Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 The Mummy Returns 

What grade would you give this film?
A 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
B 61%  61%  [ 11 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

The Mummy Returns 
College Boy Z

Post The Mummy Returns
The Mummy Returns

Quote:
The Mummy Returns is a 2001 American adventure film written and directed by Stephen Sommers, starring Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah, Arnold Vosloo, Oded Fehr, Patricia Velásquez and Freddie Boath. The film is a sequel to the 1999 film The Mummy. Filming took place in London, Morocco, and Jordan.

The Mummy Returns inspired the 2002 spin-off film The Scorpion King which is set 5,000 years prior and whose titular character, played by Dwayne Johnson (The Rock), was introduced in this film. It was followed by the 2008 sequel The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

Great fun. I like the original a little more, but still, an entertaining sequel.

A-

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:08 am
Indiana Jones IV

Great movie. I enjoy this one just a little more then the first one, but just by a little. I probably need to rewatch both of them to make sure. But great movie. A

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
Draughty

Boring, and hardly any of the charm of the previous one. Big disappointment for me.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

i actually liked this one better. Great fun

B+

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:19 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Boring, stupid and nowhere near as fun as the original. In fact, I'd just as soon never see this movie again, it was that bad. D+

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:45 pm
George A. Romero

it was fun, but doesn't come close to the original

B-

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:16 pm
Superfreak

b

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:58 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: The Mummy Returns
B+

The first one is a better movie, but this one is more entertaining, for me.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yawn...

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:18 am
Extraordinary

Popcorn is such a tasty snack - - too bad it's become a synonym for crap...

:sick:

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:09 am
On autopilot for the summer

No where near as good as the first. If it didnt get too rediculous and effects heavy, I'd say it would be on par. But where I'd give the first an A, I'd give this one a B/B+ I'm not that enthused for the third.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:42 am
The Antichrist

A disgusting farce, much worse than the original, which was barely decent. A (very) weak plot, stupid dialogues and characters and some scenes that are just the carbon copy of those seen in the first movie. Not even the special effects help this flick, as the ridiculously fake Scorpion King clearly shows.
F

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:27 pm
Stanley Cup

B+. about the same as the original.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:51 am
why so serious?

Meh, it's fun. And that's really all it's supposed to be.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:28 am
life begins now

About as good as the original. Fun, entertaining flick.

B+

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:26 pm
Profile YIM
I just lost the game

Not nearly as good as the original, but still decent. B-

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:16 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

It's very imaginative and entertaining. Not as good as the first, but still a solid adventure film.

B+

Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:17 pm
loyalfromlondon

Big drop-off from the first, which had that loose, fun adventure thing going for it. This just feels like too much. And the part where they outrun the sun..... :grrr:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:36 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is good and the actions set pieces are as good as the first movie but its the story this time which fails to bring anything new or the reason for reviving Imphotep. I loved Alex's work in this movie as well but the end (specially after they enter the Scorpion King) is so rushed which brings the movie down.

Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 am
Forum General

I honestly enjoy this sequel just as much as the first one even though I do think the first movie is a bit better overall. I just love the fact that it felt bigger in terms of scope and the cast is still a lot of fun in it as well. I liked the addition of The Rock too even though the CGI for The Scorpion King doesn't hold up well at all and I honestly don't think it ever did.

B-

Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 pm
now we know

I loved this movie when I was 15. I preferred it to the first. It's still very good, very fun, but now I prefer the first film. Weisz is more gorgeous here, but John Hannah's role feels diminished somehow. He's still there, but he's sharing the humour with the boy. The dynamics of the mummy returning, his bride-to-be (Anck-Su-Namun), and the Scorpion King were complicated, too. I didn't quite get how they intertwined. I wasn't even sure why Anck-Su-Namun was there since she died in the first movie, but maybe it was something to do with the Book of the Dead - tbh I was distracted having to explain things to my son, lol. I never had a problem understanding it 20 years ago!

The effects are dated, but with the first they are more charming than embarrassing, though towards the end with the little pygmies and The Scorpion King it's nearing ever closer to humiliation. But I'd say this film has more memorable action sequences. And I think what sold me most on films when I was younger was the marketing, and it was much better with this sequel.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's cool you're rewatching some older films with your son. Experiencing your updated perspective as well as a kid is probably half the fun (or more with some films!).

I really liked this as a kid, too. It's enjoyable enough now. The special effects are really, really bad at times that it's quite distracting. I don't recall ever really being distracted by them as a kid, and would later given them the "it's just outdated now" line.

Which brings me to something... I don't know if it's a result of the pandemic having a negative impact, but I've been noticing some pretty rough / very obvious CGI with films over the past year or two. There was better CGI 5, 10, and in some notable cases, even up to 15 years ago (think Pirates or Avatar) than what I've been seeing lately. The most recent example being The Lost City. Good movie, enjoyed it quite a bit, but there are obvious green screen moments (backdrops in particular) that just looked rushed or done lazily (or by overworked people, perhaps).

If the CGI is noticeable, even obvious in some films today, what will they look like when rewatching them in 15 or 20 years, I wonder?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Easily the most obvious example is Michael Bay's 2001 PEARL HARBOR having 100x better special effects than 2019's MIDAY. It was a shockingly obvious regression despite 18 & 1/2 year age gap.

PEARL
Spoiler: show
[img]http://capnaux.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/baskın.gif[/img]

MIDWAY
Spoiler: show

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]