Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Good Girl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

The Good Girl 
College Boy Z

Post The Good Girl
The Good Girl

Quote:
The Good Girl is a 2002 black comedy-drama film directed by Miguel Arteta from a script by Mike White, and stars Jennifer Aniston, Jake Gyllenhaal and John C. Reilly.

Sun May 08, 2005 10:37 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Jennifer Aniston gives an Oscar-worthy performance in this underrated and spectacular gem. Hilarious, moving and tragic all at the same time, this is a must-see.

9/10 (A-)

Sun May 08, 2005 5:01 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

7/10 (B)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 08, 2005 5:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Jennifer Aniston proves she's more than Rachel Green, but I didn't care for the movie. My grade: C.

Thu May 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah. Boring, predicatable, and the voiceover started to become grating. Lacked subtlty, and the humorous parts weren't actually that funny. Weak characters, all too drawn out Started to get annoying, especially Gyllanthal. I dunno, this didn't mesh with me. I hated when she slept with his friend part. It was just not going anywhere but the shock factor.

I'm with Tod, C

Thu May 12, 2005 6:12 pm
Sbil

Jennifer Aniston proves she's more than Rachel Green, but I didn't care for the movie. My grade: C.

I would grade it a little higher than that, but I mostly agree.

I wasn't a fan of the movie, but Jennifer Aniston is spectacular and there is a hilarious supporting performance from Zooey Deschenal here.

As Dolce said, Jake Gyllenhaal's character annoyed me to no end. What a brat.

Thu May 12, 2005 6:26 pm
Extraordinary

Yeah. Zooey was hilarious as the make-up assistant. She was the best part of the movie.

Thu May 12, 2005 6:28 pm
Teenage Dream

Yeah, this movie makes my skin crawl and makes me want to blow my brains out simultaneously. It's incredibly depressing and Tim Blake Nelson's character is vomit inducing. It's well acted and has some pretty funny moments, but it's not worth the overwhelming depression I get from it. I'd give it a C.

Thu May 12, 2005 6:32 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Tragically pretentious is a good way to describe this mess of a film. It assumes that the viewer will accept the adultery of the main character by redeeming her in the end, and at least attempting to give a reason to her behavior. It comes up short though, as Anniston's character becomes just another reason to dislike the film. While the acting is overall, good, it just doesn't meld together. The characters are unlikeable and boring, and the screenplay is nothing special. It lacks the finesse of fellow adultery film Closer, which itself was a hard film to watch. The Good Girl is even more difficult to watch and fails on just about every level.

4.3/10 (C-)

Sun May 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Tragically pretentious is a good way to describe this mess of a film. It assumes that the viewer will accept the adultery of the main character by redeeming her in the end, and at least attempting to give a reason to her behavior. It comes up short though, as Anniston's character becomes just another reason to dislike the film. While the acting is overall, good, it just doesn't meld together. The characters are unlikeable and boring, and the screenplay is nothing special. It lacks the finesse of fellow adultery film Closer, which itself was a hard film to watch. The Good Girl is even more difficult to watch and fails on just about every level.

4.3/10 (C-)

I don't think the character was supposed to be redeemed at all, though. It fits the mold of tragic hero perfectly, including the deadly flaws.

Overall I thought it was very well made, and hilarious, though the sense of humor is obviously not gonna word for everyone. The "sex scene" is both repulsive and one of the funniest moment in it.

A-

Best Actress 2008

Sun May 15, 2005 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Pretty great and surprising movie, highlighted by a Oscar nomination deserving performance from Jennifer Aniston. Quite surprising to see her doing something polar opposite from Rachel.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:12 am
Extraordinary

Hehe, I remember me and Dolce did the back-and-forth thing with this in the Indie section. (which I wouldn't like to read again, because of my comments of course... :wacko: )

I really liked the movie, though. I'd like to see it again.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:30 am
Christian's #1 Fan

RogueCommander wrote:

4.3/10 (C-)

I don't think the character was supposed to be redeemed at all, though. It fits the mold of tragic hero perfectly, including the deadly flaws.

Overall I thought it was very well made, and hilarious, though the sense of humor is obviously not gonna word for everyone. The "sex scene" is both repulsive and one of the funniest moment in it.

A-

That may be, but it just doesn't work. What ends up happening is that Anniston's character comes off as a useless waste of talent, there is nothing about the character that is able to connect with the viewer. Sure, "tragic heroes" can work sometimes, but in this case it just didn't. There was no motive for her actions, there was no reason for her to be a "hero" in the end. It just didn't work.

A tragic mess of a film is what it is.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:38 am
All Star Poster

Gyllenhaals character was a whiney depressed pansy. Anistons performance was pretty good.

B-

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:05 am
---------

Post Re: The Good Girl
I thought this was amazing. The whole cast was phenomenal. I found it to be a funny look at these people's lives, depressing as they were. I thought Jake's character was very interesting, he wanted to be all mysterious and different, but deep down he was a selfish kid wanting love, and not even that good of a writer. I thought Jenifer Anniston's character's decision at the end fit perfectly, predictable as it might have been. Overall a very enjoyable movie.

Grade: A-

Kinda funny to see John C Reilly in a less slapstick-y film before Talladega Nights.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]