Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery 

Grade:
A 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery 
now we know

Post Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Quote:
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery is a 2022 American murder mystery film written and directed by Rian Johnson, who co-produced it with Ram Bergman. The sequel to Knives Out (2019), Daniel Craig reprises his role as Benoit Blanc, a master detective taking on a new case. The film features a new ensemble cast consisting of Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr., Jessica Henwick, Madelyn Cline, Kate Hudson, and Dave Bautista.

Glass Onion had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2022, and had a one-week limited theatrical release on November 23, 2022, before its streaming release on December 23, by Netflix.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Loved it. Really entertaining all the way through

Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:46 am
Hold the door!

This wasn't as good as the first but it was dang close. I found the flashback sequence a bit confusing but once I was able to figure out what was going on I was in for the ride.

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:13 pm
The Kramer

Great movie. Maybe not as great as the first, but it's impossible to say quite yet since Knives Out was better for me on the second viewing. It does capture everything that was great about the first movie while avoiding just retreading the same ground. Viewers could watch these movies in any order and they'd be fine.

The twist at the end was weird at first, but I ended enjoying walking through the movie again from the viewpoints we didn't see the first time around. And that, instead of waiting around for a murder to solve, Benoit Blanc had been at work the entire time.

The one disappointment is that its pretty obvious who the "bad guy" is all along.

I'll give it an 8.7/10 for now, with potential to move up to over a 9 on second viewing the same way that Knives Out did (probably about a 9.4 for me at the moment.)

Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:10 pm
Superfreak

A+. Want a winter/Christmas setting for 3rd film.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:55 pm
Extraordinary

It's very good. I loved everything about it.

I only really knew Janelle Monáe mostly for her music but she really surprised me here. I thought it would be Craig's show here but she walks toe to toe with him throughout the movie. Enjoyed their chemistry too. She was a solid supporting actress in Hidden Figures but her performance here makes me excited to see what type of acting career she can have.

Interestingly, I took a look at her Wikipedia to see what films she's been in. When she performed on SNL in 2013, the host that week happened to be...Edward Norton! :ohmy:

Also nice to see Angela Lansbury in her final role here. Short but sweet.

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Janelle would have made an incredible catwoman had Zoe Kravitz said no.

Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:33 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really enjoyed this, the entire cast was great and it had some hilarious moments. Janelle Monae was best in show followed by Kate Hudson. B+

Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:30 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Incredibly entertaining throughout, I loved the creativity in set design and characters, only quibble for me is the payoff to the mystery didn’t feel completely satisfying, or something was missing with one too many set-up characters / red-herrings that amounted to pretty much nada. Otherwise thought this was fantastic and one of the most enjoyable movies in awhile. A-

I think the first Knives Out was tighter in terms of script / story, but I preferred this one for sheer enjoyment factor.

Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:47 pm
Superfreak

Agreed the ending is a bit weaker than the previous film, but star-studded mystery-comedy is def. top tier when done well. Craig, Monae and Norton are all great though Kate Hudson was hysterical, her timing was flawless. Also loved all the random cameras with Angela Lansbury, Kareem Abdul Jabar, Hugh Grant, Serena Williams, etc. Very impressed that this has absolutely nothing to do with the original film, either, aside from Blanc. I kept waiting for the predictable tie back to the original film and it never came.

Let's Christmas winter theme for Knives Out 3. Get Josh Harnett involved somehow too.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:45 am
Veteran

Great cast. Loved the turns and bends of the movie. Wonderful writing and direction. The ultimate villain was a bit predictable. That would be my only drawback. I was like "of course they would make him the baddie" Otherwise, I very much enjoyed the sequel. Janelle Monae and Daniel Craig were amazing.

A

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:48 pm
Superman: The Movie

A perfectly constructed film. My only minor nitpick is that the cameos might be a little too numerous and a little too cute, but I also didn't have a problem with any specific one. It kind of feels like Johnson is showing off a little, but fuck it. You've got a script this good you're allowed to show off.

A+

Fun fact: This is the first film I've paid for in a regular theater since 2019 (this managed to avoid every Regal in my area). And I'm glad I saw it on Monday because I thought it was playing until Friday. I didn't know it was only a six day run.

Worth every cent.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:08 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

A+
I think it tops the original.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:47 am
Devil's Advocate

This is pretty fun. Monae really stands out once the structure kicks in and Hudson is also hilarious/hot. I originally thought the killer reveal was "too easy" and expected a fake out, but going the other way with lol of burning the Mona Lisa was in its way more memorable than that would've been.

Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:32 am

I have been so out of the movie watching loop what with the new family life and the pandemic, I have kinda lost my feel for rating movies against one another. So I think I will rate this an A-? Maybe a a B+. It is good, it is very fun, and the characters shine. But the first had more of that it factor that made it my favorite movie of 2019. This movie feels a bit too cartoonish at times which is fine if done with the right touch, but I think it went too far in the final act, particularly with Edward Norton’s character. It also loses the appeal of Benoit that made him such a great character in the first film. In Knives Out he switched back and forth between protagonist and antagonist while you constantly question his competence. In this one he just plays to his archetype the entire time a little too straight (which too be fair was one of the motifs of this film).

Still it was just so fun and so much better than the Marvel trite I have been watching lately to not give it at least an A-.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:23 am
now we know

I thought this was excellent. Johnson has really impressed me with this series (and Looper). Superbly casted, funny in a clever way for people that are tired of the formulaic movie conventions, and it is constructed in a way that is impossible to see the twists. A very welcome delight, and I hope there is at least one more, but I wouldn't turn down this series going to five or six either.

Craig is having a lot of fun and that translates to the viewer. Norton, Hudson, and Hahn, too, are having a ton of fun, and it's just a joy to watch, particularly Norton who I haven't seen in a film since Birdman (don't remember his cameo in Alita: Battle Angel). The cameos are a welcome treat, too. Hugh Grant, Serena Williams, and Ethan Hawke were real surprises. It feels like Rian has created a pedigree where top stars vye to be part of his films in any capacity, a la the Tarantino effect.

I also feel this will pay extra dividends on repeat viewings.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Craig made an exceptional career move doing Knives Out as he knew the James Bond time was wrapping up. I can't think of Dalton, Moore and Brosnan franchises outside of Bond though Brosnon had some decent standalone films. Craig I feel like Connery can be a non-Bond movie star in his own right and jump into franchises like IJ3/Jack Ryan/Bruckheimer movies and wouldn't be shocked to see Craig start future movie franchises as well outside of Bond/Knives Out.

Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Good and entertaining, much like the first film, not quite as great, but I'd be up for another sequel.

B+

Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]