Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Major League 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Major League 

Post Major League
Major League

Quote:
Major League is a 1989 American satire comedy film written and directed by David S. Ward, starring Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Wesley Snipes, James Gammon, and Corbin Bernsen. Made for US$11 million, Major League grossed nearly US$50 million in domestic release. The film deals with the exploits of a fictionalized version of the Cleveland Indians baseball team and spawned two sequels (Major League II and Major League: Back to the Minors, which were released by Warner Bros.), neither of which replicated the success of the original film.

Sat May 26, 2007 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Major League
It's nowhere near as good as I once remembered it being. A fair amount of the jokes in the second and third acts fall somewhat flat. For the most part though it's funny. The cast is perfect and they have good chemistry with one another. And although it's cliched and not exactly well written, I liked the subplot romance between Berenger and Russo.

There's one thing I don't get though. Why the Indians? In 1989 the Red Sox, Cubs or White Sox would've been more suitable for the plot, especially the two Sox's. It's not a big deal, and it's not a criticism, it's just something I've always wondered. David Ward must be from Cleveland.

It's a good movie, but it's nowhere near as good as I once thought it was. This movie is another example for why I have to redo my Top 100 list sometime soon.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Not just a good sports movie with a the classic underdog story. But also well acted, and dam hysterical at times. A great ensemble of character actors makes this one of the best sports movies of all time. The sequel is all right, but the R to PG rating is really quite absurd but still has its moments. 3 is atrocious though.

A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:22 pm
why so serious?

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like shit!"

Definitely not a perfect movie, but it's a pretty entertaining spot of fun.

3 stars out of 4, B

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:44 pm
Award Winning Bastard

It's the second best sports comedy ever, behind Caddyshack. It's also the best baseball movie ever, and not just because it's about my home team Cleveland Indians. This is better than the original Bad News Bears. It's a classic!

A

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:17 pm
Keeping it Light

I just rewatched it today, after always being an all-time favorite of mine it definitely still holds up as a great sports and comedy film. An excellent bunch of characters with a great cast. I recently listened to the The Ringer Rewatchables podast about this film too, and they do make a good point that the relationship stuff does take some fervor out of it. It's all the baseball and camaraderie stuff that makes this just a classic and worth watching anytime.
It's also interesting that the name of Indians recently changed, and there is a lot of Indians lore in the film, that, well it seemed all so normal to use native american terms in relation to the team, and I don't still don't know if it's so bad, but not the right person to ask or care either really, at least it makes the film all the more precious as an artifact of a time that was, I feel.

A-

Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]