Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 War of the Worlds (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 59 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 33 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 109

War of the Worlds (2005) 
Mod Team Leader

Loyal, you always seem to be up early, just like me. Have trouble sleeping?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Loyal, you always seem to be up early, just like me. Have trouble sleeping?

:lol:

I haven't had a good night's sleep since 1977.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:46 am
Speed Racer

This was much darker and more tense then I imagined it would be. And to be honest some of the really ghastly stuff, such as the blood sucking I could have done without. And this movie also lacked any kind of humor to speak of. (Which true, would have been inappropriate in this setting... But that lack of humor really hurts it's summer popcorn quotient.)

I also thought that the whole Tim Robbins part was a mess, and that the very ending where Tom finds his family, including his son, alive and well in an intact house was too pat.

But you won't find me complaining about the way that the aliens were defeated. H.G. Wells wrote that book in the 19th Century, so I won't second guess it now, or critique it in the light of modern medicine. I would have been far more perturbed if Spielberg had strayed from the book.

Want to know the sad truth? This is only the 3rd movie I've seen this summer. The other two were Star Wars and Crash.

Beating a Drum for: DaVinci Code, Cars, Pirates of the Carribbean II

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

go watch batman

I'm a Marvel Girl holding out for FF ;)

Oh, and I forgot Madagascar. Gee. How could anyone forget Madagascar? :razz:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:
go watch batman

go watch batman

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:59 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

go watch batman

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (A-)
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (A-)
5. Sin City (A-)

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Want to know the sad truth? This is only the 3rd movie I've seen this summer. The other two were Star Wars and Crash.

And that would mean that Fantastic Four will be the fourth movie you see. :-k The irony is so thick it's choking me. :razz:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:30 pm
The Original

cujoy wrote:

And that would mean that Fantastic Four will be the fourth movie you see. :-k The irony is so thick it's choking me. :razz:

:laugh:

btw: go watch Batman cujoy. Its really good even you are not a Batfan.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:33 pm
Lover of Bacon

A very solid B, entertaining but not muc substance behind it. Perfect summer blockbuster popcorn affair.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:46 pm
Speed Racer

cujoy wrote:
bABA wrote:
go watch batman

go watch batman

OK. But not until I've seen Fantastic Four twice. (And I could have extended Maverikk's pun and said 4 times. But I resisted.) :laugh:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Second favorite movie of the year behined Batman Begins. It has knocked down Sin City off the #2 list for me. Im not usually a fan of disaster invasion movies but this movie just had all the right ingrediants for me, it was able to develop suspense unlike the Armageddon, ID4, and DAT movies. It also shows more of a closeup view of carnage done to human being. I guess in my twisted little mind seeing humans disintigate was the equivalent of me use to feeding my pet turtles live bait and watch them rip up a live fish before my eyes. Im sadistic am I :wink:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:05 pm
Forum General

It was entertaining and very well made. The special effects were top notch and it was pure action entertainment. Even though none of the characters were written as good as they could have been, at least Fannign delivered an amazing performance with what she had to work with and Tom Cruise gave a pretty good one too. (Plus you had an ex lotR-inger, so that's always a plus ;)

But I did have a few problems with it....

>> How they drove for miles and miles in the only car that was working and found a path or open space through EVERY jam there was. I mean ALL the other cars were stopped and jammed, how could you find a straight road or even a windy one through all the jams?????

>>Lack of explanation for the destruction of invadors. I know it was written at the turn of the century but they could have elaborated and tweaked it while still keeping its same plot and ending.

>>The way it all ended in an "and they lived happily ever after" tone. the son not remaining "dead" was a complete turn off.

>>Lack of humor has a big affect on the film. Signs was almost a comedy, this could have at least had a few one liners.

>>I also agree that the whole time Robbins part was a bit of a mess... no reason to stay word for word loyal to the book if it's going to kill the tone or the atmosphere of the film, reading a book and watching a movie are completely different forms of entertainment and what works for one medium may not work for the other.

But above all, I was just not as impressed as I hoped to be. There seemed to be a large lack of depth and heart and there is no way you can recover from that. Soild action entertainment but nothing more than that.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:24 pm
The Dark Knight

A
Second favorite movie of the year behined Batman Begins. It has knocked down Sin City off the #2 list for me. Im not usually a fan of disaster invasion movies but this movie just had all the right ingrediants for me, it was able to develop suspense unlike the Armageddon, ID4, and DAT movies. It also shows more of a closeup view of carnage done to human being. I guess in my twisted little mind seeing humans disintigate was the equivalent of me use to feeding my pet turtles live bait and watch them rip up a live fish before my eyes. Im sadistic am I :wink:

Agree. Except I give it a A+ and like it just as much as Batman begins! I loved how there was many new things in my opinion! I loved the way the tripods looked, moved, and everything. It rocked! Seeing humans disintigate was very cool! I thought the storyline was very well done and loved the ending. Though in the back of my mind I always wish there was a movie where the ETs win because I don't want the humans to win.

Always be proactive

Animals are gods

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

How come Ray's MECHANICAL watch stopped working?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

I saw the movie a couple of days ago, and I must say, even though I have forgotten a couple of small things about the movie, I thought this was a kick ass summer popcorn flick. The disappointing thing (If you want to call it that considering my grade......you'll see why in a second) though is that it could've been a lot more. I think if this had gone ahead with the original 2007 release date, we probably would've seen a classic movie, because they could've tweaked a couple of things here and there.

However, what they accomplished in about 10 months was pretty impressive.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Agree. Except I give it a A+ and like it just as much as Batman begins! I loved how there was many new things in my opinion! I loved the way the tripods looked, moved, and everything. It rocked! Seeing humans disintigate was very cool! I thought the storyline was very well done and loved the ending. Though in the back of my mind I always wish there was a movie where the ETs win because I don't want the humans to win.

Hmmm... :-k

imtim83 wrote:
I refuse to go the theaters anymore. There not worth it at all. I don't miss it at all and never will. I rather die than go to a theater.

:-k

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:52 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Just a grade from me... fantastic movie :)

9.4/10 (A)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:53 pm
Commander and Chef

may god rest him in peace

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

imtim died today.

I guess he won't be needing that account anymore, huh?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:55 pm
Extraordinary

I loved it,best film of the year so far,it was a very well made sexy movie.
What a sexy movie!

A+++++

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

imtim died today.

I am a ghost now which is the best!

Always be proactive

Animals are gods

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I loved it,best film of the year so far,it was a very well made sexy movie.
What a sexy movie!

A+++++

Great review :lol: !

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Time: 10:00PM
250 SEATS: 1/2 Full

Trailers: King Kong: Still looks cartoonish looking and KONG himself looks much smaller than the 76 version and Jack Black looks horribly miscast for this movie.. No reaction from anyone..

The Island: No reaction

Elizabethtown: No reaction

Bad News Bears: Some chuckles and loks like it could be a decent remake

The Movie: Jesus, I'm drained after seeing this.. I haven't felt this kind of intensity since 93 when Jurassic Park came out.. The sound FX, The FX overall in general were simply an awesome sight to behold.. In brief summary: Ray(Tom Cruise) plays a Dad who works as a crane operator.. He's the kind of Dad you can tell that definitely has issues and sort of comes off like a prick the way he treats his children, well, specifically the older Son, Robbie.. His daughter Rachel doesn't get near the treatment the Son receives and for the most part, she's pretty damn smart for her age.. I see Dakota Fanning as the next Jodie Foster in how she was when she started out as a kid.. Father and Son have a very restrained relationship and you can see this while there throwing the baseball in the backyard, both referring to one another as a "Dick" as Cruise tells his Son and his Son refers to him as an "Asshole"..

As we continue along, we see the dark clouds and the lightening approach and before we know it, the pavement begins to crumble, buildings begin to split and up emerges this Enormous Tripod.. The Sound FX when this thing walks is very reminiscent of the sound Spielberg created when the T-Rex walked in Jurassic Park and did so with an earth shattering BOOM that shook the theatre.. Vehicles stop running because of the electrical current these things gave off and somehow Cruise manages to find the 1 vehicle that did work.. Now, I've seen folks complain about how was it possible that 1 vehicle could work and the rest couldn't?? The answer: Because once the electrical current in the beginning of the movie made the vehicles not run, Cruise suggested to the mechanic to change the Solinoid.. The mechanic changed the Solinoid in that particular vehicle which in turn, enable it to run, which is when Cruise and his kids stole the vehicle before his mechanic became vaporized.... The other vehicles didn't have the Solinoid changed, but only the van..

The Carnage: Very eye opening.. As people were running for there lives, the beams just vaporized everyone in it's path leaving bodily ashes everywhere including Tom Cruises(Ray) hair as he notices it in the mirror and washes it out.. For a movie that was PG-13, I'd have to say this was a damn HARD PG-13 movie that could've received an R-Rating and I would be anxious to see if there is a "Director's Cut" of this film when it arrives on DVD or an "Extended Cut" that gives it that R-Rating.. I thought the Ferry scene on the Hudson River was a sight to behold and seeing the tentacles of this Tripod snatch people up in the air was stunning, leaving my Jaw to drop.. I glanced around to see others reaction and it was basically the same way: Jaw dropping.. As for the Basement scene with Tim Robbins?? It could've been shortened by a few minutes and he came off as a survivalist nut that had his days numbered.. I enjoyed the Anaconda looking eye scoping out the cellar for any survivors and then remerging from the cellar and seeing the landscape look like Mars with all the red fertilizer looking weeds.. Well done and very Alien landscape looking..

The ending: I thought the ending was excellent and was exactly like the novel, complete with the emerging Alien hand crawling out of the Tripod and the head emerging, taking a gasp of breath and dying from the bacteria.. I waited around after the movie was over, or at least, walked slowly out of the theatre to guagae some reaction to see if it was the same reaction were reading here on the net about the ending ruining the movie and the only folks I saw complaining or at least questioning it were young teens.. The older crowd accepted it and maybe because they were well familar with the novel and the 1957 version of War of the Worlds.. That's just the way it was.. That's the way it ended and I felt there was nothing ridiculous about it..

Overall: I'd give this a 10.. It was that damn good and I'd be anxious to see how this holds up n the coming weekends to come.. As far as any applause at the end of the movie?? There was a little, but not overwhelming by a long shot.. I'm not exactly sure I would attribute that to disappointment though, but merely a draining reaction to the film itself.. This movie did not let up once it got going..

"A"

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:46 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

What a great movie. I found it very dark, VERY horrifying, and the first half of the movie was probably the best moments in any movie ever released in the last few decades. The found the second half not as good as the first half, good enough to carry the movie to a decent end. I actually found the end very sensible, loyal to the book, and it completed the story. This movie was great entertainment it was Speilberg at the top of his game!!! Cruise and Fanning did a terrific job in this. A beautiful piece of "technical" work, and very nice acting.

In general:

The Good:
-Pacing was good
-Special Effects were...dare I say it..groundbreaking
-Tone was consistant
-The movie didn't drag in the beggining as most movies do.
-Acting was good
-Nice money shots and camera angles
-Terrific Sound

The Bad:
-Robbins character seemed a bit useless
-Alot more could have been done with the basement scene
-Some things didn't make sense
-Some things were a little cliche

Its a TERRIFIC movie. Its in my Top 3 of the year, if not my most favorite movie this year.

Grade: A

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next