Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 CODA 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

CODA 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post CODA
Quote:
CODA is a 2021 American coming-of-age comedy-drama film that follows a hearing teenage girl who is a child of deaf adults (CODA for short). Written and directed by Sian Heder, the film stars Emilia Jones as the hearing girl, with Marlee Matlin and Troy Kotsur as her culturally Deaf parents and Daniel Durant as her Deaf brother. Eugenio Derbez and Ferdia Walsh-Peelo also star in the film.

An English-language American remake of the 2014 French film La Famille Bélier, directed by Éric Lartigau, the film was filmed on location in Gloucester, Massachusetts, in the United States. Both films are similar to the 1996 German film Beyond Silence in their narrative.

CODA had its world premiere on January 28, 2021 at the 2021 Sundance Film Festival. Apple acquired distribution rights to CODA for a festival-record $25 million. The film was released in theaters and through the Apple TV+ streaming service on August 13, 2021.

Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:06 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: CODA
It's a bit by-the-numbers in terms of plot beats but this mostly works - the cast is great and the last 30 minutes are undeniably moving. Emilia Jones and Daniel Durant were the standouts of the cast for me. B+

Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:12 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Absolutely wonderful! Total crowd-pleaser. I honestly can't even think of any issues I had with it. It felt genuine and didn't manipulate in a way that made me feel queasy. Emilia Jones and Daniel Durant are excellent. I liked Ferdia Walsh-Peelo as the main character's love interest too. I haven't seen him in anything since Sing Street.

It was also funnier than I expected. I laughed out loud a few times.

Hoping this gets some love this awards season. It's a gem.

9/10 (A)

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:39 am
Hold the door!

This movie was entertaining enough, but nothing too spectacular from a narrative perspective. The actors were all great, especially the deaf family. Not much to say about it really. Just a pretty run of the mill coming of age movie

Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:05 am
Devil's Advocate

It's likeable and well directed, but would be a pretty standard indie coming of age high school movie without the deaf part. Most of the main characters in the movie are perfect, Ruby is gorgeous, talented, has a loving family, etc., same for characters like the music teacher who has no flaws at all. It all just makes it seem a little glossy, sure the potentially ruin parents business vs pursue dreams story still works, but it always feels like it will work out. Emilia Jones is great and a star in the making, and will probably go straight from this to a blockbuster role if she wants. The movie has some funny moments thanks to sign language interpretation which is probably one of its biggest strengths.

Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:44 am
Extraordinary

This was a... cute movie. This winning BP is a joke though.

Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]