Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 smile previews 
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: smile previews
Shack wrote:
I stand by a gay Apatow style comedy being a good idea with potential to Bridesmaids, but it never overcame lack of star power in part due to lack of options (Who’s the most famous gay male comedy actor, NPH?) and self imposed by refusing to cover it up with straight actor cameos. You could tell from the trailer it wasn’t hitting.

The main issue is that Hollywood itself is still very homophobic behind closed doors. Actors who come out are not allowed to progress to being a bankable star, and the ones that have reached that level are told to stay in the closet if they want to keep being there. Richard Madden is the latest example. He would not have received the Eternals lead role if he had come out. Even though he walks around with his 23 year old boyfriend Froy Gutierrez everywhere but the tabloids don't dare mention they are in a relationship either. It's extremely taboo, controlled from top down across the whole media industry.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:57 am
now we know

How would Will & Grace get made if Hollywood was "very homophobic" behind closed doors? How would Brokeback Mountain get nominated for Best Picture? How would Moonlight win Best Picture? How would Bros be green-lit?

I think the issue with some gay people (certainly not all) is that when something doesn't go their way, they pull the gay equivalent of black people's race card. Do you seriously expect every gay actor to become a bankable star? It's a small pool to source from, so naturally gay stars will be less. But the gay community still has its stars. Ian McKellen has had a long and successful career. So has Ellen Degeneres. George Takei, too. I do not believe they would have if Hollywood was secretly Saudi Arabia. And you still need to be talented and/or likeable, which let's be honest, Richard Madden was never going to be the next Brad Pitt. He's very average-looking chiseled face type, like the gay version of Simon Baker (surprise, he's also not a bankable star!).

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
Shack wrote:
I stand by a gay Apatow style comedy being a good idea with potential to Bridesmaids, but it never overcame lack of star power in part due to lack of options (Who’s the most famous gay male comedy actor, NPH?) and self imposed by refusing to cover it up with straight actor cameos. You could tell from the trailer it wasn’t hitting.

The main issue is that Hollywood itself is still very homophobic behind closed doors. Actors who come out are not allowed to progress to being a bankable star, and the ones that have reached that level are told to stay in the closet if they want to keep being there. Richard Madden is the latest example. He would not have received the Eternals lead role if he had come out. Even though he walks around with his 23 year old boyfriend Froy Gutierrez everywhere but the tabloids don't dare mention they are in a relationship either. It's extremely taboo, controlled from top down across the whole media industry.

I can see how Madden would be afraid to make it official as his career prospects revolve around masculine action roles. You can see them afraid to cast a gay guy as James Bond even if they won't admit it. That it's an open secret in itself might end up costing him. I don't know if it's homophobia as much as it is just business, the audience is going to believe the movie less and be distracted by it if a actor they know is gay is banging a Bond girl looking type.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:52 am
Superfreak

Corpse wrote:
Excel wrote:
Is there any real doubt that deep down, a small but real amount of the far left and far righters LOVE the struggle? They're addicted to it, it is deeply embedded part of their identity.

"I am a fighter!!!!!!"

What does this have to do with the topic here?

Algren said something without having experience or knowledge of himself (the "I half wonder"), to which Barrabas responded to as someone with the experience or knowledge, and Algren understood the point or position made thereafter. And Algren has since asked for those in the community to shed light on his questions that he doesn't have experience or knowledge to answer himself. That has been an ideal sort of exchange. (And quite refreshing!)

Gay people aren't extreme individuals, as in "far left" or "far right." They have had more things, rights, to fight for than many, most of which (marriage, work place discrimination, etc.) only being won very recently (not even 10 years in America), but that certainly doesn't make them (us) extreme, good grief. The Women's Suffrage movement was considered progressive at the time (and for about 100 years beforehand!), so think about how ridiculous that was when it was considered "extreme" for so many decades.

And what you see on the TV doesn't reflect the entire community, just as any other group that's lumped into a category doesn't reflect the entire community.

As for this movie, it's sort of a 50/50 situation for me. I see it as both "too much" and "not enough" (in a sense that it has to... exist, if that make any sense), I guess. Ideally, it'd be great to just see gay people (like me) in any random TV show or movie once in a while without it being like "Look! Gay representation!" when they do. It doesn't have to be every TV show or movie. It's kinda like how stores go all out during Pride Month with gay-themed merchandise and advertising. Like... it's "appreciative" (even if it's largely to make profit, but hey, that's America), but instead of piling all of that into one month, can it be sprinkled or spread out all year or something to where it's just... normal or unnecessary?

But back to movies (or TV shows), some people get upset if there's a gay couple or something "gay" in a movie if it's not an announced gay movie or carries some warning (...). It gets turned into a political move or agenda thing most of the time. A gay person or couple just being in a movie or TV show doesn't mean it's pushing some agenda... Can studios go "overboard" sometimes? Yeah, certainly.

So it's, unfortunately, still sort of (unnecessarily) complicated. I guess there's always, at least for now, going to be some group that gets offended with "gay" one way or another. Hopefully in years to come, gay people on the screen of some random movie isn't even thought of and is just as normal as an interracial couple on screen today (which was controversial and offensive to some not *that* long ago).

Basically in support of algrens post - to a point. There is absolutely a crowd out that basically goes "LGBTQ in mainstream? Better go support it!"

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:43 am
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Barrabás wrote:
Shack wrote:

I can see how Madden would be afraid to make it official as his career prospects revolve around masculine action roles. You can see them afraid to cast a gay guy as James Bond even if they won't admit it. That it's an open secret in itself might end up costing him. I don't know if it's homophobia as much as it is just business, the audience is going to believe the movie less and be distracted by it if a actor they know is gay is banging a Bond girl looking type.

Richard Madden is gay?

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:44 am
now we know

Estimates are trickling in

Smile - $22 million

Highest-grossing opener in 8 weeks (since Bullet Train).

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:12 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Top Gun: Maverick $1,230,112 -24% $713,457,000

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:18 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

That's great for Smile. Legs are looking promising too.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:52 am
now we know

Don’t Worry, Darling $7,300,000 -62% $32,804,643
The Woman King $7,000,000 -36% $46,713,156
Bullet Train $2,400,000 +32% $102,333,720
Avatar $4,696,000 -55% $779,100,388
Barbarian $2,817,000 -42% $33,107,280

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

$22M off an $8M "opening" day? That's very impressive. I figured it would come in the $19-20M range like TWK and DWD. Should clear $65M even with Halloween Ends and Prey For The Devil on the horizon.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:30 am
now we know

Bros - $4.8 million

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Excel wrote:
Basically in support of algrens post - to a point. There is absolutely a crowd out that basically goes "LGBTQ in mainstream? Better go support it!"

I mean... sure. There are also many different crowds going to support many different things to help support it/them. That's not a "far right" or "far left" idea itself until people twist it and perceive it as something extreme to achieve some personal gains from it.

Algren's post was asking how he wondered if gay people may like to struggle, like to be a focal point of equality fights, etc. (We most certainly don't, at least the vast majority. We just want to live normal lives that everyone else can.) He later said he wouldn't know because he doesn't know gay life, thus lacking the experience/knowledge to know or speak of the subject. And then asked for those in the know to explain and elaborate. He was willing to listen versus trying to dispute whatever was said.

This is an excellent position, one that far too few actually take. They just assume that their perceived knowledge or opinion of something holds weight or is true despite when someone with the experience says otherwise. Now, the person with the experience can often get too confrontational and throw out insults and get offended, and not really take the time to explain why the opinion, idea, whatever, is incorrect. Barrabas was the first to respond to Algren here and didn't take that approach, thankfully, and handled it by explaining from his own experiences.

As for Richard Madden, his sexuality is unknown, which is his right to privacy. He's been linked to both men and women but hasn't said why. And he doesn't have to. And no one should care enough where it determines what roles he's cast in by movie studios, or by the public because they feel they have the right to know. Far too many people care who another has in their bed.

I recall having discussions with people being surprised when they find out Luke Evans is gay. And afterward, I haven't really heard (or read) anyone second-guessing some of the more "masculine" or action-heavy roles he's had. (And guys, in case you need to hear it, "gay" doesn't mean "feminine". I've had many straight friends more "feminine" than myself.) He's been out for some time (well before his career took off with roles in The Hobbit, Beauty and the Beast, etc.), but mostly keeps his private life, well, private. Being private doesn't mean "hiding." He's stated he left home at 16 and was on his own (presumably from unapproving parents), and has confirmed some relationships, but he's a rather private dude.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

TGM spends its 19th and likely last consecutive weekend in the top 10. What a run to have a May movie in 2022 still in the top 10 in October!

Ticket to Paradise grossed $9.4M overseas. With $45.3M so far looking great so far for its total.

A $22M OW to start Q4 is a great surprise. Bodes well for the box office to finish the year on a high note.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
$22M off an $8M "opening" day? That's very impressive. I figured it would come in the $19-20M range like TWK and DWD. Should clear $65M even with Halloween Ends and Prey For The Devil on the horizon.

I'm thinking bigger. 100 Million :P. It's going to be leggy. The horror movie of the season for moviegoers I'm betting. It's off to a great start.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:20 pm
Extraordinary

Bros should've just released in its original August date. Probably wouldn't have done way better but probably could've benefited fromvthe legs late summer films got. Oh well.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:58 pm
now we know

Mojo and The Numbers are at it again. A discrepancy with Bullet Train's weekend number. Mojo says $1.4m, The Numbers says $2.4m. I'm inclined to believe Mojo here. Can't see how it increased 32% by adding 24 theatres.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

That's a great OW for Smile. Another hit for Paramount this year. It should be leggy from here.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:52 pm
now we know

O wrote:
TGM spends its 19th and likely last consecutive weekend in the top 10.

I don't know. That Indian movie won't be in the Top 10 next weekend, and DC League of Super-Pets will drop hard. Unless there's some other currently unreported Fathom Events flick or Indian movie coming out, there only looks to be two movies (Amsterdam and Lyle) that will make any real money. Tar will be limited, so it's hard to tell.

The real question is does it stay above $1 million next weekend?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Excel wrote:
Shack wrote:
Barrabás wrote:
Shack wrote:

Richard Madden is gay?

:funny: I was today years old when I found that out (thanks to KJ)

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:47 am
Extraordinary

I dont think Smile will be leggy, the film is shit and people actually booed wben the film ended at my screening.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:23 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Up to $22.7M. $8M over It Follows entire run in just 3.5 days.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:57 pm
Wallflower

neo_wolf wrote:
I dont think Smile will be leggy, the film is shit and people actually booed wben the film ended at my screening.

You make it sound like it's The Devil Inside. :P It has a B- CinemaScore and good reviews. I've heard many say it's scary. Also the Saturday and Sunday were very impressive. Went up to 22.6 Million. Just kept beating estimates all weekend. I think it will have good legs.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 pm
Wallflower

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Up to $22.7M. $8M over It Follows entire run in just 3.5 days.

I know the movie basically rips off that movie and The Ring but it's still a weird Box Office comparison for this. That was not a heavily marketed mainstream movie. Wasn't even supposed to go wide until it killed it in limited release. That one did quite well for basically coming out of nowhere into wide release for a lot of people.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:01 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Algren wrote:
How would Will & Grace get made if Hollywood was "very homophobic" behind closed doors? How would Brokeback Mountain get nominated for Best Picture? How would Moonlight win Best Picture? How would Bros be green-lit?

I think the issue with some gay people (certainly not all) is that when something doesn't go their way, they pull the gay equivalent of black people's race card. Do you seriously expect every gay actor to become a bankable star? It's a small pool to source from, so naturally gay stars will be less. But the gay community still has its stars. Ian McKellen has had a long and successful career. So has Ellen Degeneres. George Takei, too. I do not believe they would have if Hollywood was secretly Saudi Arabia. And you still need to be talented and/or likeable, which let's be honest, Richard Madden was never going to be the next Brad Pitt. He's very average-looking chiseled face type, like the gay version of Simon Baker (surprise, he's also not a bankable star!).

I'm going to ignore the "gay card" comment. Not worth responding to that. As for the rest of your post, there are lots of gay people in Hollywood and yes occasionally major studios will throw a bone to gay audiences. There are maybe one or two movies with gay lead characters per year that get some level of awards attention.

But when it comes to the big franchises, they are homophobic as far as not believing that an out gay actor can be a believable romantic action lead type. And they also are afraid it will affect box office grosses in countries that are more conservative, that it could get the film banned in China, etc. They already censor their movies for gay content in those types of countries, like how they deleted mentions of Dumbledore being gay from the last Fantastic Beasts, cutting out parts of Beauty and the Beast, etc. Perhaps they are right and it would hurt box office grosses. It's still homophobic and a reflection of a homophobic society.

Also, Ian McKellen is not a leading man star. Ellen is not a leading woman and her sitcom in the 90s was cancelled shortly after she came out. George Takei is not a leading man either. You do not have to be Saudi Arabia levels of homophobia for homophobia to still exist. You seem to have a personal issue here, that you don't believe homophobia could happen behind closed doors and influence decisions of who gets promoted as a star or not. That's on you.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:40 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Eichner's recent rant blaming straight audiences for not showing up and thus the film bombing only highlights a disconnect with reality and part of the reason audiences stayed away. The product just wasn't appealing, and audiences were under no obligation to go see it as he seems to assume.

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next