Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Hocus Pocus 2 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Hocus Pocus 2 
now we know

Post Hocus Pocus 2

Quote:
Hocus Pocus 2 is an American supernatural comedy film directed by Anne Fletcher, written by Jen D'Angelo and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. A sequel to the 1993 film Hocus Pocus, it stars Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, and Doug Jones[2] reprising their roles; Whitney Peak, Lilia Buckingham, Belissa Escobedo, Hannah Waddingham, Tony Hale, and Sam Richardson join the cast in new roles.

Filming began October 2021 in Newport, Rhode Island, with the film released on Disney+ on September 30, 2022.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Hocus Pocus 2
Review embargo is down. No reviews on RT yet but Dan Murrell really liked it

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:13 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Will admit I'm surprised it, appears, to have secured a fresh rating unless the later reviews skew heavily negative.

This will be the first movie or TV show I actually stream the same day of release... ever.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It was enjoyable but still left me wanting a bit more. I enjoyed the scenes in the 1600s. Not bad just not something that will be a Halloween classic itself.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Its a better film than the original because its not nearly as cringe, and the child actors are not so wooden and unsympathetic.

But it still feels like a feature length SNL skit with no real stakes. Its enjoyable enough but nothing I'd watch again unless someone asked to watch it with me

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:54 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I liked it well enough. Just enough callbacks to the original without going overboard, and the new stuff was passable. The broomies were cute. C+/B-

Bette Midler was good, and I feel she certainly gave it her all here. She is 76, after all. I liked the ending a lot. Actually felt a bit emotional during it! Felt like an actual goodbye considering their ages and all.

Biggest issue for me was that Sarah Jessica Parker seemed unprepared. Her acting was the worst, but worse still, she didn't portray the character well. I've always heard she never watched the original (not that unusual, many actors don't watch their own movies), but some research or... rehearsals were needed here. She was borderline out of character at points.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not horrible but forgettable. Makes sense this was straight to D+. Unfortunate since the original cast was game but the rest of the film was meh.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:54 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I really enjoyed this actually. It was a lot of fun and the main trio were all fantastic and hilarious. B+

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

It's fine. I prefer the original big time though. It didn't really have a very good story.

C+/B-

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:36 am
Hold the door!

The original has a good story lol?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:36 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Biggest movie debut ever for Disney+. I haven't seen how many hours watched though, does Disney not report this like others do?

Still annoying, as a box office observer, that it didn't go theatrical though. Would have done big numbers with how the market currently is.

Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
The original has a good story lol?

A more enjoyable one than this one.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]