Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 2001: A Space Odyssey 

What grade would you give this film?
A 74%  74%  [ 26 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 35

2001: A Space Odyssey 
loyalfromlondon

Nah, it's like any other well regarded, classic movie. People at KJ aren't allowed to truly like them. The only movies we like for ourselves are the Freddy vs Jasons and Contacts of the world.

Hey, I like Contact!

And Omni, it's understandable to think that, but on this site, at the very least, people aren't afraid to voice their opinions. I mean, if we really just liked films because of their reputation, then Citizen Kane wouldn't get the backlash that it gets here.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:45 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey
I saw this tonight for the first time in probably three years. To say I didn't understand it the first time would be a mild understatement. I still very much enjoyed the film, but mostly because of Hal and the "wow" factor it caused even though it was watching it on a mini DVD player and the DVD itself wasn't in Widescreen (that's how good the effects are).

I can see why people probably didn't like this when it first came out. Watching the documentaries on the DVD, it seemed up 1968, most if not all science fiction films weren't full of much substance and didn't require a lot of thinking on the viewer's part. The middle 100 minutes are a step above that, but are essentially that (minus the brief monolith appearance with the ear piercing sound). It's an incredibly visualistic, monster, sci-fi movie. The first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes though...........

Although one might make the argument that both segments go on for a little too long, they're absolutely brilliant. I can't really add onto anything significantly here because my thoughts on what Kubrick was doing (I believe) have already been mentioned - evolution, rebirth, etc. - but it's just damn good. Confusing and trippy? Absolutely, but very brilliant.

2001, to put it simply, is a masterpiece.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:32 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

So I got the Kubrick collection and this is the first one I watched. haven't seen the film in... ages.

But, yeah. Still disturbing and beautiful and brilliant. I definitely loved The Dawn of Man sequence even more after noticing some new things on it.

<3 Keir Dullea (Bowman)

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:54 pm
He didn't look busy?!

love it or hate it, there's no denying that this film is simply a classic. Honestly, the term "epic" really doesn't apply to many movies made before the days of CGI, yet this film managed to do so thirty-five years ahead of the pack, and years before anything else [I guess "Star Wars" would be considered the next]. A film that doesn't even need acting to tell its story perfectly [hence no famous actors appearing], this is a visual and intellectual masterpiece, throwing away all the things expected from a movie, replacing one coherent storyline with numerous metaphorical ones, replacing the idea of one central character with none, and replacing a definitive ending with what is considered the most thought-provoking finale of any film in history, still sparking debate forty years later. I have never seen another film like "2001," and doubt I ever will [unless it simply gets copycatted]. this is an example of a guy not giving a crap what people want or expect, and having that REALLY pay off. I'm absolutely shocked that this picked up a Best Director nomination back when it came out, considering how it's much more renowned today than it was when it came out, and considering how the Academy never went for science-fiction when it came out.

A+

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Another You

From the opening scene, to the bone transforming into a space station, to the ending; simpLy makes 2001 one of the greatest, most stimuLating, mind-bLowing visuaL happenings in motion picture history and one of the best movies ever made. Its just one of the most perfect mixtures of music and motion I've ever experienced, that's caused me criticaLLy thinking about evoLution, technoLogy, etc. at the same time. Fuck the boring, fuck overrated; this movie is truLy amazing, StanLey Kubrick is pure genius and its briLLiance wiLL never be surpassed even if untiL Jupiter missions and moon coLonies ever came into reaLity.

A+

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:44 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I'm going to go against the tide here...

For all it's technical marvels, 2001 is bullshit. That's right, I've said, the entire film is BULLSHIT. Completely nonsensical ending, embarassingly bad acting, almost no plot at all other than HAL rebelling against the humans and killing them off, zero character development, wierd imagery that only freaks me out and adds nothing to the film. There is one BRILLIANT scene where Hal kills the humans that are sleeping in like 30 seconds, and for that scene and the amazing visuals I give it a

B-

Although its still extremely overrated.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:06 am
Extraordinary

Wind Waker wrote:

For all it's technical marvels, 2001 is bullshit. That's right, I've said, the entire film is BULLSHIT. Completely nonsensical ending, embarassingly bad acting, almost no plot at all other than HAL rebelling against the humans and killing them off, zero character development, wierd imagery that only freaks me out and adds nothing to the film. There is one BRILLIANT scene where Hal kills the humans that are sleeping in like 30 seconds, and for that scene and the amazing visuals I give it a

B-

Ya daft bastard!

:wacko:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:56 am
Teenage Dream

Wind Waker wrote:

B-

Worst review ever.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:08 am
Another You

:hahaha:

I never thought briLLiance and amazing visuaLs can be found in buLLshit.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:10 am
Extraordinary

I have no idea what you're talking about. This film is a wonder.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Box wrote:
This film is a wonder.

Yes, it often causes me to wonder why the film is loved so much.

:glare:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:25 am
loyalfromlondon

Wind Waker, in about a year, you're gonna look back on that and wonder what the hell you were thinking. I'm gonna take a page out of makeshift's book and say that you are undoubtedly, unquestionably WRONG.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:57 am

That's my opinion. Just because a film is a collection of bizarre images with no connection doesn't make it a "masterpiece". I watched it two years ago, re-watched it recently and my opinion hasn't changed., and I doubt it ever will. I don't know what you guys see in it.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Wind Waker wrote:
That's my opinion. Just because a film is a collection of bizarre images with no connection doesn't make it a "masterpiece". I watched it two years ago, re-watched it recently and my opinion hasn't changed., and I doubt it ever will. I don't know what you guys see in it.

:er: .............................but its all connected.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:28 pm

I don't understand it. It's just wierd and freaky and makes no sense to me. So I'm not going to label it a "trascendental masterpiece" just because everyone else is doing the same thing. I aint no brainwashed sheep.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:29 pm
Begging Naked

Wind Waker wrote:
I don't understand it. It's just wierd and freaky and makes no sense to me. So I'm not going to label it a "trascendental masterpiece" just because everyone else is doing the same thing. I aint no brainwashed sheep.

Does it frighten and confuse you?

Thanks for bumping this though. I'm watching it tomorrow. :D

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:32 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, it frightens me. Very much. :fear:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:33 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Best keep Videodrome away from Windwaker then or he'll have a heart Attack!!

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:38 pm
loyalfromlondon

Positive* Jon wrote:
Thanks for bumping this though. I'm watching it tomorrow. :D

Have you seen it before?

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 pm
Angels & Demons

Back in the days, it might have been something. But not in our present. I give it an F. I ve been bored to death when i attempted to watch it. I ve stopped the dvd three times, ie i ve watched it on three sits.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:50 pm
Teenage Dream

Wind Waker, I'm wondering... why are you so concerned with the movie making sense?

Here is what you've said - 2001 frightens you, confuses you, makes you uncomfortable and is "technically brilliant". Now let's assume for a moment that you can separate a movie's "technical brilliance" (or its style) from the rest of the movie (which you can't, just so we're clear). Even with that fallacious assumption in tow, you've said four extremely positive things about this movie. It made you feel because of what it did.

Let's not be so concerned with trying to piece this movie together like it's a jigsaw puzzle meant to be solved, and let's be more concerned with what it is doing and what it makes you feel or think about. If you keep it in the context of movie, you'll get somewhere with it all.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:57 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

makeshift wrote:
Wind Waker, I'm wondering... why are you so concerned with the movie making sense?

Here is what you've said - 2001 frightens you, confuses you, makes you uncomfortable and is "technically brilliant". Now let's assume for a moment that you can separate a movie's "technical brilliance" (or its style) from the rest of the movie (which you can't, just so we're clear). Even with that fallacious assumption in tow, you've said four extremely positive things about this movie. It made you feel because of what it did.

Let's not be so concerned with trying to piece this movie together like it's a jigsaw puzzle meant to be solved, and let's be more concerned with what it is doing and what it makes you feel or think about. If you keep it in the context of movie, you'll get somewhere with it all.

Defending Death Sentence by proxy I see.......................I will not stand for this! :rant:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:01 pm
Extraordinary

Yknow, as much as I love this film, I do think it's possible to hate the hell out of it. It takes its holy time to make some kind of point which is kinda sorta vague and might not actually exist at all, if you perceive my meanig, oh my lovers!

:towel:

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Folks discontented with 2001 must have a really hard time with anything that strays from conventional structure. You and Brian Cox in Adaptation both, buddy.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:27 pm
Team Kris

Wind Waker wrote:
I aint no brainwashed sheep.

Comments like these possibly directed to those who actually liked the film bugs me. So can I call the majority of people who hated Freddy Got Fingered brainwashed sheep for going with the trend? :pinch:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next