:56 pm
Golfaholic

Recently voted the worst remake ever made, it is terrible but not THAT terrible. Stallone acts clumsy, the story is a borefest, but the original wasn't a masterpiece either. (D+)

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:51 pm
We had our time together

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:48 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Ranks next to Driven as the worst Sly movie I have ever seen

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:53 am
Profile WWW
now we know

--

Get Carter - A+

Amazing film. It is up-to-date and modern, and better than the original by miles. Sly is brilliant and more believeable than Caine as Jack Carter. I love the gloves he wears when he goes to dispatch Eddie.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Get Carter (2000)
I didn't remember this so fondly before and recently I re-watched it not changing my feeling much. It just isn't all that great, though I think it's overall to harshly received as well. Even though it can't touch some of Stallone's best films, it falls in the same category as the last Rambo's, enjoyable, but the kind of dime a dozen films in their years.
Stallone is pretty cool in this but the goatee doesn't work for me, maybe because I never saw him in this style, but it doesn't resonate with me and the action, the staple in which should be Sly's strength does not have impact. It's hastily shot and the film is actually better in those scenes where Carter is playing the detective and going from place to place figuring out his brother's death. Rachael Leigh Cook is good in it and the score is aces too, but I'm just not able to get on board with the style over substance way the director expresses himself here. While I like some parts, it doesn't flow as a whole.

B-

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:26 am
now we know

Post Re: Get Carter (2000)
This is the best remake ever, in my opinion. I don't get the adoration for the original. This one is stylish and cool, with every scene grabbing me with its delectable soundtrack and visuals. It's a sleepy Seattle revenge thriller, which warrants it as a remake, too. So many remakes don't change much or anything, but this one does. Stallone is also excellently cast; stoic, sharp, physically domineering, and this gels well with the pace and tone of the film as an old fashioned mob guy in a modern tech world. I just love it. Every scene. Every decision. It's a shame it didn't do well at the box office because I believe Stephen Kay could have been such a great director.

And what a cast! It's a true ensemble. Stallone is obviously the main guy but you also have Mickey Rourke, Alan Cumming, Miranda Richardson, Michael Caine, Rachael Leigh Cook, Rhona Mitra, Gretchen Mol, and John C. McGinley. It's such a huge and acclaimed cast.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]