Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Michael Jackson biopic - April 18, 2025 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Michael Jackson biopic - April 18, 2025
Still unsure on domestic but yes, feels like the MJ movie is going to be a global phenom. Will probably be Oppenheimer and make $1B+. It's scheduled for April 2025 but I'd honestly consider the fall. I feel like it wil play well with Thriller playing non-stop in October.

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I think you're absolutely right.

Barrabás wrote:
lilmac wrote:
To do this right (for my favorite singer/entertainer of all time) I was hoping for a better choice than Antoine Fuqua. Go with the best choice instead of narrowing the pool of directors for...reasons.

I have a theory... this movie is the biggest chance the estate has to rehabilitate MJ's image and ensure a positive continuing legacy (aka $$$ for the estate). The PR campaign will have to be very carefully navigated as the studio and the estate try to figure out how to avoid the molestation stuff. Having a respected black director could help, the media is less likely to attack him directly whereas if they'd hired David Fincher there'd be less hesitation to ask why is he helping rehabilitate the image of a likely child molester. But with a black director they can play into the narrative that MJ was incredibly important to black American culture and the director is proud to pay homage to that, the film will be more immune to criticism as a consequence. I have no doubt that is the main angle they will go for, how he helped "transcend the race barrier", first black artist on MTV, etc. I could bet $100 that will be all over the trailers and press releases and they'll make sure to touch on that in interviews. And it's obviously true. But the whole publicity campaign will be an attempt to get away from the molestation stuff. It will be fascinating to watch.

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:16 pm
The Kramer

The "Finding Neverland" guy read the script and was not impressed. He said it definitely took a Michael Was Innocent approach. No surprise there and best to get that controversy out of the way early.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:13 pm
Hold the door!

Michael was innocent lmfao.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:37 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Coming across as a puff piece covering for a pedo could sink this. Even if the film actually is that, I think marketing that makes it more ambiguous would be better, make people feel less guilty for watching it.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm
Indiana Jones IV

it’s gonna be a terrible movie, and land disasterously. OR, make me eat absolute crow and be an explosive hit, the fuck do I know. (pretty sure it’ll be a bad movie though)

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:14 pm
Indiana Jones IV

these musician biopic movies would be so much better if instead of trying to “say something” about the musician’s meaningful existence / life, they instead just let it play out honestly, showcasing the actual dramatic randomness and ambiguity of their real life story. As is, I can’t stomach any of these Bohemians Rhapsody or I Wanna Dance With Somebodies or One Loves.

And Bad: The Michael Jackson Story* is going to be the most cringe and try-hard of them all, I think. It’s going to be completely missing or obscuring the mythos and mystery (and pathos) that made MJ such an iconic figure (it ain’t just the music).

*for real though, SO many potential hilarious names for this based on his songs—

Bad
Dangerous
Thriller
Beat It
Scream
Off the Wall
Smooth Criminal LoL!!
Heal the World

Any and all options are insanely awfully painful and ridiculous. can’t wait

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:37 pm
The Kramer

I think many people would just rather believe Michael Jackson wasn't a pedo despite all the evidence to the contrary. This is gonna open huge like $80M with a 35-45% on rottentomatoes. :funny:

Domingo is gonna be an oscar contender for Sing Sing during the promotional run for this film though. I think that will be affected by the controversy before the box office will be,

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:40 pm
Indiana Jones IV

my real vote for the title (or does it have an official title already?) would be simply

Michael

OR

The Michael Jackson Movie

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:41 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

'Thriller' would be an awesome title for a film that focuses on his downward spiral from the erratic behaviour, isolation, plastic surgery, the accusations and trial and that "lets the viewer decide" if he was a pedo or not

Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:21 am
The Kramer

Steve wrote:
my real vote for the title (or does it have an official title already?) would be simply

Michael

OR

The Michael Jackson Movie
It's definitely just gonna be Michael. They fan save Thriller for a movie that is specifically about the music video.

Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:30 am
Devil's Advocate

Someone will make a good MJ movie one day but I don't think the time is right now, between the knives out cultural environment and the recent biopic tropes that they'll probably fall into.

Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:39 pm
Superfreak

Like Whitney Houston movie, it just feels way too soon, unlike Elvis and Freddie Mercury movies

Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2