Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Barbenheimer INTL 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Barbenheimer INTL
Barbie barely dropped overseas as well with $31.9M (vs Mon $32M). $258.5M overseas for $472.6M worldwide.

Just adding in additional grosses for domestic, Barbie could be at $858.6M ($600M gross). This feels like it could make a run for $1.5B!

Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

China Dailies so far:

Fri: $1.2M
Sat: $2.8M +133%
Sun: $4.1M +46%
Mon: $2.9 M -29%
Tues: $2.7M -6.9%
Wed: $2.4M -11.1%
Thur: $2.0M -16.7%

$18.1M first week total. It's losing 13K screenings on Friday but wom has already given it a great run so far.

Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

OS weekdays are just crazy.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/barbie-opp ... 235448805/

Quote:
Barbenheimer is the gift that keeps on giving. The Kenergy is so high on Warner Bros’ Barbie that it spiked by 3% at the international box office on Wednesday versus Tuesday and added $32.7M in 69 markets. That brings the global running cume on the Greta Gerwig pic to a fantastic $528.6M, including $291.4M from overseas. This is all after only one week of release.

Meanwhile, also continuing incredible holds, Universal’s Oppenheimer added another $16M from 78 international box office markets, again a less than 1% dip from the previous day. The offshore cume is $147.2M through Wednesday. Combined with domestic, the global total is $265.1M with the $300M benchmark expected to be achieved with Friday grosses.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:52 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Global cultural phenomenon

I should've bought Mattel stock earlier this year

Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:21 am
Extraordinary

Barbie made $2.9M in China (+3.6% vs last week) from 23K screenings. Total now at $22.9M.

Getting 4K more screenings on Sunday and already has $800K in prescales.

Could be at $27.5M by the end of the weekend. That's off of the original $1.2M opening day so let's see where this ends up.

Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pretty surprised how well it's doing in China. I guess the Avengers with Shang Chi will be fine if Simu Liu content isn't banned?

Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:00 pm
now we know

It's pretty sad how pathetic the China market is now that we're excited when a film does $18 million in a whole week.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Oppenheimer made $72.4M overseas. Estimated international total stands at $226.3M, estimated global total stands at $400.4M.

Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:47 am
Profile WWW

Oppenheimer OS hold is simply nuts. Dont forget OW had extra days for some markets. So Actual drop is < 20%. its fueled by increases in several markets !!! Its going to beat Interstellar WW and has a reasonable chance to beat Inception WW !!!

I used to be shawman.

Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:55 pm
The Dark Knight

Will depend whether East Asia is here for it.

Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:59 pm

Korea Presales are off to a strong start and its opening on 8/15. As Charliet put it break out in India means Korea/China should follow suit. Let us see how things go.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:34 pm
now we know

Can you really imagine China allowing a film about U.S. military superiority to succeed within China? I haven't seen it, but unless it paints the U.S. in a bad light I cannot imagine them allowing it to be released and not hampered in some way where they can have deniability over its performance. Even if the film is anti-U.S. (and I doubt it is) on the outside it's about the U.S. beating others to make the most powerful explosive in the world ... and that's not something China would want to proliferate.

Not only that but China's economy right now is in recession. GDP has been falling from months, so people are saving instead of spending on leisure. Just like Barbie, it won't make much.

On Maoyan it has 135k people wanting to see it. It opens on 30th August. The Meg 2 - a film much more up China's alley - opens on 4th August and has 640k people wanting to see it. So these numbers aren't too bad for Oppenheimer in that context, although at the box office/economic peaks the "people wanting to see numbers" on Maoyan were way higher, in the 800k to 2 million range for big movies, so I don't see Oppenheimer doing enough in China to affect its worldwide total much.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:15 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Why wouldn’t they release it, they might learn a few things. Otherwise I don’t know why the hell it would get released. It’s my experience being vague can actually produce new weird results. Maybes they missed something so small in the foundation.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:20 pm
now we know

They will release it. It already has a date; 30th August. But it will probably be killed by the CCP or State Administration of Film, Radio, and TV or whoever manages these things with such measures as limited advertising, limited showtimes, being pulled from release early regardless of performance, and other such sneaky measures they employ to fulfil political objectives.

Let's see. I could be wrong and it blows up, but I don't think you're going to see a huge breakout here.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:32 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Algren wrote:
Can you really imagine China allowing a film about U.S. military superiority to succeed within China? I haven't seen it, but unless it paints the U.S. in a bad light I cannot imagine them allowing it to be released and not hampered in some way where they can have deniability over its performance. Even if the film is anti-U.S. (and I doubt it is) on the outside it's about the U.S. beating others to make the most powerful explosive in the world ... and that's not something China would want to proliferate.

Not only that but China's economy right now is in recession. GDP has been falling from months, so people are saving instead of spending on leisure. Just like Barbie, it won't make much.

On Maoyan it has 135k people wanting to see it. It opens on 30th August. The Meg 2 - a film much more up China's alley - opens on 4th August and has 640k people wanting to see it. So these numbers aren't too bad for Oppenheimer in that context, although at the box office/economic peaks the "people wanting to see numbers" on Maoyan were way higher, in the 800k to 2 million range for big movies, so I don't see Oppenheimer doing enough in China to affect its worldwide total much.

But wouldn't they want to see a movie about how badly Japan got blown up in WW2?

Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:03 pm
now we know

Barrabás wrote:
But wouldn't they want to see a movie about how badly Japan got blown up in WW2?

Oh, they'd love that. As I said, I haven't seen it yet. If it features Japan getting nuked then maybe it will have an unfettered release. It's just that at the moment the U.S.A. is public enemy #1. I think they hate the U.S.A. more than they hate Japan right now, even though Japan is a historical hatred.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The impact on Hiroshima / Nagasaki is never shown directly in the film, although there some allusions to it and some dystopian scenes hyping up the result.

Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:47 am

Barbenheimer are continuing move at great pace.

Quote:
Barbie’ Tops $900M WW, ‘Oppenheimer’ Nears $500M
she heads into the third weekend of release, Warner Bros’ Barbie has hit two new milestones, crossing both $500M at the international box office and the nine-century mark worldwide. The Greta Gerwig-directed phenomenon added $16.8M from 69 offshore markets on Thursday, bringing the overseas total to $509.7M through yesterday. Globally, the doll is standing tall with $916.1M as she looks to rollerblade past $1B this weekend.

The Top 5 markets to date for the Margot Robbie-starrer are the UK ($77.3M), Mexico ($45.8M), Brazil ($36.5M), Australia ($34.3M) and China ($29.5M).

Christopher Nolan’s epic Oppenheimer is, meanwhile, on its way across the $500M mark globally with $478.8M through Thursday. Yesterday’s offshore gross was $10.6M, lifting the international box office cume to $278.9M.

In the UK, the through-Thursday total on the Universal film is $43.1M, in line with Dunkirk. Germany is next best with a running cume of $23M, performing 15% above The Dark Knight Rises and surpassing the lifetime of The Dark Knight, having already overtaken the lifetimes of Dunkirk, Interstellar and Tenet. France has a market cume to date of $21M, which is 11% above The Dark Knight Rises and has surpassed the full run of The Dark Knight. Australia is now at $15.3M, 58% above Dunkirk, having surpassed the lifetimes of Interstellar and Tenet. India has a running total of $14.7M, having already surpassed the lifetimes of all Nolan comps. The title is the 2nd biggest Hollywood movie of the year behind Fast X in that market.

Other notable cumes include Mexico at $12.6M; Spain with $12.1M andperforming above The Dark Knight Rises (+35%), having passed the lifetimes of Dunkirk, Interstellar and Tenet; Saudi Arabia at $9.3M which is bigger than the lifetime of all Nolan comps; and Netherlands where Oppenheimer has become Nolan’s biggest film ever, with $9.2M so far.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/barbie-opp ... 235455131/

Just from existing markets I see Barbie doing 750m+ and Oppenheimer 450m+. Oppenheimer has uber strong presales in Korea where it could potentially pull in a Interstellar(10m+ admits and $70m+ gross) and has Italy and China coming up as well. I see 900m+ and high end depends on China. Barbie has Japan which is a huge question mark and also middle eastern markets end of this month. I am hoping for 800m+ and hopefully WW gross around 1.5B.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:45 pm
Extraordinary

The fact Barbie could be pulled from every theater overseas today but still go on to gross $1.1 billion is just insane.

Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:22 pm
100% That Bitch

Oppie reaching $800mil WW will be the story of the year. Imagine if it somehow it reaches a billion WW?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think Oppenheimer will have a bigger impact on the industry just because studios have already been dumb for years forgetting that half the audience is women and could continue to be. Oppenheimer could open up a whole new “pure drama” path.

Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Quote:
Overall, it was a weekend of global box office milestones as “Barbie” crossed the coveted $1 billion mark and “Oppenheimer” glided past $500 million.

Greta Gerwig’s fantasy-comedy “Barbie” joined the billion-dollar club after just 17 days on the big screen. It’s the fastest Warner Bros. release (and eighth in the studio’s 100-year history) to surpass $1 billion, besting the 19 days it took “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.” This also makes Gerwig the first-ever solo female filmmaker with a billion-dollar film.

“Barbie” collected $74 million over the weekend, bringing its international total to a sizable $572 million. The biggest international markets are the U.K. and Ireland ($87.9 million), Mexico ($48.9 million), Australia ($41.1 million) and Brazil ($39.5 million).

Christopher Nolan’s dark historical drama “Oppenheimer,” also in its third weekend of release, has hit $552.9 million worldwide. Imax has accounted for a remarkable $114.2 million (22%) of the film’s worldwide total.

The R-rated movie, which stars Cillian Murphy as the scientist who led development on the atomic bomb that helped to end the second world war, added $52 million from 78 foreign territories over the weekend for an overseas total of $324 million.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-offic ... 235688938/

Insane hold especially from Oppenheimer.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:40 am

http://twitter.com/BORReport/status/168 ... 78496?s=20

Oppenheimer OS increased to 55.6m and 327.2m hold. it increased quite a bit from already crazy hold. :whaa:

I used to be shawman.

Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:09 pm
Extraordinary

Oppenheimer looks like it could get $325M so even if it doesn't make anything else overseas would be at $652.2M. Really hoping it can somehow get to $1B but will definitely be a push. Oscar release would be fun just in case!

Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:15 pm
Profile WWW

There are many markets where Oppenheimer 3rd weekend is actually ahead of its OW !!! It still has a long runway in leggy markets and is even doing well in latin america which used to be weak for Nolan movies. I think 500m in existing markets will happen. It should be similar to Spain and I am hoping for $20m gross. Greece and Bosnia should combine to about $5m. Korea Presales are off the chart. Interstellar sold 10m+ admits and ATP for Oppenheimer seem very high. It could potential end up as biggest market for Oppenheimer if the WOM is similar to other markets. China has been weak for hollywood and so I am not sure what to pencil in and I believe it will ultimately release in Japan as well( they are not known to ban movies). Just strong Imax run in big cities should add $10m. So its overall OS potential depends on Korea/China gross. Korea we will know next week and China is another 2 weeks beyond that.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next