Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

College Boy Z

Post Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, released in the United States and India as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, is a 2001 fantasy film directed by Chris Columbus and based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. The film was the first of the Harry Potter film series. It was written by Steve Kloves and produced by David Heyman. The story follows Harry Potter, a boy who discovers on his eleventh birthday that he is a wizard, and is sent to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his magical education. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, with Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as Harry's best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. The adult cast features Richard Harris, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Alan Rickman and Ian Hart.

Warner Bros. bought the film rights to the book in 1999 for a reported £1 million. Production began in 2000, with Columbus being chosen to create the film from a short list of directors that included Steven Spielberg and Rob Reiner. J. K. Rowling insisted that the entire cast be British or Irish, in keeping with the cultural integrity of the book and the film. She also approved the screenplay, written by Steve Kloves. The film was shot at Leavesden Film Studios and historic buildings around the United Kingdom.

The film was released in the United Kingdom and United States in November 2001. It received a mostly positive critical reception, made more than $974 million at the worldwide box office and was nominated for many awards, including the Academy Awards for Best Original Score, Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design. As of February 2011, it is the eighth highest-grossing film of all time.

The weakest of the Harry Potter series, but not bad. C+

Last edited by zingy on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:40 am
Teh Mexican

average.......its ok i guess, defenetly not on my favorite list!

B-

Last edited by matatonio on Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:41 am
life begins now

Okay, but you can tell they have matured throughout the three films. The worst of the 2, but still not so bad.

B

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:03 am
Profile YIM
Hot Fuss

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

86, not my favorite of the series, actually its my least by a long shot.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Good effort, definatly the weakest out of the 3 films though. (I gave CoS and PoA A-'s) Also... the child actors were not very good here.

- B

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:05 pm
I just lost the game

I really didn't like this one as much as I should. Maybe I'm just letting my HP fandom bias my opinion. But I just didn't like it much.

Quidditch was awesome, great effects, but the story was far far FAR too rushed, and the kids' acting is enough to make me cringe. Granted they were eleven, but I know there are eleven year old's who can act.

I give it a C.

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:53 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Great filmmaking. One of my favorite films.

10/10 (A+)

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:20 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

6/10 (C+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I basically agree with Insomniacdude on this one. I am a huge fan of the books and while the first novel is certainly not the best of the series, it is still a great book. I was eagerly awaiting the cinematic adaptation and the trailers and TV spots were all very promising. It seemed as if the movie was able to capture the magic of the books. Something, in my opinion, none of the Harry Potter movies managed yet, even though they keep coming closer and closer with each new installment of the series.

The first movie, though, was a huge letdown. The story seemed way too rushed and therefore the whole magical world wasn't developed well-enough, especially for those unfamiliar with the books. The characters and the setting were estabilished way too fast, they were almost considered as a given. The main positive aspect of the movie was its cast which was pitch-perfect, even though the acting of the kids wasn't top-notch. All the actors and actresses, however, fit their characters. I couldn't have imagined a better Dumbledore or Snape myself.

The production values were great and so was the music, but all that can't replace a very weak screenplay. The series got better with the second movie and slightly better once again with the third which raised my expectations for the fourth film which is based on my favorite book of the series.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

To prepare for the weekend, I'm bumping all three HP movies.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

C+/B-

meh :glare:

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I really didn't like this one as much as I should. Maybe I'm just letting my HP fandom bias my opinion. But I just didn't like it much.

Quidditch was awesome, great effects, but the story was far far FAR too rushed, and the kids' acting is enough to make me cringe. Granted they were eleven, but I know there are eleven year old's who can act.

I give it a C.

Well, my thoughts have changed. I'd give it a C- or even a D+ now. I hate the pacing that much. And unlike some movies with awkward pacing, there is nothing much else to redeem it. Major props to the Quidditch scene though. I still think it holds up very well.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:03 pm
You must have big rats

insomniacdude wrote:

I give it a C.

Well, my thoughts have changed. I'd give it a C- or even a D+ now. I hate the pacing that much. And unlike some movies with awkward pacing, there is nothing much else to redeem it. Major props to the Quidditch scene though. I still think it holds up very well.

I think what really redeems it to me is the perfect casting of the supporting cast. Rickman, Harris, Smith, Coltrane, Hurt...all incredibly well-cast.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

B-. Alan Rickman saves it from a C, but this is by far my least favorite Harry Potter movie (although granted, it's also my least favorite HP book as well).

Joy

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Really wish they strayed more from the exact material and made this more of a cinematic experience for all moviegoers, not just readers of the book. No emotion was able to come out of this experience at all, it was simply a staged reading. Child acting is poor, and could have gotten better actors, but by now I'm glad they stuck with them. Columbus sucks.

C

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Iron Man

Not a bad movie, just uninspired with little magic. Chris Columbus fails to capture the feel of the books. It's fun with a great story, wondefully-cast and solid special effects(except that troll). B-/C+

Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:40 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
I'm rewatching the films before I begin reading the final book before the movie is released. It's a decent start to the series, more or less a prologue to the rest. It works in spots, it fails in spots.

Grade: B-

Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Lame and colourless. It's faithful in surface appearances, but not tone or spirit.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:20 pm
I heet the canadian!

By far the worst of the series, this would be a borderline disaster if not for the great costumes and music and the adult actors. The script and most of Columbus' direction is just completely lifeless.

And some of the effects have really started to show their age, like the troll.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 pm
---------

That is one truly awful poster lol. Glad they went with the hand drawn one.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Finally got to watch this this weekend, first time in probably 10 years. I have to say it holds up extremely well, but where as the latest ones were drawn more towards more mature audiences you can see this one is squared almost entirely at families of all ages. And while I prefer the tone of the later entries this one is still highly entertaining, and the effects hold up still very well. Especially when I look at the bigger films of 01 like Jurassic Park III, Mummy Returns, Planet of the Apes, etc.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:59 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I started HP series last weekend (will finish this weekend). The film suffers from pacing issues but its for kids so it still holds well as a family experience. The casting of main trio was pitch perfect but the acting was awful. The side actors are all great here. Overall decent but far from the magic the first book captured, granted it wasn't the best book of the series.

B

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 am
The Kramer

I hadn't seen this one in awhile. The main thought that popped through my mind - everything in the magical world is so impractical. Why not just enchant the stairs to not move? Why have a series of challenges to get through when the Mirror Of Erised puzzle would be impossible for a villain to solve? And of course, if the snitch is worth 150 points then what is the point of the quaffle?

Yet the whimsical nonsense of it is what makes Philosopher's Stone stand apart from many like-minded stories. It's such a fun world to be apart of, especially while the Death Eaters are mostly staying quiet. We don't get to Wizard World version of 2016 until Goblet of Fire. :lol:

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]