Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dune (2021) 

Rate this film:
A 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Dune (2021) 
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Dune (2021)
Mr. Reynolds wrote:
yeah only complaint is that it wasn't long enough.

someone said this is Game of Thrones + Star Wars and I was worried cuz I hate star wars. Nothing like those movies other than space stuff. much closer to the quality of GoT.

Agreed, I didn't want it to end, which is pretty impressive for a 2.5 hour film. I almost wish they had pulled a Ben Hur and made it 3hrs 30min long. I mean Return of the King was 3hrs 20min.

Guarantee if this had been the entire book it would be viewed as one of the best sci fi films ever and would be a massive crowd pleaser.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:35 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'm guessing a lot of fans of the book are pleased because they are able to pick up meta information which didn't even make sense for people who didn't read the books. I feel a lot of it is lost in translation to big screen thus I don't feel it was a great adaptation. I wrote about my issues with the movie in the other thread so I'm not going to discuss them again here but overall I just felt it has content but it felt over-directed and didn't build enough relationships or characters.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:02 pm
Veteran

A masterpiece.

Denis Villeneuve has done it again. One of the best films I’ve ever seen. I will have seen it 6x by the end of this weekend.

A+

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:42 pm
The Kramer

It was so much better in the theater for the second viewing. A little ashamed I didn't wait but hey it is the world we live in.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was good and obviously visually breathtaking but as someone who hasn't read the books and wasn't familiar with the source material I found it very hard to follow. It also drags by the end, the final fight is completely unnecessary. The performances are all strong but I found Rebecca Ferguson and surprisingly Jason Momoa best in show - he was 100% more charismatic here than in the Aquaman movies for me. B

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:44 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

I was wondering how non-familiar viewers would take the main story. In the Book, the Baron lays out his entire plan in Chapter 2, including the fact that Dr Yueh is the traitor, and what follows is watching Duke Leto making all the right moves to counter the trap he walked in, but losing anyways. In the film I thought it was played as more of a Red Wedding surprise slaughter angle where anyone could die at any moment. Which I think works better for the audience they are going for, but could also be confusing.

One thing I didn't get in the first viewing was the visions Paul has of Japes, where they are friends and also have a mentor/apprentice type of relationship, similar to what he had with Jason Mamoa. Japes does end up teaching him the ways of the desert, but in a more tragic way than was predicted. I still think they should have done the 'he gives water to the dead' part though.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Mildly disappointed. The film was beautiful, epic, and occasionally exciting, but felt so incredibly incomplete. Did not feel like a satisfying movie that stands on its own, unlike other big “Part 1” movies—specifically Fellowship of the Ring, my favorite LotR movie.

I do feel I need to give it another shot before settling on an opinion/grade. I saw it in a giant theater where the volume was aggressively, distractingly, almost painfully loud. As a result, I missed a lot of dialogue (which was echoey and immediately overshadowed by any sound fx), and frequently couldn’t even hear the score (except for the yelling vocal tracks).

So, for now I’ll withhold an ‘official’ opinion, but I kind of agree with many of the criticisms. This is coming from a big fan of sci-fi generally, huge stan of Villeneuve, big fan of many of the actors, and who loved the book when I read it ~15 years ago. That said, I’m still rooting for it to be successful. Part II has potential to be amazing.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 pm
Indiana Jones IV

To be more specific: I agree with criticisms about the characters not feeling developed or that we’re given sufficient reason to feel emotionally invested. When people started dying, I was actively wishing I cared more. Usually I’m a sucker for any heart-string pulling, so the fact that I felt somewhat removed from basically every character isn’t great. Duncan Idaho and Liet Kynes (ambassador lady) were the stand outs for me.

Also I agree with those who argue this movie feels like it’s pure set-up. Technically a lot happens but none of it carries that much weight, particularly towards the last hour when you can start to feel it’s building to a big fat To Be Continued... Not a single thread felt conclusive in any way, so it’s hard to feel satisfied with the movie on its own. Hopefully Part II justifies this Part while also blowing it out of the water.

Again, I need to rewatch it, the theater was so fucking loud it was accosting.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:59 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The movie will surely be better at second viewing but as you rightly pointed the narrative is all about To Be Continued specially for non-book readers. A LOT happens but holistically nothing happens as well.

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:20 am
Veteran

Dune was the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. :-D

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:01 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

lilmac wrote:
Dune was the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. :-D

Dude you got your Star Wars, LOTR and other blockbusters mixed.

Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:39 am
Keeping it Light

Pretty disappointing, I was expecting a sci-fi epic, but man is this dull. Visually it's nice and the score is good too, but as far as the story goes it's just primitive and boring.

C+

Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:32 am
Keeping it Light

With the intend to go see Part 2, I thought I give this another watch, thinking I may have missed some things the first time and maybe like it more a second time around. But unfortunately that didn't happen, my issues with it remains, it's a grandly set up film with big visuals and this attempt at world building, but it just doesn't manage to suck me in with any of it. It moves too slowly and the stuff which does happen is not very exciting either.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I want to go and see Dune 2 but that means I have to see this one which when i last tried was a bit on the dull side so I fell asleep. Will give it another go soon.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2