Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 73%  73%  [ 41 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 56

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 
Draughty

A. The best entertainment movie of the decade so far, for me, and the most well written script I've ever seen in a summer movie.

Mon May 29, 2006 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Archie...Those are some of the most touching words anyone has ever said...lovely! Depp is a badass!

Mon May 29, 2006 2:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Archie...Those are some of the most touching words anyone has ever said...lovely! Depp is a badass!

Julius :heart: Archie

Mon May 29, 2006 8:11 am
The Lubitsch Touch

If they shot the very same script but Depp played it straight, this movie would have been a lumbering bore.

Mon May 29, 2006 12:47 pm
Cream of the Crop

Agreed...This may sound crazy, i watched it 9 times in theater.

I don't find it crazy; I saw it 11 times in the theater (mostly thanks to our awesome $1 theater [which since has become the $2 theater]). That's a personal record for me for seeing a movie in theaters (missed it by one with CatCF). I plan on beating that record this summer for PotC2.

I remember the first time I saw PotC, too. Like Magnus, I saw it on the Friday after its opening in a sold-out crowd, with me sitting higher than I normally do and all the way to the right (I'm a center-center gal). I only went 'cause my dad asked if I wanted to go; since he was paying, I was game. I'd only been interested in it up to that point due to Orlando Bloom being in it (I wanted to test his range by seeing him in something other than LOTR) and the fact that PotC is one of my two favorite Disney rides. At that point in my life, I'd been avoiding Johnny Depp like the plague (long story), and when I saw the teaser for the movie, I was thrilled about it up 'til I saw Johnny's name. It was then that I was reluctantly interested.

But while I came into that 10pm sold-out showing a casual Orlando fan, I came out of it a Jack Sparrow fan (being a Johnny fan came after a few months of acquiring a taste for him and testing his range with Once Upon A Time In Mexico--he passed the test). I did some browsing on fanfiction.net and the IMDb boards, and by the time I saw the movie the second time, I was a huge Jack Sparrow fan.

But more than coming out of the movie a Jack fan, I came out of it a PotC fan. It was the movie as a whole that kept me coming back for more. I was having some issues at home, and this became my 2.5 hour escape into a pirate fantasy world. It was the writing, the acting, the visuals. Everything.

I will reflect Magnus's grading and give this:

A++

Joy

Mon May 29, 2006 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Too Brilliant for Introductions

I'll keep this short and sweet. It was one of the well written and most entertaining blockbusters of the decade.

A

Mon May 29, 2006 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

never saw in theaters but it became a summer super hit at my theater. there were always packed to almost sold out shows on fri,tuesday and sat night for 5 weeks. It was watched by many.

I bought the DVD and i watched it like 4 times. It was a great film and i found it very fun.

It the the defination of the good old summer blockbusters like SW and Indian jones. The film is a modern day classic.

A
I dislike how it drags in a few scenes, but Jack is the movie and is the special thing about the movie.
The teens came out in forces to see this movie and will for the 2nd one as well.

Do you know they play this at my school for english class for assignments??

Mon May 29, 2006 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

First film I ever saw 4 times in a theater.

And half of that was in the same day.

An incredible film, very well shot, acted, directed, written...

9.6/10 A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 30, 2006 1:37 am
Indiana Jones IV

Watched it again, it was on USA this time, and it does not grow old. A+ stil...and I don't think that grade will change anytime soon.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Cream of the Crop

Written May 29, 2006

I will reflect Magnus's grading and give this:

A++

Joy

I'm downgrading this as I was, of course, being a bit fangirlish when I gave this rating...

Still a solid A. But only so that I can give DMC an A+, since I've found I like that one a bit better than this one.

Joy

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I watched this a couple of nights ago, still love it. As of now I think I prefer this one over Dead Man's Chest.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:42 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Agree with you Magnus. I think Pirates one is superior in every way almost except maybe the complex plot that I love in the 2nd one. The first one is amazing and I think it is very hard to top a film like it.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

10/10 (A+)

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:55 pm
Profile YIM
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Decent, but a bit too long for my tastes. Some scenes dragged quite a bit, especially on repeat viewings.

B+ for Depp's creative adaptation of the script

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:15 am
You must have big rats

I didn't even realize that I have never reviewed it here yet.

It's a great adventure flick and better than most Indiana Jones knock-off's nowadays. I am still in an agreement that the movie starts to drag towards the end and definitely could have done with 5-10 minutes less back 'n' forth. Nonetheless, it is an overall exhilarating flick with a great visual design and one of the best performances by any actor I have ever seen. Johnny Depp is ingenius here. His performance pretty much made the movie to me. Without it, I'd enjoy it, but put it away as a decent, but forgettable film. Depp is just....brilliant. And the funny thing is that it is not his career-best performance evn, yet one of the best of all-time (just shows how much of a great actor he is). He should've won that year.

The visual effects, art direction, costumes, make-up...everything is top-notch. To be honest, I grew to like this movie more and more on repeat viewings and it is really insanely rewatchable (once again thanks to Depp!). Geoffrey Rush makes a good counterpart to him as Barbossa. Both are obviously having fun with their roles. Orlando Bloom is as wooden and untalented as ever, but thankfully his role didn't require much "acting".

The movie is just one great, funny and exciting fun ride that could have been perfect with some better editing and less redundancy.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:34 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

This film is awsome, its one of the best blockbusters since 2000. Pirates Easily makes my top 40 films of all time

A+

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:14 am
Extraordinary

Watched it again on DVD, and it's even more grand and entertaining than I remembered from the viewing in theater. Just so much fun, and the time flew by. If I were in theater again, I'd surely yell "hell yeah!" and clap at the end.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun May 27, 2007 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

An awesome movie. Definitely the best-written out of the three Pirates films.

Sun May 27, 2007 11:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Not going to try and explain why I give it this either. I'll just say that a B+ is at time better to me than an A-. When I grade movies, an A- usually means the movie was awesome, except that it had one big problem. And a B+ was great, but had a few smaller problems.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon May 28, 2007 12:32 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

After seeing the two sequels they made me even moreso realize how much fun and how rewatchable this one is!

Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

Definite A. Insanely masterful and tons of fun. Depp rocked it out.

Tue May 29, 2007 11:57 am
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

Saw it again, Depp was amazing in this role, and the fact the most of the rest of the story isn't as good, its easy to see that since Depp isn't as good in the other sequels, the films themselves are much worst.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue May 29, 2007 12:20 pm
Stanley Cup

Tue May 29, 2007 7:36 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
This is my least favorite of the original 3 Pirates films. I absolutely love the first hour or so and the last 30 minutes to 45 minutes (when Elizabeth and Jack get onto the island). It's just the middle sea battle is very sloppily executed and boring in comparison to the exciting, hilarious Port Royal, Isla De Muerta and Tortuga scenes. It just seems like it drags on forever and ever. The second and third just feel cleaner and better edited to me. But this is definitely the best fantasy adventure film since Raiders of the Lost Ark and I'm surprised it and its sequels don't have stronger reviews, considering how re watchable they are. I do so every year.

A+

Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:12 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Lol

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next