Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Just Like Heaven 

What grade would you give this film?
A 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
B 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Just Like Heaven 
Sbil

Post Just Like Heaven
Just Like Heaven

Quote:
Just Like Heaven is a romantic comedy fantasy film released on September 16, 2005, in the United States and Canada. Set in San Francisco, it was directed by Mark Waters, starring Reese Witherspoon, Mark Ruffalo, and Jon Heder. It reached #1 in the United States box office, though it earned much less than anticipated. It is based on the novel If Only It Were True (Et si c'était vrai...) by Marc Levy. I See You, a Bollywood film, has a similar storyline. Another film from India Vismayathumbathu, filmed in the Malayalam language too has a strikingly similar theme, but was released in 2004.

Just Like Heaven is the latest-released live-action film from DreamWorks to be sold to Soros Strategic Partners and Dune Entertainment II. This transaction was made soon after Paramount Pictures became the parent of DreamWorks, which has since become independent again (though Paramount still owns distribution and other ancillary rights to the Soros/Dune-controlled library).

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:08 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I had plans to see this today with just my mom, but talked with my 17 year old nephew earlier, and to my surprise, he wanted to see it, too. Just Like Heaven is an enjoyable time at the movies, and should be a crowd pleaser, for sure. I have no idea what's up some of those critic's asses sometimes, but I don't see how anybody could give it a terrible grade. I don't consider it to be at the level of the best of the best romcoms, but I do consider it to be well worth seeing. I don't know why, but my mom was crying a bit at the end, so it may have that effect on some.

Reese Witherspoon is in typical fashion in this, and reminds me a lot of what I'd imagine our very own romcom loving Libs to be like in real life. A sweet and adorable personality, but with a sneaky sharp tongue when you least expect it. It's not the first time I've thought the two of them were a bit alike.

Mark Ruffalo was very likable in this, and the performance reminded me a bit of Jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch. If he's on par with this in the upcoming Rumor Has It, then my only fear of that film will be put to rest.

Definitely not a waste of time and money.

B

Oh, yeah...Ivana Milicevic = SCHWING!

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 pm
Aslan Reigns Supreme

I am seeing this tomorrow at the drive-in but I wanna make that twist I heard on the radio is wrong. For some reason on the radio they spoiled the movie and said she was dreaming all this and she was in a coma? Is this right. If it is thats cool but it sucks to hear about it before I see it.

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:56 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

No, that's incorrect. She's in a coma but her spirit is interacting with Ruffalo's character. Time actually passes by and she wakes up three months later

Anyways, I saw it today. I loved it! It was really cute and sweet entertainment and the movie had a big heart. Reese Witherspoon was great and stole the show!

8/10 (B+)

Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:41 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I hate Mark Ruffalo but I'm a sucker for angel movies and I always enjoy Reese Witherspoon - 2 out of 3 - so that and reading these reviews means I guess I'm goin' have to see this one...

:nonono:

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:43 am
Site Owner

Saw it today, was an enjoyable rom-com. Good premise, nothing spectacular or memorable, but still a very engageing and enjoyable movie. Mav's grade and mini-review is spot on.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Elizabeth Masterson (Reese Witherspoon) is good at her job. Working at one of the top hospitals in San Francisco, she devotes her life to helping others as a physician and works hard to achieve her goals. However, this has left her with no time for either a social life or a love life. But one rainy night everything changes in an instant when Elizabeth is involved in a head-on collision, putting her in a coma.

Fast forward three months. David Abbott (Mark Ruffalo) is a landscape designer who is moving to San Francisco to get away from the memories of his wife's tragic death. He moves into Elizabeth's old apartment and spends his days sitting around and staring into space. But Elizabeth isn't ready to give up residence just yet. It is at that point that David realizes that the spirit of Elizabeth is still very much alive, talking to him and residing in the apartment.

The two start off hostile towards each other, both thinking that the other is crazy. But eventually they begin to warm up to each other and develop a strong friendship. Those who surround David begin to think he's mentally unstable, but he doesn't care. He's finally rediscovering something that he lost with the death of his wife. The two both set out on a mission to discover who Elizabeth is and what happened to her, while also falling madly in love.

JUST LIKE HEAVEN may sound like any other romantic comedy, but it has a lot of qualities that make it stand out from the pack. There is a certain quality to it that makes it impossible to hate and it will leave you with a big smile on your face at the conclusion. It has a big heart and manages to make all the characters very sympathetic and likable.

The performances are excellent. Reese Witherspoon is absolutely adorable as Elizabeth, delivering another charming and scene-stealing lead performance. Her character is both believable and fun to watch, and it's a pleasure seeing her take command of the big screen once again. Mark Ruffalo is also great as David, delivering a strong performance as a romantic lead. The audience can really relate to his character and he manages to pull off a funny and even emotional performance. The two also have some of the best chemistry of the year and their romance is completely believable.

The rest of the cast isn't too important, but there are a few standouts. I really liked Dina Spybey as Elizabeth's older sister Abby. She was hilarious and had one of the film's best moments while also coming off as friendly and caring. Donal Logue was funny but underused in a small role as David's best friend. Jon Heder, more commonly known as the title character in last summer's NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, barely registers as a psychic bookstore owner who can feel Elizabeth's presence. Advertised as a lead, he appears onscreen for 5-10 minutes at most and plays basically the same character with straighter hair.

The film also has a very warm feeling to it in terms of scenery and background. It highlights the city of San Francisco at its finest and also delivers some beautiful imagery. Mark Waters, director of teen film smashes MEAN GIRLS and FREAKY FRIDAY, is behind the camera here once again as director and does some of his finest work.

Overall, this is a romantic, funny and delightful romantic comedy. It has some cliches, but thanks to two great lead performances and a genuinely sweet and touching story, this one is a real winner.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:56 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Okay, okay - I'm a sucker for these angel movies, and could Reese Witherspoon be any more perfect for the role?

I only wish they could have gotten a man to play the Mark Ruffalo part in Just Like Heaven.

Very nicely made mush!

4 out of 5.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:14 am
Extraordinary

So can anybody explain why she can sit in a car and lie on a bed?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:53 am
Indiana Jones IV

They didn't really explain that in the movie... but I just figured that when she WANTED to sit on a surface (like the table when she was singing the sun'll come out tomorrow), she was able to -- but when she wasn't thinking about wanting to do it, she would just walk through it.

That sounds confusing.

Well, to put it simply.. I don't know :).

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

If you're askin' those kinda questions, you're in the wrong genre!

:tongue:

(Though I must say, this particular movie had a much more logical storyline than most...)

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:14 pm
Extraordinary

I was somewhat surprised how much I like the movie. The story grabbed me and really worked for me. B+.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Good film, but a bit too melodramatic, especially towards the end. I think the greatest flaw with the film was there were just a few too many cliches for it to really work well. Witherspoon and Ruffalo have great chemistry though and the film flows well overall. A good deal of laughs and a generally solid production make this a very entertaining film.

B+

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:11 am
We had our time together

Wonderful movie. One of the best romantic-comedies I've ever seen. Reese Witherspoon is sooo adorable and Mark Ruffalo is a sympathic guy too. A-

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I forgot to say anything about this movie.

It was a very cute romcom that deserved some more attention than it got. Reese was great and I didn't hate Mark Ruffalo for once.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:26 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I forgot to say anything about this movie.

It was a very cute romcom that deserved some more attention than it got. Reese was great and I didn't hate Mark Ruffalo for once.

Still waiting on that Walk the Line commentary that you forgot to do. Any chance of that? :whistle:

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:31 pm
You must have big rats

I was genuinely surprised by this charming, little, sweet movie. It is definitely one of the better romcoms I have seen in my life and certainly the best one ever since Love Actually. I actually consider this to be a superior fantasy romcom than Ghost. For once, I did not find Mark Ruffalo annoying and useless, but he actually delivered a decent turn. Reese Witherspoon is at the top of her game in this one. I haven't seen Walk the Line yet, but if this is an indicator of how good she is, then I can easily see why she will be getting the Oscar. What is the most important aspect, however, is that the chemistry between Ruffalo and Witherspoon is incredible and that is, in my eyes, the most important thing for a romcom.

The movie's plot about a guy falling in love with a ghost of a girl who before her "death" was consumed by her work and never realized how dull her life is, is pretty simple. Yet it works magically. The first half of the movie is very humorous and made me laugh untypically much for a romcom (just like Love Actually did too). Jon Heder was pretty good. The second half fell more on the romantic side and that worked just as well. Of course we all saw the ending coming and of course it was all sappy and clichéd, but it made me smile and the leads of the film really made it work.

I saw the film shortly after Rumor Has It, I believe, so I had a chance to compare it to a really inferior romcom. This film sticks out in its genre and it's a pity it wasn't a bigger success at the box-office. Mark S. Waters have proven to me once again after Freaky Friday and Mean Girls that he can take on generic material and turn it into very enjoyable fare.

Everyone should see this!

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

this was seriously to dumb but to damn sweet :blush:, i enjoyed it a lot and Reese Witherspoon was great as always! :wub:

I laughed my ass of at that ending, it was horrible! :lol:

B

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:06 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Depressing and uninspired mess by a director and a strong cast.

Boring and silly. The melodramatic ending summed up the movie, just stupid.

C-

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:22 pm
College Boy Z

It wasn't the greatest movie, and it's kinda dumb, but enjoyable for the most part.

B-

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:14 pm
Top Poster

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

A-

I was genuinely surprised by this charming, little, sweet movie. It is definitely one of the better romcoms I have seen in my life and certainly the best one ever since Love Actually. I actually consider this to be a superior fantasy romcom than Ghost. For once, I did not find Mark Ruffalo annoying and useless, but he actually delivered a decent turn. Reese Witherspoon is at the top of her game in this one. I haven't seen Walk the Line yet, but if this is an indicator of how good she is, then I can easily see why she will be getting the Oscar. What is the most important aspect, however, is that the chemistry between Ruffalo and Witherspoon is incredible and that is, in my eyes, the most important thing for a romcom.

The movie's plot about a guy falling in love with a ghost of a girl who before her "death" was consumed by her work and never realized how dull her life is, is pretty simple. Yet it works magically. The first half of the movie is very humorous and made me laugh untypically much for a romcom (just like Love Actually did too). Jon Heder was pretty good. The second half fell more on the romantic side and that worked just as well. Of course we all saw the ending coming and of course it was all sappy and clichéd, but it made me smile and the leads of the film really made it work.

I saw the film shortly after Rumor Has It, I believe, so I had a chance to compare it to a really inferior romcom. This film sticks out in its genre and it's a pity it wasn't a bigger success at the box-office. Mark S. Waters have proven to me once again after Freaky Friday and Mean Girls that he can take on generic material and turn it into very enjoyable fare.

Copy and pasting for the review, which I couldn't have written better at all. All the same points. Reese is great, Ruffalo is surprisingly good... I dunno why, but the film just works so well for me. I really, really enjoyed it. And, I just saw "Rumor Has It" so I can easily say that Ruffalo isn't a complete waste on the screen. He surprised me a lot. And... I just loved the film. No better way to explain it. Grade: A

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:18 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
A-

Copy and pasting for the review, which I couldn't have written better at all. All the same points. Reese is great, Ruffalo is surprisingly good... I dunno why, but the film just works so well for me. I really, really enjoyed it. And, I just saw "Rumor Has It" so I can easily say that Ruffalo isn't a complete waste on the screen. He surprised me a lot. And... I just loved the film. No better way to explain it. Grade: A

:thumbsup: You're the man!

Realkly, before this movie I considered Ruffalo to be just bland, but in this one, he actually showed signs of talent.

Oh and Reese Witherspoon usually has great chemistry with her film-partners. The chemistry between her and Ruffalo in this one and between her and Phoenix in Walk the Line is incredible.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:20 am
Profile WWW
---------

A very strong romantic comedy. I myself loved it. Ruffalo and Witherspoon were awesome! It almost made my top ten of the year. Heder was also perfect.

B+

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:58 am
Devil's Advocate

Great little romcom, with fine acting by Witherspoon and Ruffalo. My only tripe is that it didn't have enough comedy for me, I wasn't really laughing. But still very solid mostly everywhere else, from it's direction to soundtrack.

And by the way, the reason she can sit on some things like a couch, while sliding through others, is because:

[spoil]She's not completley dead.[/spoil]

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next