Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Little Mermaid > BATB OW of $174m *CLUB* 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: The Little Mermaid > BATB OW of $174m *CLUB*
The "definition" of Woke has lost its meaning if Lightyear and Strange World are considered as such...

They simply feature gay characters. The lead in Strange World expresses interest in another guy for maybe a minute in total of the movie?

I can understand if a company is pushing obvious messaging and ideas, etc., in their movies, but simply having gay characters (or any other minority) exist in them is a problem the viewer has themselves, not Disney or any other company. There's not even any real plot that revolve around the sexuality of the characters in these movies. Strange World is the closest and it's literally a dude expressing he has a crush on another dude and nothing more.

It's very unusual, abnormal, to get upset simply seeing people.

Makes me wonder how a movie like Mrs. Doubtfire, Boys Don't Cry, Edge of Seventeen, or the loads of other older movies would be perceived if released today. People would be crying "Woke", I presume. Probably even for movies or shows released not so long ago like Orange is the New Black too.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

90% of Lightyear's failing was not keeping the original star. It would be the equivalent of if they didn't include Tom Cruise in TGM and just put in Miles Teller as the main star. Good luck making $150M+. You can't replace an actor who's been in a role for 30 years and not expect pushback.

Strange Planet looked like a Treasure Planet 2. There was no scenario I could see that succeeding. Looked like a flop from a mile away. Sci fi animated movies also have a notoriously bad history of flopping with Wall-E and a few others the rare exception.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Making Little Mermaid and Tinkerbell black feels like a corporate decision, it's a way to market the movie to race and gender obsessed teenagers on social media. This is ultimately the problem more than the race swapping itself, that these IP movies are safe artificial meat. If POTC came out now it would have race and LGBT stuff, but the real problem would be 50 other subtle decisions that correlate with it like making Will and Elizabeth look 14, Jack being a clear heroic guy and not a rum drinker who gets slapped by women, a boilerplate score, and the whole thing being filmed on green screen and looking it.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:39 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Making Little Mermaid and Tinkerbell black feels like a corporate decision, it's a way to market the movie to race and gender obsessed teenagers on social media. This is ultimately the problem more than the race swapping itself, that these IP movies are safe artificial meat.
Yes, this (...mostly.) Disney is pandering to this generation, not indoctrinating them. They're not casting black actors to push an agenda, they're doing it because Black Panther made 1.5 billion dollars.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:14 pm
The Dark Knight

The people who hate on the Little Mermaid being black were not going to go see a Disney movie regardless. It might have a negative impact on the OS gross, but as far as DOM goes I'm doubtful.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:42 pm
Hold the door!

Disney has a fan base that will see things like this regardless and then complain about how bad it is. Just like every Disney project nowadays

Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:46 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I don’t know, I’d prefer to skip it and still complain.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:33 pm
now we know

Thegun wrote:
I don’t know, I’d prefer to skip it and still complain.

Yep. And that makes up, like, 50% of America these days. So the "complaining but loyal Disney fan base" stand point doesn't hold water, imo.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Out

Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
... where the hell is the trailer for this

It’ll probably be dropped Oscar night :D

Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:09 pm
Romosexual!

Cynosure wrote:
The people who hate on the Little Mermaid being black were not going to go see a Disney movie regardless. It might have a negative impact on the OS gross, but as far as DOM goes I'm doubtful.

and half will probably go see it anyways :roll: they love making ridiculous noise

Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Shack wrote:
Making Little Mermaid and Tinkerbell black feels like a corporate decision, it's a way to market the movie to race and gender obsessed teenagers on social media. This is ultimately the problem more than the race swapping itself, that these IP movies are safe artificial meat.
Yes, this (...mostly.) Disney is pandering to this generation, not indoctrinating them. They're not casting black actors to push an agenda, they're doing it because Black Panther made 1.5 billion dollars.

The irony is that Black Panther's success among the black community was precisely because it wasn't pandering, and he is/was a fully realized superhero with African roots in a fully realized universe.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:32 pm
Hold the door!

Black Panther also only made 1.2 billion lol. And lots of entirely white casts have made more haha. So while black characters adds a certain appeal, it’s not the most lucrative type.

Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:34 pm
Romosexual!

zwackerm wrote:
Black Panther also only made 1.2 billion lol.

as if $1.2 billion is soo easy to get #facepalm

zwackerm wrote:
And lots of entirely white casts have made more haha. So while black characters adds a certain appeal, it’s not the most lucrative type.

Only 5 MCU films have made more than Black Panther's $1.34 billion WW.
1- Endgame
2- Infinity War
3- The Way Home
4- The Avengers
5- Age of Ultron

5 out of 31 films :roll: I say that's very lucrative

Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:16 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

It is lucrative. It's easy to forget it beat Infinity War in the same year. Domestically

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:59 pm
Romosexual!

MadGez wrote:
It is lucrative. It's easy to forget it beat Infinity War in the same year. Domestically

That was huge!

Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:09 pm
now we know

Corpse wrote:
I can understand if a company is pushing obvious messaging and ideas, etc., in their movies, but simply having gay characters (or any other minority) exist in them is a problem the viewer has themselves, not Disney or any other company. There's not even any real plot that revolve around the sexuality of the characters in these movies. Strange World is the closest and it's literally a dude expressing he has a crush on another dude and nothing more.

I see your point, but the thing is that people go to the cinema for escapism. So the people that are annoyed by the woke agenda being foisted upon them in everyday life don't want to see that in movies as well. I totally understand both sides, but the customer is always right, so I'm afraid Disney or any other company is at fault here. The box office results and general reputation of Lightyear, Bros, and Strange World confirm it.

This is where the woke agenda becomes like a cult, because for centuries it has always been supply and demand. If there's demand, we will supply it. But when a "woke" movie doesn't do well, the demand part of that equation is irrelevant to these cultists. It's as if pushing wokeness down people's throats cannot be questioned. It is seen as as important as eating, and it's just not. If people don't demand it en masse, it doesn't make business sense to keep supplying it. Whether certain individuals like the world the way it is or not, that's just how it is. Huge chunks of U.S. society don't want this woke stuff in their entertainment. And for the people that do want it, if they aren't as committed to their cause to all buy twice as many tickets, the woke trend will peter out due to lower revenue than normal entertainment.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

... anyways, trailer coming on Sunday finally

Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:34 pm
Hold the door!

Nice poster as well!

Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:36 pm
now we know

Excellent poster, indeed. But it does look quite serious and epic rather than Disneyfied.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

New trailer has great version of Part of Your World.

Some of the water visual effects look unfinished but other than that it looks about as good as could have been expected considering the quality of their previous remakes

Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:17 am
Quality is a great business plan

I am not impressed. Looks like it will under perform relative to crazy expectations.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:48 am
Hold the door!

After the trailer, I am feeling about 140m and 175 5 day

Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:48 am
Extraordinary

The trailer was fine for the most part. Enough for me to think this will do very well still.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:50 am
Wall-E

Corpse wrote:
The "definition" of Woke has lost its meaning if Lightyear and Strange World are considered as such...

They simply feature gay characters. The lead in Strange World expresses interest in another guy for maybe a minute in total of the movie?

It's very unusual, abnormal, to get upset simply seeing people.

Makes me wonder how a movie like Mrs. Doubtfire, Boys Don't Cry, Edge of Seventeen, or the loads of other older movies would be perceived if released today. People would be crying "Woke", I presume. Probably even for movies or shows released not so long ago like Orange is the New Black too.

So much this lol you could cut that 1 minute long interaction for the MC in SW and the film would be literally THE SAME THING. Like jesus christ if people are offended by that I really have to wonder how they make it through one day.

Politics have grown so divided and hateful in recent years it's an absolute joke. There is no nuance or thought involved anymore. Either you are on one side and you have to love everything or you are on the other and you have to hate everything. It's INSANE.

Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next