Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 War of the Worlds (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 59 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 33 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 109

War of the Worlds (2005) 
Mod Team Leader

Okay. War of the Worlds review time. Hmmmm...

Damn it, but that Spielberg dude is the master of set pieces! He can create a moving tableau like no other director. I loved that bit where the church cracks in half! He can even sustain it for almost an hour when he's at his best (qv: opening battle sequence of Private Ryan).

But give this guy a whole movie (as the carte blanche he has been given since the 70's), and look at him slide...

Spielberg couldn't tell a whole two-hour story if his life depended on it. As a matter of fact, I gave up on caring about Spielberg and his characters at just about the one hour mark, and decided then and there to just enjoy the scenery. What a lame second half! The air just came rushing out of this hot air balloon and the whole flaccid enterprise came settling to the ground in a heap of tawdry folds. Yikes!

The one thing good I can say about it, is that the marketing campaign was superbly orchestrated. From Tom Cruise's so-called crazy outbursts, to the reminders of Scientology that somehow tied so well into the film - WOW! - whoever directed that campaign should be given the reigns in the next blockbuster summer flick - it'd go boffo deluxe!

I even felt bad for Dakota Fanning in this mess - gawd, she is capable of so much more - what a freakin' waste of talent - not to mention Tim Robbins - poor bastard...

This is a bad movie.

2 out of 5 (D+)

YHou cannot say that Spielberg cannot tell a 2 hour story. Look at every one of his films besides this one. Even taking away his 70's films, Raiders, E.T., Jurassic Park and his newer ones like SPR and Catch Me if you Can are all more than 2 hours and they are masterful. I think the mistake Steven made is that he followed the film right from the book and there were very little changes made. Not SS's fault, but that is Koepp and his ideas.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

YHou cannot say that Spielberg cannot tell a 2 hour story. Look at every one of his films besides this one. Even taking away his 70's films, Raiders, E.T., Jurassic Park and his newer ones like SPR and Catch Me if you Can are all more than 2 hours and they are masterful.

ET, Jurassic Park, and Saving Private Ryan would all be top examples, imho, of his inability to tell 2 hour stories. Even Raiders of the Lost Ark and Catch Me If You Can, while better told stories than the first three you suggested, once again depended on a series of strong set pieces to carry them...

Just thinking of Saving Private Ryan irritates me! Spielberg opens with the best combat sequence ever filmed, and then follows up with the most boring, meandering, sloppy stew of a war story ever directed...

War of the Worlds is more of the same.

I realize many people enjoy Spielberg's work, and the guy does know how to techniquely produce a movie, but I'm just a sucker for a well told tale. Story rules.

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:02 am
Mod Team Leader

baumer72 wrote:
YHou cannot say that Spielberg cannot tell a 2 hour story. Look at every one of his films besides this one. Even taking away his 70's films, Raiders, E.T., Jurassic Park and his newer ones like SPR and Catch Me if you Can are all more than 2 hours and they are masterful.

ET, Jurassic Park, and Saving Private Ryan would all be top examples, imho, of his inability to tell 2 hour stories. Even Raiders of the Lost Ark and Catch Me If You Can, while better told tales than the first three you suggested, once again depended on a series of strong set pieces to carry them...

Just thinking of Saving Private Ryan irritates me! Spielberg opens with the best combat sequence ever filmed, and then follows up with the most boring, meandering, sloppy stew of a war story ever directed...

Well, I can't debate your opinion. E.T. is one of my fave films and Raiders is flawless....my opinion of course.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

What makes me mad about that scene is it's so historically innaccurate it's insulting. Sure, I am young but I still KNOW for a fact George Marshall did not send 8 or whatever men to save one guy on D-Day, I KNOW that battle was not them running and blowing up a fence in 30 minutes. If he wants to make a movie about D-Day, he should.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I've been thinking lately and maybe the plot holes aren't so bad. And the ending, although short, and too "happy" of one, was still OK. For all we know the bacteria that killed them could've mutated the first second they came on earth and they didn't know. The movie was actually pretty tense through out and it's a Sci-Fi film so I will ignore some plot holes. I am raising my grade from a D + to a C.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

bradley witherberry wrote:
baumer72 wrote:

ET, Jurassic Park, and Saving Private Ryan would all be top examples, imho, of his inability to tell 2 hour stories. Even Raiders of the Lost Ark and Catch Me If You Can, while better told tales than the first three you suggested, once again depended on a series of strong set pieces to carry them...

Well, I can't debate your opinion. E.T. is one of my fave films and Raiders is flawless....my opinion of course.

I agree, they are both phenomenal films.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

baumer72 wrote:
bradley witherberry wrote:
baumer72 wrote:

I agree, they are both phenomenal films.

Raiders is but E.T. is crap.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is my new favorite film of the year. Brilliant in every single way possible.

10/10 (A+)

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:19 pm
Profile YIM
The Original

After some thinking I higher my grade to 6.9/10 (Nah it wont get 7). As I said some aspects are brilliant but then there is also such mediocre stuff. But I start to like the movie a bit more.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:24 pm
Forum General

I didn't think it was a terrible film but I didn't think it was a good film either. I loved the first half of it, I thought that was great. Then when Tim Robbins came into the picture, I thought it got really stupid and boring. The aliens looked like shit too, the acting wasn't good at all, spare for Dakota and the guy. It was a fun time waster, not something I'd watch again. I say THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW is the better disaster movie, though I gave them the same rating.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

nothing about the film's look was bad. i thought for the first time, aliens were made to look good .. more than stupid faceless monsters ... when they showed their face, you could see some personality and each alien looked different from each other facially to some extent .. i thought that was good.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

They should have had different races of aliens ... you know ... like teletubies.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I loved it. It doesn't have the world's best screenplay and the ending is a bit flawed and nonsensical, but I found most of this film to be absolutely terrifying. The fear, paranoia and anxiety created in the original story are well presented here. The film also has some haunting imagery that many will find disturbing, which I can't say I was really expecting. This is actually more of a horror movie than anything else. Tom Cruise is fine as deadbeat dad Ray Ferrier. It won't go down as one of the actor's best performances, but he fills the role admirably. Uber-talented Dakota Fanning is given the shaft by the script; we've seen what she's capable of before (such as turning an absolutely horrendous movie like Hide and Seek into a passable one), but Rachel mostly just sits around and screams. I suppose Fanning does this well, but she is unfortunately not given that much to work with. Justin Chatwin makes little to no impression as Robbie. Tim Robbins supplies some very brief comic relief but the whole section in his basement felt somewhat unnecessary. Miranda Otto is vastly underused. Anyway, War of the Worlds' strength is not in its acting. Steven Spielberg effectively builds tension to heart-stopping levels during certain moments and many of the special effects are breathtaking. Terrific film. A-

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:08 am
Hot Fuss

That's War of the Worlds. Okay. I felt like I was watching clips from dozens of other movies. I saw hints of Independence Day, Deep Impact, Signs.... dozens of movies.... I guess WotW was a fun action movie, with plently of tension, but not enough meat. It felt sort of lifeless, like Sky Captain (but that was popcorn fun, this was a little more serious). The acting is fine. Except Tim Robins. He spoiled the last act for me. The direction works. Everything works. But nothing stands out. Well, maybe that cool belch the aliens make does, but... meh.

I liked most of the action sequences, especially the look and feel of the ferry scene. Very cool. It had a great vintage feel to it. And the music was perfect during most of the movie.

I want to give the film an A for recreating the feel of those cheesy 50s SciFi Thrillers. I want to give it a D for the lack of substance and inability to be original. So, I'll settle for a B. What was the perfect SciFi movie was spoiled by it's own roots, really. For decades films have been inspired by vintage scifi, especially war of the worlds. It makes this true adaptation seem dull and ordinary, like the rest. Shame.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
The French Dutch Boy

I loved it. It doesn't have the world's best screenplay and the ending is a bit flawed and nonsensical, but I found most of this film to be absolutely terrifying. The fear, paranoia and anxiety created in the original story are well presented here. The film also has some haunting imagery that many will find disturbing, which I can't say I was really expecting. This is actually more of a horror movie than anything else. Tom Cruise is fine as deadbeat dad Ray Ferrier. It won't go down as one of the actor's best performances, but he fills the role admirably. Uber-talented Dakota Fanning is given the shaft by the script; we've seen what she's capable of before (such as turning an absolutely horrendous movie like Hide and Seek into a passable one), but Rachel mostly just sits around and screams. I suppose Fanning does this well, but she is unfortunately not given that much to work with. Justin Chatwin makes little to no impression as Robbie. Tim Robbins supplies some very brief comic relief but the whole section in his basement felt somewhat unnecessary. Miranda Otto is vastly underused. Anyway, War of the Worlds' strength is not in its acting. Steven Spielberg effectively builds tension to heart-stopping levels during certain moments and many of the special effects are breathtaking. Terrific film. A-

I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed it! I value your opinion a lot, as I find you have very similar tastes as me, and it's nice to hear the opinion of a female on here. I agree with pretty much everything except on Dakota Fanning. Yes, she was underused, but yet again I thought she did incredible. She nailed exactly how a girl that age would react; scream for mommy and nag, and Fanning continues to act more real than a lot of adult actors, in my opinion. No hints of fake/forced acting on her part, like most child actors. I think she is brilliant in that respect. Anyways, thanks for the comments. :)

PEACE, Mike ;)

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:26 am
Extraordinary

Can you imagine the aliens having sex with humans?

Kinda gives the term "foot up your ass" a whole different meaning.

And Libs, oh dear Libsina, you're so crazy. :roll: :fishing:

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Can you imagine the aliens having sex with humans?

Kinda gives the term "foot up your ass" a whole different meaning.

And Libs, oh dear Libsina, you're so crazy. :roll: :fishing:

Sorry I didn't think it was a mediocre mess like you did. :razz:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:58 am
Award Winning Bastard

I still think you'll drop your grade once you've reflected on it some more. :down:

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:01 am
je vois l'avenir

WOW. I just got back from the film and this is amazing. I was fine with the ending because every diaster film has a cheezy and stupid ending. I loved the special effects. Some of the best. I can see myself watching this over and over again. This ties with Batman Begins for the best of the year.

A

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 am
je vois l'avenir

Yes, she was underused, but yet again I thought she did incredible. She nailed exactly how a girl that age would react; scream for mommy and nag, and Fanning continues to act more real than a lot of adult actors, in my opinion. No hints of fake/forced acting on her part, like most child actors. I think she is brilliant in that respect. Anyways, thanks for the comments.

I agree 100%. I think that Fanning was great in the film. that is exactly what someone in that situation would do. I love her. First noticed her in I Am Sam which was a great film btw.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:33 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

bABA wrote:
hmm ... i'm reading these reviews and i'm getting some vibe. maybe you guys can help me out.

The grades you all are giving seem good ... B and above ... yet i'm detecting disappointment? Is it safe to say that most of you considered it a good movie but didn't live up to the expectations that one was lead to believe? Thanks.

This is nowhere near as good as Independence Day. There is no sense of joy that the aliens are defeated, because it's too poorly executed to celebrate. I gave it a B because I love the subject matter, and there was good stuff throughout, but there was also bad stuff. For instance, it wasn't too bad that Cruise just happened to get lucky and find the only car in the world that wasn't a military vehicle that would still run, but it was dumb that he also found one that didn't require gasoline, no matter how far he traveled. What the hell was that about? Sloppy stuff like that isn't my bag, and Spielberg is better than that.

The ending was pretty lame and anticlimatic. I would say that my fears about this film being rushed so they could make the July 4th date were confirmed.

Yeah, but when you point flaws out in this movie like this, hell, look at ID4 for a moment: Will Smith pulls the hatch off the Alien ship and punches an Alien in the head and says "Welcome to Earth" no more than just 2 scenes earlier when this thing was flinging Brett Spiner around the lab by his neck head 1st into the glass window in mid air??? :-k This thing would've ripped Will Smith in half not to mention the Quarantine factor would've ben in question after coming in contact with this thing.. Oh and here's another classic ID4 Nitpick moment: Will Smith and Goldblum crash this Alien ship into the desert, the military races toward the crash to see if they were Ok and Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are seen through the Binoculars swaggering as they walked like nothing ever happened to them.. Not a mark, blemish or even a cut or bruise.. :laugh: So enough of the WOTW nitpicks.. Both movies are Sci-Fi action and like with any Sci-Fi movie, there will always be disbelief, but it's the job of the moviegoer to suspend it long enough to enjoy it..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I still think you'll drop your grade once you've reflected on it some more. :down:

The funny thing is, I am thinking of increasing my grade the more I think of it. I think wht casued me to drop my grade so much is the rushed ending. But is that really enough to drop the grade based on the first hour. Because that is some of the best film making I have ever seen. I am going to see it again, and make up my mind then.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Maverikk wrote:
bABA wrote:
hmm ... i'm reading these reviews and i'm getting some vibe. maybe you guys can help me out.

The grades you all are giving seem good ... B and above ... yet i'm detecting disappointment? Is it safe to say that most of you considered it a good movie but didn't live up to the expectations that one was lead to believe? Thanks.

This is nowhere near as good as Independence Day. There is no sense of joy that the aliens are defeated, because it's too poorly executed to celebrate. I gave it a B because I love the subject matter, and there was good stuff throughout, but there was also bad stuff. For instance, it wasn't too bad that Cruise just happened to get lucky and find the only car in the world that wasn't a military vehicle that would still run, but it was dumb that he also found one that didn't require gasoline, no matter how far he traveled. What the hell was that about? Sloppy stuff like that isn't my bag, and Spielberg is better than that.

The ending was pretty lame and anticlimatic. I would say that my fears about this film being rushed so they could make the July 4th date were confirmed.

You do know that when Will Smith smacks the aline, the alien had just crash landed and pretty much incapaciatated.

Yeah, but when you point flaws out in this movie like this, hell, look at ID4 for a moment: Will Smith pulls the hatch off the Alien ship and punches an Alien in the head and says "Welcome to Earth" no more than just 2 scenes earlier when this thing was flinging Brett Spiner around the lab by his neck head 1st into the glass window in mid air??? :-k This thing would've ripped Will Smith in half not to mention the Quarantine factor would've ben in question after coming in contact with this thing.. Oh and here's another classic ID4 Nitpick moment: Will Smith and Goldblum crash this Alien ship into the desert, the military races toward the crash to see if they were Ok and Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are seen through the Binoculars swaggering as they walked like nothing ever happened to them.. Not a mark, blemish or even a cut or bruise.. :laugh: So enough of the WOTW nitpicks.. Both movies are Sci-Fi action and like with any Sci-Fi movie, there will always be disbelief, but it's the job of the moviegoer to suspend it long enough to enjoy it..

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Maverikk wrote:
bABA wrote:

You do know that when Will Smith smacks the aline, the alien had just crash landed and pretty much incapaciatated.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:35 am
Profile WWW
BKB, I meant to point this out when you posted it in different thread. The scene with the alien attacking in the Area 51 lab is after Will Smith knocks it out (it's the same alien after all). It's later in the film, 30 minutes or so.

Doesn't make it any less crazy.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next