Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Rocky V 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Rocky V 
now we know

Post Rocky V
Rocky V

Quote:
Rocky V is an American film released as the fifth film in the Rocky series in 1990. It stars Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Stallone's real life son Sage, and real life boxer Tommy Morrison as boxer Tommy Gunn, a talented yet raw boxer. Sage played Robert Balboa, whose relationship with his famous father is explored.

After Stallone directed the second through fourth films in the series, Rocky V saw the return of director John G. Avildsen, whose direction of the first film won him an Academy Award for Best Director.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

This movie doesn't exist. I've erased it from my mind. There's only 4 Rocky movies, with the 5th one following later this year.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I didn't think it was terrible, but yeah, definitely sub-par overall and below the other Rocky films. It has its heart in the right place most of the time, but a lot of stuff is just too stupid and cheesy for its own good and it's not even that "entertaining", like Rocky IV was for instance.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

The worst of the Franchise, but still an ok watch

C

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:04 am
On autopilot for the summer

As a boxing film, its not bad. As a Rocky film, its just really bad. I can't wait for the real Rocky 5 this year.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:59 am
Mod Team Leader

This movie doesn't exist. I've erased it from my mind. There's only 4 Rocky movies, with the 5th one following later this year.

not often I agree with GuyBrush on everything he says, but this is one of those times. I despised this film. Can't wait for the next one.

C

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:10 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

it gets a bit more hate than it deserves. yeah, it's not great but i find it to be a pretty entertaining movie to watch.

C+/B-

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:59 pm
Superman: The Movie

it gets a bit more hate than it deserves. yeah, it's not great but i find it to be a pretty entertaining movie to watch.

C+/B-

:yes:

[font=century gothic]B-[/font]

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Rocky V
This is so disappointing, it's not necessarily a bad film, but it so doesn't work as a sequel to Rocky IV. The cast is still quite good, Stallone is still good as Rocky too, but in comparison to the others it could be easy to say this misses Apollo. The best character in this is the promoter Duke, he's a nice villain character, but for a boxing film to be a non-boxer be the villain is off, and on top of that both Rocky and Tommy Gunn are two quite unlikable characters in this too.
The score is also a let down from the previous films, but in terms of overall production it's actually still good, it's just that when things became more flashy and bombastic in Rocky III and IV, it's back to its roots elements don't work again as well this time around. The best parts are those scenes between Rocky and Mickey in this. But the script is just main problem with this film, it feels too much of a desperate attempt to make another Rocky, and not enough thought went into what would be the right story and execution for it.
Also Sly directed the heck out of Rocky II - IV, and maybe it's a good thing Avildsen directed this, so Sly could keep his hands clean from this dysfunctional product in that way.
In some ways I find this sequel compares to Godfather III in how it brings the franchise down, but I also don't think this is as bad as that, as there is a bit more earnestness in Rocky V after all.

B-

Sun May 26, 2024 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]