Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Little Mermaid > BATB OW of $174m *CLUB* 
Romosexual!

Post Re: The Little Mermaid > BATB OW of $174m *CLUB*
That new trailer guarantees this club will be successful :D join now before it’s too late

Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:38 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Algren wrote:
Corpse wrote:
I can understand if a company is pushing obvious messaging and ideas, etc., in their movies, but simply having gay characters (or any other minority) exist in them is a problem the viewer has themselves, not Disney or any other company. There's not even any real plot that revolve around the sexuality of the characters in these movies. Strange World is the closest and it's literally a dude expressing he has a crush on another dude and nothing more.

I see your point, but the thing is that people go to the cinema for escapism. So the people that are annoyed by the woke agenda being foisted upon them in everyday life don't want to see that in movies as well. I totally understand both sides, but the customer is always right, so I'm afraid Disney or any other company is at fault here. The box office results and general reputation of Lightyear, Bros, and Strange World confirm it.

This is where the woke agenda becomes like a cult, because for centuries it has always been supply and demand. If there's demand, we will supply it. But when a "woke" movie doesn't do well, the demand part of that equation is irrelevant to these cultists. It's as if pushing wokeness down people's throats cannot be questioned. It is seen as as important as eating, and it's just not. If people don't demand it en masse, it doesn't make business sense to keep supplying it. Whether certain individuals like the world the way it is or not, that's just how it is. Huge chunks of U.S. society don't want this woke stuff in their entertainment. And for the people that do want it, if they aren't as committed to their cause to all buy twice as many tickets, the woke trend will peter out due to lower revenue than normal entertainment.

Having gay characters is not woke, it is acknowledging reality. We exist regardless of if movies want to acknowledge our existence or not. If certain people don't want to watch something just because it has a gay character in the background then they're piece of shit homophobes and I hope they never reproduce.

Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Movies have always represented their political times going back to Birth of a Nation, and this happens to very stupid times with people being obsessed with grouping people by the most shallow attributes you can pick (skin color/gender), so we deserve what we get.

I think the trailer was pretty good. I like the Halle Bailey casting. I think some of the would be detractors will find her sexy which will alleviate some of their disappointment they didn't cast a nice looking redhead.

Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:59 pm
now we know

Barrabás wrote:
Algren wrote:
Corpse wrote:
I can understand if a company is pushing obvious messaging and ideas, etc., in their movies, but simply having gay characters (or any other minority) exist in them is a problem the viewer has themselves, not Disney or any other company. There's not even any real plot that revolve around the sexuality of the characters in these movies. Strange World is the closest and it's literally a dude expressing he has a crush on another dude and nothing more.

I see your point, but the thing is that people go to the cinema for escapism. So the people that are annoyed by the woke agenda being foisted upon them in everyday life don't want to see that in movies as well. I totally understand both sides, but the customer is always right, so I'm afraid Disney or any other company is at fault here. The box office results and general reputation of Lightyear, Bros, and Strange World confirm it.

This is where the woke agenda becomes like a cult, because for centuries it has always been supply and demand. If there's demand, we will supply it. But when a "woke" movie doesn't do well, the demand part of that equation is irrelevant to these cultists. It's as if pushing wokeness down people's throats cannot be questioned. It is seen as as important as eating, and it's just not. If people don't demand it en masse, it doesn't make business sense to keep supplying it. Whether certain individuals like the world the way it is or not, that's just how it is. Huge chunks of U.S. society don't want this woke stuff in their entertainment. And for the people that do want it, if they aren't as committed to their cause to all buy twice as many tickets, the woke trend will peter out due to lower revenue than normal entertainment.

Having gay characters is not woke, it is acknowledging reality. We exist regardless of if movies want to acknowledge our existence or not.

That may be true, but as I already said ... people do not want reality when they attend the cinema. To a vast majority of people, woke elements of real life have nothing to do with them. They cannot and don't want to relate to that.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm now feeling better about The Little Mermaid than I was a few months ago.

Even with the trolls, it's been very much like teflon and I think lowered expectations plays in this film's favor when the film turns out to be better than everyone expects.

Guardians is the only movie appealing to kids after Mario over a 7 week period. I think the June family competition is intense week 2 on but feel it could pull a great 4 day to give it enough momentum for a respectable total.

Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Halle looks fine as The Little Mermaid. She has a cartoony cute face which frankly makes her perfect for it. The bigger issue may be the film itself. The trailer didn’t look all that great IMO so I’d be happy with $250m for it.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:07 am
The Dark Knight

Trailer looked pretty boring imo. Won't be watching this. I'm not a fan of these remakes anyway.

Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:17 pm
Romosexual!

MadGez wrote:
Halle looks fine as The Little Mermaid. She has a cartoony cute face which frankly makes her perfect for it. The bigger issue may be the film itself. The trailer didn’t look all that great IMO so I’d be happy with $250m for it.

YES! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:59 pm
now we know

This is the thing with liberal media. When something they like isn't doing well, it's not simply "not performing", it's "review bombing out of control". The trailer is disliked by many, so maybe just maybe it isn't liked by people. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that could never be the reason. It must be a concerted effort to pull the film down.

Just an example that the left has its loony conspiracy theorists as well. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

To be fair, the types of movies that get review bombed are always the type that replace whites with blacks, replace men with women, replace straights with gays, etc...

The toxicity towards the likes Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, The Last Jedi, Captain Marvel and The Last of Us 2 was real and quite pathetic.

The toxicity towards Little Mermaid and Rings of Power is made up, but it was only a matter of time till these mega corporations started using it for their advantage.

Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:48 pm
now we know

But "review bombed" suggests that people are manufacturing hate towards a certain film. As if the real dislike is actually 10% of what's actually happening. But did anyone ever think that maybe many people just really dislike these major and unneccesary race/gender changes? It's a legit concern for many. The backlash seems in line with how many people feel. Nothing false or untoward about it, imo.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not really TLM related but sort of.

It was announced that Questlove will be directing a Disney re-imagining of the Aristocrats. That sounds like a fresh approach for some of these re-imaginings and I'm very excited to see his version of it which of course will have some awesome music.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/aris ... 235565554/

Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Feeling like this isn’t catching on and people are tired of remakes.

250mish total at this point, a big comedown from Aladdin/Lion King and more on par with Maleficent/Oz the Great and Powerful

Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:41 am
Romosexual!

O wrote:
Not really TLM related but sort of.

It was announced that Questlove will be directing a Disney re-imagining of the Aristocrats. That sounds like a fresh approach for some of these re-imaginings and I'm very excited to see his version of it which of course will have some awesome music.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/aris ... 235565554/

Yup! Fresh take & great music I’m sure :D

Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:28 pm
Extraordinary

I think if all of Disney's films underperform this year the #1 reason is Disney+. Waiting for movies to show up there is not hard, especially if its something you're not anticipating that much. This is all their fault lolol

Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:52 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

zwackerm wrote:
Feeling like this isn’t catching on and people are tired of remakes.

250mish total at this point, a big comedown from Aladdin/Lion King and more on par with Maleficent/Oz the Great and Powerful

I think it's heading to about $250m too. I don't think most people have a problem with Halle in the roll (I think she's fine for it personally) but audiences are tiring of these remakes and the Disney + factor that others have mentioned plays a part.

In addition to this - the trailer has no real WOW factor. The underwater scenes aren't all that.

Considering the past 3 years of Disney - $250-$275m would be quite the success.

Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:04 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I think if all of Disney's films underperform this year the #1 reason is Disney+. Waiting for movies to show up there is not hard, especially if its something you're not anticipating that much. This is all their fault lolol

Yes 100%

Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:04 pm
Extraordinary

The Little Mermaid does now have a huge advantage, it's going to the big follow up family focused film to Mario. Mario has essentially supercharged families to come back to theaters and as the next big family film opening 7 weeks later it actually is a big advantage for The Little Mermaid's prospects now.

A rising tide lifts all boats. I'm feeling better and better about Mermaid's prospects now, especially as it has first mover advantage from the June onslaught of family films.

Spiderverse is going to be a major zeitgeist event film though so still think its going to outpace Mermaid.

Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think the hype will build weeks before release. I feel like Aladdin domestic #s should happen if it's at least decent. But ya, this seems like something a lot of people will wait to just watch it for free.

Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:19 am
Hold the door!

Releasing similar Peter Pan and Wendy for free less than a month before is a terrible idea. Will just reinforce that audiences shouldn’t have to pay for films like this

Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:51 am
Romosexual!

MadGez wrote:
publicenemy#1 wrote:

Yes 100%

agree but going forward Iger will correct it.

Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:47 am
Romosexual!

Looks like I’ll be the only member in this club :twisted: goood!

Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:39 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This will open 250 for no reason

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:33 pm
Hold the door!

At this point, this has a better chance to miss 100m than hit 175m

Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:09 pm
Quality is a great business plan

I think its domestic is likely to finish closer to 174m than OW. Disney outside MCU has struggled in COVID era and even MCU looks to be struggling(wait till Guardians open).

I used to be shawman.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next