Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next
 Children of Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109

Children of Men 
Indiana Jones IV

You know that feeling when after a scene plays out, your body relaxes and you realize you had your hands tightly clenched due to an overwhelming intensity? I experienced that a few times during Children of Men, aka - the best movie of 2006. This was one of those movies (Iwo Jima, and Pan's Labyrinth being a couple more) that I hoped would save a relatively weak year in film and I had been anticipating in since way back in, shit, maybe a year ago when I first saw the trailer (and have since seen the trailer on nearly every movie throughout the year)...........the movie really has been delayed like a mofo. But the wait was worth it. From the first unbroken handheld that ends in the exlosion and titlecard, I was hooked. Loved the premise and main story idea and the realization on screen of this future Britain was startling and magnificent. Overcroweded streets, garbage heaps, wild animals, graffiti, protestors and the military, all intertwined with gaudy high-tech digital displays. Production design must get recognized with a nomination at the oscars, I mean, that refugee camp and dilapidated city-scape that the final 25 minutes take place in are so impressive and realistic. Even shots in the country are spruced up with grotesque, charred cattle piles and other assorted disgusting environmental effects. There was always so much to look at within a given frame in this movie.

And speaking of gorgeous frames, the real heros of Children of Men are its director and cinematographer. I hadn't previously seen anything from Cauron, aside from the last half of Azkaban (which was impressive), and though I was somewhat prepared for brilliance by reading some reviews, I was still knocked on my ass by some of these sequences and compositions. That unbroken take inside the car when Julian bites it was a thing of beauty and the sequence with Theo running around trying to find Kee amidst a warzone was equally stunning. The handhelds and long unbroken shots are so effective in scenes like this. As a member of the audience I felt like I was right next to Clive diving in and out of cover trying desperately to not get shot and make it though that hell. Not your typical war scene, since Theo wasn't on either side and that's why it seemed fresh. I also really appreciated how Cauron handled slower scenes, in particular the one that takes place in the abandoned school, nicely framing Kee on the swing-set off in the distance through smashed classroom windows and Theo in the foreground. Lubezki is a god in my eyes, having done the cinematography for the astonishing The New World last year and now this gem, I don't see how he can top those two. Great lighting and a real gritty, polluted and grimy look that serves the vision of the future perfectly. Some lovely lens-flares and some really gorgeous blacks and shadows when they're on the bus going to the refugee camp.

Above all the outstanding technical accomplishments, the movie is the best of the year because it pushed my buttons and got me emotional, something all of the real greats manage to do. After Closer, Sin City and Inside Man, Clive Owen was quickly becoming my favourite actor and his performance here seals it. I loved what his character went through; being initially enticed by the money and his former lover, to heartbreak and shock, to anger and then to being fully behind the preservation of Kee and her baby and some unknown benefit that her survival may have on a world gone to shit. Everyone else was great in smaller roles, but the momentum and design of the movie didn't allow for many scenes of exposition where anyone could really stand-out and provide traditional "oscar" moments and I was actually thankful for that.

So yeah, Children of Men gets a damn A+.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Its a very good film - but im sure if i had seen it after reading this thread - i'd have been dissapointed to. Its definitely one of the years best - but probably a little too overhyped on this forum.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 am
College Boy Z

Its a very good film - but im sure if i had seen it after reading this thread - i'd have been dissapointed to. Its definitely one of the years best - but probably a little too overhyped on this forum.

As usual.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:20 am
The French Dutch Boy

You know that feeling when after a scene plays out, your body relaxes and you realize you had your hands tightly clenched due to an overwhelming intensity? I experienced that a few times during Children of Men, aka - the best movie of 2006. This was one of those movies (Iwo Jima, and Pan's Labyrinth being a couple more) that I hoped would save a relatively weak year in film and I had been anticipating in since way back in, shit, maybe a year ago when I first saw the trailer (and have since seen the trailer on nearly every movie throughout the year)...........the movie really has been delayed like a mofo. But the wait was worth it. From the first unbroken handheld that ends in the exlosion and titlecard, I was hooked. Loved the premise and main story idea and the realization on screen of this future Britain was startling and magnificent. Overcroweded streets, garbage heaps, wild animals, graffiti, protestors and the military, all intertwined with gaudy high-tech digital displays. Production design must get recognized with a nomination at the oscars, I mean, that refugee camp and dilapidated city-scape that the final 25 minutes take place in are so impressive and realistic. Even shots in the country are spruced up with grotesque, charred cattle piles and other assorted disgusting environmental effects. There was always so much to look at within a given frame in this movie.

And speaking of gorgeous frames, the real heros of Children of Men are its director and cinematographer. I hadn't previously seen anything from Cauron, aside from the last half of Azkaban (which was impressive), and though I was somewhat prepared for brilliance by reading some reviews, I was still knocked on my ass by some of these sequences and compositions. That unbroken take inside the car when Julian bites it was a thing of beauty and the sequence with Theo running around trying to find Kee amidst a warzone was equally stunning. The handhelds and long unbroken shots are so effective in scenes like this. As a member of the audience I felt like I was right next to Clive diving in and out of cover trying desperately to not get shot and make it though that hell. Not your typical war scene, since Theo wasn't on either side and that's why it seemed fresh. I also really appreciated how Cauron handled slower scenes, in particular the one that takes place in the abandoned school, nicely framing Kee on the swing-set off in the distance through smashed classroom windows and Theo in the foreground. Lubezki is a god in my eyes, having done the cinematography for the astonishing The New World last year and now this gem, I don't see how he can top those two. Great lighting and a real gritty, polluted and grimy look that serves the vision of the future perfectly. Some lovely lens-flares and some really gorgeous blacks and shadows when they're on the bus going to the refugee camp.

Above all the outstanding technical accomplishments, the movie is the best of the year because it pushed my buttons and got me emotional, something all of the real greats manage to do. After Closer, Sin City and Inside Man, Clive Owen was quickly becoming my favourite actor and his performance here seals it. I loved what his character went through; being initially enticed by the money and his former lover, to heartbreak and shock, to anger and then to being fully behind the preservation of Kee and her baby and some unknown benefit that her survival may have on a world gone to shit. Everyone else was great in smaller roles, but the momentum and design of the movie didn't allow for many scenes of exposition where anyone could really stand-out and provide traditional "oscar" moments and I was actually thankful for that.

Good ol' Benny with his usual awesome review. :biggrin:

I think Benny and I are long lost siblings. I have eerily similar tastes and thoughts as him.

Peace,
Mike.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:23 am
Indiana Jones IV

BennyBlanco wrote:

Good ol' Benny with his usual awesome review. :biggrin:

I think Benny and I are long lost siblings. I have eerily similar tastes and thoughts as him.

Peace,
Mike.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I think the last couple of years your year-end top 10 list has had six or seven films in common with my own and I always look forward to your take on things. Cheers bro. :thumbsup:

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Joe is the first official hater, giving the film a D in the Crowd Reports thread.

This venom must be ridded away with from the earth. Snrub?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I never read these threads for a big movie I'm definitely planning to see. I only read the thread after I've written and posted my review to it.

Are there really WOKJ members who pre-read these threads?!?

(Though that might explain some of the groupthink that goes on around here...)

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:51 am
invading your spaces

edit. I can't devote energy to this today.

I'm going to go see the movie a second time this morning, will post review maybe later.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I'm going to go see the movie a second time this morning, will post review maybe later.

Can't devote energy, seeing it a second time... that doesn't bode well...

You either can't be bothered arguing with the film's lovers, or you're suffering from some kind of energy sapping disease... Please God, let it be the latter!

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:59 pm
College Boy Z

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:03 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

andaroo.temp wrote:

You either can't be bothered arguing with the film's lovers, or you're suffering from some kind of energy sapping disease... Please God, let it be the latter!

You've dribbled enough shit for a lifetime.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:12 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Snrub wrote:
andaroo.temp wrote:

You've dribbled enough shit for a lifetime.

While I can't argue with your assertion (I'm famous for my shit dribbling), it nevertheless hurt my feelings... :cry:

I guess I'll have to take solace in the B you gave CoM in this thread. Something that, to my knowledge, is completely irreversible.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:17 pm
htm

It is a masterpiece. It's going to be remembered as one of those great films that you only get once in a while.

I can't wait to see it again. I'm hoping it is as.... masterful.... as I suspect.

Seriously, didn't it feel like a Kubrick film at times? Mixed with Lubezki's style and Cuaron's gritty direction, it was awesome. :ohmy:

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Who cares?

It is a masterpiece. It's going to be remembered as one of those great films that you only get once in a while.

I can't wait to see it again. I'm hoping it is as.... masterful.... as I suspect.

Seriously, didn't it feel like a Kubrick film at times? Mixed with Lubezki's style and Cuaron's gritty direction, it was awesome. :ohmy:

I'm so disappointed that you love Curaon, especially this abortion. (so average...)

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:55 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Snrub wrote:
getluv wrote:
I've had this conversation in the Cinemania forums.

When? Looking at the "Children Of Men is a masterpiece" thread, your only real comment on its technical faults is:

getluv wrote:
Luckily I didn't fall asleep in the first five minutes. While I do think this is a good movie, I can't help but fault the problems in the end. I was also concerned with the lack of depth into the whole "why" issue, which puts it into a science fiction based film.

What problems in the end?

The "why" issue is something I'm a bit baffled people feel is a flaw. If they knew why people had stopped having babies, surely they'd be better equipped to sort out a cure. The whole reason the world's turned to anarchy and chaos is because people don't know "why" it's happened. It's the reason people were preaching on the streets and sects like "the flagilators" turned up. Being spoon-fed a reason for it would've detracted from the overall theme - hopelessness and confusion.

Besides anything else, "why" did AIDS come along? There are theories (boh scientific and conspiracy) about it, and, after years of investigation, there's some evidence to assume it evolved from SIV (simian immuno-deficiency virus), but that still leaves the question, where did SIV come from?

I'd be interested to know what the technical flaws you think the film had are?

Saying that, I appreciate that you "think this is a good movie"! Praise like that is enough to get you honorary membership in my Children Of Men Oscar Clean-up Club!

Well why didn't they make some sort of concrete explanation. This is sci-fi crap. The future is a mix of elements from the present, though the problem is that there seems to be no explanation as to why and how these elements have ended up together in the two decades that separate the audience from 2027.

The point you make about the lack of an explination for the inability of women to conceive and how it devolves the film to the realm of "sci-fi crap" means you must believe that the world you live in is "sci-fi crap" because scientists over the past 30-40 years have noted a gradual decline in the spermcounts of males in the Western world. As of yet they have no concrete explination for why this is happening but you don't hear people scoofing in annoyance because they don't know why this is happening it just is.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:03 pm

getluv wrote:
Snrub wrote:
getluv wrote:
I've had this conversation in the Cinemania forums.

When? Looking at the "Children Of Men is a masterpiece" thread, your only real comment on its technical faults is:

getluv wrote:
Luckily I didn't fall asleep in the first five minutes. While I do think this is a good movie, I can't help but fault the problems in the end. I was also concerned with the lack of depth into the whole "why" issue, which puts it into a science fiction based film.

What problems in the end?

The "why" issue is something I'm a bit baffled people feel is a flaw. If they knew why people had stopped having babies, surely they'd be better equipped to sort out a cure. The whole reason the world's turned to anarchy and chaos is because people don't know "why" it's happened. It's the reason people were preaching on the streets and sects like "the flagilators" turned up. Being spoon-fed a reason for it would've detracted from the overall theme - hopelessness and confusion.

Besides anything else, "why" did AIDS come along? There are theories (boh scientific and conspiracy) about it, and, after years of investigation, there's some evidence to assume it evolved from SIV (simian immuno-deficiency virus), but that still leaves the question, where did SIV come from?

I'd be interested to know what the technical flaws you think the film had are?

Saying that, I appreciate that you "think this is a good movie"! Praise like that is enough to get you honorary membership in my Children Of Men Oscar Clean-up Club!

Well why didn't they make some sort of concrete explanation. This is sci-fi crap. The future is a mix of elements from the present, though the problem is that there seems to be no explanation as to why and how these elements have ended up together in the two decades that separate the audience from 2027.

The point you make about the lack of an explination for the inability of women to conceive and how it devolves the film to the realm of "sci-fi crap" means you must believe that the world you live in is "sci-fi crap" because scientists over the past 30-40 years have noted a gradual decline in the spermcounts of males in the Western world. As of yet they have no concrete explination for why this is happening but you don't hear people scoofing in annoyance because they don't know why this is happening it just is.

Where did you pull this crap from. Mexico.

*What modern man wants a human from a living cunt, unless it's a pin-up girl.
*Yes, technology has also proven how retarded people were back in the olden days...

Be gone with it. I live in a world where only people like me, speak to me.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:07 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The sound of an annoyed withdrawal. I like it.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:12 pm
htm

zennier wrote:
Who cares?

I'm so disappointed that you love Curaon, especially this abortion. (so average...)

abortion. :hahaha:

I've always liked Cuaron. Have you seen his older stuff?

It isn't always masterful, but I like what he does with the material. I like his style. I've always appreciated it...

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:13 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Here getluv some reading material for you

http://www.cqs.com/esperm.htm

Now call them abortions for not having a concrete explination yet.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Yes I believe everything that comes out of this mouth...

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm

just watched it again with an actual audience... no doubt this is the year's best film... I'm still trying to get used to this forum... I visit it every day but I just don't like to post... don't ask me why, but I think I'm gonna have to be here a lot more 'cause most of you guys have great taste in films... this is the best directing & cinematography I've seen in years...
*****/*****

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

And less of Getluv... J/K getluv, you know I love you. :wub:

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:49 pm

Hope to see more of you, Carlinhos!

And less of Getluv... J/K getluv, you know I love you. :wub:

So much for our little vagina expeditions.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:53 pm
Where will you be?

Gullimont-Kyro wrote:

Do you consistently make an effort to be as immature as possible, or can you simply not help it?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:17 pm

getluv wrote:
Gullimont-Kyro wrote:

Do you consistently make an effort to be as immature as possible, or can you simply not help it?

Was this a serious question? It's quite early for me to go on about how much of a waste of space you are.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next