Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Furiosa 

What grade do you give this movie?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Furiosa 
Devil's Advocate

Post Furiosa

Quote:
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is a 2024 post-apocalyptic action adventure film co-produced and directed by George Miller, who co-wrote it with Nico Lathouris. It is the fifth installment in the Mad Max franchise, serving as both a spin-off and prequel to Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), focused on the character Imperator Furiosa, originally portrayed by Charlize Theron. The film stars Anya Taylor-Joy and Alyla Browne as younger versions of Furiosa, alongside Chris Hemsworth and Tom Burke.[2]

Thu May 23, 2024 9:47 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Furiosa
Hm... idk, I thought it was fine. Not bad at all but didn't really do much for Furiosa as a character. Was kinda shocked (er, spoiler) that the first hour is young Furiosa lol was expecting Anya to be in it for most of the film. Do feel like rewatching Fury Road but I feel that is a much better film than this.

Fri May 24, 2024 1:01 am
The Kramer

Pretty awesome for most of it. The opening sequence where Momma Furiosa is chasing down the bandits andthe one in the middle where the fan guys are trying to hijack the truck are brillaint set pieces and worthy of being in the same franchise as Fury Road. Love Anya too, no surprise there.

I do think it lost its way at the end. It yadda yadda yaddas what could have been a massive battle between the forces of Dementus and Imortan Joe. Then it really drags out the Beyond Vengeance part to the point where I wondered whether it was Furiosa or George Miller who couldn't figure out how to end this story. I was actually expecting an epilogue feauting the return of Charlize Theron and think it would have sutied the film very well considering how much time we spend with Furiosa as a kid at the start.

Tough to grade. Its either an 8.5 or a 9. Did those awesome set pieces earlier make up for the cold and empty feeling the ending left us with? Yes, yes they did.

Fri May 24, 2024 6:50 pm
Superman: The Movie

I haven't seen Fury Road in years, but I don't remember that film looking so green screeny/color corrected/CGI. While I'm sure that movie had quite a bit of CGI, I remember it being blended in much more carefully, effectively and seamlessly. The "look" here didn't ruin the action sequences because they're still masterfully choreographed, but boy did it come close. It's really apparent when the characters are walking on top of the tanker. If it was done to make sure nobody died and they felt they got lucky with Fury Road, I get it, but it's a shame.

Other than that I don't really have complaints, but I feel like people expecting another Fury Road (most of the general audience who do wind up seeing this) will be disappointed. It's that same shift Miller took from Road Warrior to Thunderdome, but it works much better here because it's nowhere near as boring as that film and there's only one kid.

I hope we get Wasteland, but I'm not going to hold my breath after this weekend. Hopefully the WB views Furiosa and Wasteland as a "blank check" considering Fury Road turned a profit and did extremely well at the Oscars. Hopefully the series doesn't end here.

B+

Fury Road - A+
Road Warrior - B+
Furiosa - B+
Mad Max - B-
Thunderdome - C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon May 27, 2024 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This was mostly entertaining but it loses its way about 2/3 through and really feels its length. A worthy follow-up to Fury Road which I found overrated. The world building, costumes, makeup etc are top notch. The special effects are mostly seamless with just a couple of shots that look green screens.

Mon May 27, 2024 2:37 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I'm lazy so I can't be bothered to write a proper review, so I will just spill my thoughts as they come. I was shocked by how much I disliked this film, after Fury Road was one of my favourites of the 2010s. The first third with the child actress was good. Not as good as Fury Road, but solid. Then when Anya Taylor-Joy appeared it fell apart. She was horribly miscast, far too waifish to be convincing in this role. Charlize is a WOMAN, she can do tough, I didn't doubt her for one second. But every scene with Anya took me out of the experience, and especially when they tried to make it so she'd appeared to pass off as a boy (only for her then to be revealed as a girl and... it didn't affect anything at all? So what was the reason?). She also strangely barely had any dialogue in the film, maybe because she really doesn't sound like Charlize either despite her attempt at an American accent?

The whole film is fatally flawed in that we already know Furiosa's backstory and outcome from Fury Road, so all this feels pointless. Absolutely nothing was revealed that changes Furiosa's character. They don't even delve much into her relationship with Immortan Joe and the wives, which would've seemed like such an obvious thing to do. Characters come and go with barely a reaction or implication to the plot, like the Mad Max stand-in they had for her to have a moment of romance with, then he's executed off screen and she never references him again? And the whole goes on for far, far, far too long, with endless action sequences that again don't affect the plot at all and look like uglier, less cool versions of the stunts from Fury Road. The ending speeches in the desert when she's about to execute him were horrible and uncomfortable to sit through as well, I was praying for it to be over at that point.

I think if your sequel takes you 9 years to make it's probably because the script sucked and there was never a great idea to build a film around in the first place.

C+

Wed May 29, 2024 2:24 pm
now we know

Miller just wanted an excuse to do more highly saturated, crazy, desert chases.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 29, 2024 2:33 pm
Profile WWW

I loved Fury Road. One of the all time greats, but I am having a hard time getting excited for this movie. One of the brilliant aspects of Fury Road is just how little is explained. I don’t need to know about Furiousa’s background story when the first film provided everything I needed to know about her.

Thu May 30, 2024 10:57 am

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I loved Fury Road. One of the all time greats, but I am having a hard time getting excited for this movie. One of the brilliant aspects of Fury Road is just how little is explained. I don’t need to know about Furiousa’s background story when the first film provided everything I needed to know about her.

I was totally caught off-guard back in 2015 by how much I loved Mad Max: Fury Road, specifically the way it's more of an experience than a traditional movie kind of narrative. Like you said, it just hits the ground running and largely lets the audience fill in the blanks. I could go on for quite a while about how great it is, but I'll get back to the point--Furiosa was a pretty good time, as well.

There's obviously no comparison between the two in terms of "better," as Fury Road is better than just about any other action movie at all, so expecting Furiosa to be equally as amazing would be silly. And there's no suspense in terms of who will survive, but that's true of any prequel. For what it is, I found Furiosa to be a worthwhile time at the movies. There's some fun action, I didn't mind the extra shading to Furiosa (even if ATJ is no Theron in the role), I thought Hemsworth was a good villain (I liked one of his monologues, in particular), and it was an overall welcome return to The Wasteland.

I mean, at this point you already know not to expect a whole lot, so maybe you'd just be pleasantly surprised? :mer:

Thu May 30, 2024 1:36 pm
The Kramer

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Good news for you - this movie also isn't all that interested in Furiosa's story. ATJ could be playing anyone (I'll admit bias here since she is my favorite actress.) Just a backdrop for the set pieces, which are awesome.

Fri May 31, 2024 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]