Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Armageddon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 32

Armageddon 
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Crosses the line that makes brainless summer blockbusters entertaining. The horrendous Aerosmith song the overflow of treacle in nearly every scene, Liv fucking Tyler's farewell to her father its cinematic dung at its worst.

D-

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:17 pm
All Star Poster

This film has some funny lines here and there, But other than that I thought it was kinda boring. The only bad acting came from Affleck, who over acted in about 50% of his scenes

B-

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:45 am
Mod Team Leader

Oh, I did...okay, just wanted to reinforce that. ;)

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Fun entertainment, but stupid. Solid all the same.

Oh yes, I can stand in the middle.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: Armageddon
wow, I never thought Bay would be able to top Pearl Harbor, but oh boy did he. Once you take away the dozens of suspense-less action sequences and the star power (which didn't translate to good acting in any way), you are literally left with nothing. And it's two and a half hours. Oh my god this is terrible.

F

I know that some people here don't like Spielberg movies, but when you look at the way he builds suspense before his action as opposed to the way that Bay just jumps right into it... I don't see how something like this could captivate anybody by comparison. Would the opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark have been one-tenth as memorable if it started out with the cave collapsing (cutting out that intense build-up walking through the jungle and the gold/sand moment) and every single thing he encounters thereafter simply exploding as he ran by it?

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Just when I thought you were cool...

:disgust:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:49 pm
He didn't look busy?!

:(

but in another sense, i do very much respect Michael Bay... with The Island being an exception, the man really knows how to make movies that appeal to and entertain wide audiences, and a lot of talented directors are incapable of such (Marc Forster with Quantum of Solace, for example). The thing is that he just doesn't make his movies for me as much as for the people who don't watch the Oscars, the people who haven't heard of (let alone seen) 4 Months 3 Weeks & 2 Days, etc. But yeah, when I watched him at work on the TF2 set, that man really knows how to get shit done. He knows exactly what he wants, what to ask for, etc... he has certainly earned his success. But this movie especially was nothing but explosions. I'd like a bit more than that, please.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Total shit. Good visuals and it's....fun....but that's it. I didn't give a rat's ass about any of the two-dimensional carboard cut-outs that are supposed to pass as characters. I can't believe some people actually cried.

D

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

The illogicies are so hilarious and blatent that it becomes endearing. I love Armageddon

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:51 am
Award Winning Bastard

Armageddon is one of the best pure entertainment popcorn films ever made! It's also one of the best tear jerkers ever. It's filled with great characters that you really feel like you know during the film.

Bruce Willis as Harry Stamper is the kind of guy that I'd follow anywhere. One of his best, if not his best screen performace. His ultimate sacrifice for humanity is both devastating and heartfelt, and his final scene with Liv Tyler via satelite transmission makes a blubbering mess out of me everytime as soon as he says "and I wish I could be there to walk you down the aisle". :tears:

Ben Affleck is funny and charming as the rebel of the team, A. J.

Steve Buscemi is at his hysterical best as the horny Rockhound, who is my personal favorite character in the film.

Billy Bob Thorton is a model of a solid guy in a political position determined to do what he has to do for humankind's survival, no matter what superior he has to defy.

Liv Tyler is hot as always, and brings a very touching and sympathetic performance to the roll of Harry's daughter Grace, who is also the lover of Ben Affleck's character.

Will Patton perfectly plays Chic, who you totally buy as the best friend of Harry, and his back story with his estranged ex-wife and the son that he's not allowed to see is very emotional, and his final redemption at the end is so satisfying that it helps take the pain away from all the losses that occured, including the loss of Harry.

Michael Clarke Duncan gives a teddy bear performance as the aptly named Bear.

Owen Wilson is great as the air headed and innocent Oscar, who dies early in the mission, giving a sense of doom and anything goes. If they could kill off harmless Oscar, nobody was safe.

Peter Stormare plays the Russian cosmonaut Lev, in a very funny performance, and it was totally believable that he bonded with AJ and Bear as they tried frantically to get back with the crew of the surviving shuttle. Seeing him at the wedding of Grace and AJ at the end just brings a smile to my face every time.

Ken Hudson Campbell plays Max, another one of the zany misfit crew who ultimately doesn't make it out alive.

Keith David plays that bastard of a general, who probably gives the best delivery of the word "retard" that has ever been said. Hysterical! "The fate of the world is in the hands of a bunch of retards that I wouldn't trust with a potato gun." :funny:

William Fichtner and Jessica Sheen play the no nonsense shuttle pilots Willie Sharp and Jennifer Watts, who get our heroes to and from the oncoming asteroid. (and I also found Watts to be really hot)

The cast of this movie is one of the best assembled ensemble casts I've ever seen, and they all deliver. It's just a great piece of entertainment that has one of the highest replay values of any movie I've ever seen. The far reaching plot is very engaging, and it's just a total thrill ride from start to finish, with great humor in place to relax the tension.

It's one of my all time favorites.

10/10

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:55 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Rorschach wrote:
Armagedon along with Peral Harbor is Bay at his weakest. I think he tries too much with his actors in both, and thus these films are not quite as enjoyable as Rock, Bad Boys, and Transformers.

Agree. And you can add The Island in the enjoyable group.

Armageddon and Pearl Harbour were two of my all time most anticipated films before they were released and both were huge dissapointments.

However, of the two I prefer Armageddon.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

One thing is for sure, you cant beat the trailer for this, pure 90s awesomeness...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tFOuCoT8c

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:20 am
Homo Dperious

Shack wrote:
The illogicies are so hilarious and blatent that it becomes endearing. I love Armageddon

hehe, I more or less agree. The excessive nature of the production is what most stands out IMO. It's true what is said: almost any 30 seconds feels like it could be turned into a commercial, and that's what I love about it. It's entertainment for the sake of entertainment more than anything else, and it's so slick. But then it's also so absurd that I have to hate it. haha

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:07 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

MadGez wrote:
One thing is for sure, you cant beat the trailer for this, pure 90s awesomeness...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0tFOuCoT8c

ha, kind of like the movie. But made me laugh a bit for being as obvious as it is.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:18 pm
Profile ICQ
Forum General

B-

Better than that shit Deep Impact which I gave an F.

Too many unlikeable characters in a disaster flick for me. Willis, Affleck, space dementia fellow all fucking annoying.

I wanted them all to die, which is inconsistent with a movie about survival. TDAT is still the best disaster flick for me.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

BK wrote:
B-

Better than that shit Deep Impact which I gave an F.

Too many unlikeable characters in a disaster flick for me. Willis, Affleck, space dementia fellow all fucking annoying.

I wanted them all to die, which is inconsistent with a movie about survival. TDAT is still the best disaster flick for me.

Your taste sucks and you know it. Armegeddon was beyond as unrealistic as they get trying to school 12 oil drillers into becoming astronauts in 12 days.. Yeah, BK That's REAL.. How about Willis and Co. trying to land a ship on an asteroid with debris as big as a fucking house flying around that somehow magically misses their ship and doesn't destroy them???? Your post is an EPIC FAIL along with your reasoning..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:29 am
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

Did BK ever say Armegeddon was realistic? Or did BKB just epic fail himself?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am

I've seen the majority of this on tv in pieces. Oh dear lord is it bad. However it is one of those that's bad enough to almost enjoy for its' wretchedness.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:35 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Gopher wrote:
Did BK ever say Armegeddon was realistic? Or did BKB just epic fail himself?

Read both his reviews again for this and Deep Impact(if that's what you want to cal them).. He's trying to insinuate that Armegeddon is more realistic than how Deep Impact is portrayed and that alone is as laughable and an EPIC FAIL all in 1 which I've already pointed out..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
4/10.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

This is one of those few movies I love so much that I can't put it in proper words. I go through so many emotions while watching this. My blood is racing, my heart is pumping, I'm sweatin, I'm laughing, I'm crying... and so on and on. I've seen this three times in theaters back in 1998 and countless times at home. I owned Armageddon on VHS, it was my first DVD and now I'm watching the Blu-Ray. It's almost like I have a relationship with this film, hehe. I really don't get the hate for it. This is perfect entertainment, the cast is all-around great and Bay was at the top of his game. The entire finale is as perfect as it could be. From the moment Affleck comes back till the last seconds I'm always near a heart attack. And then William Fichtner comes and says: Miss Stamper? Colonel Willie Sharp, United States Airforce, ma'am. Requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met. And that's the moment that turns me into a mess. God I love Armageddon.

Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

It's exactly like Titanic. It goes all in with the soap opera melodrama and makes no excuses for itself.

Sun May 05, 2013 12:13 pm
now we know

Yes, it's a pretty amazing film. I don't watch it enough.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Argos wrote:
4/10.

Did someone trick you or force you to watch this against your will? I refuse to believe that you made a conscious choice to watch this film.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

music is really good btw

Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next