Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 smile previews 
Hold the door!

Post smile previews
2m.

If it follows Barbarian, over 20. if it follows Black Phone, then mid teens

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:22 am
now we know

Post Re: smile previews
Bros did $500k.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Smile does likely include Tuesday previews too. All of the showtimes at multiple theaters I checked were packed on Tuesday thanks to discount Tuesday. Did better then than the showings I saw last night though those were still fine. With reviews/WOM it should hit high teens this weekend. Maybe even 20 Million.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:02 am
Hold the door!

high single digits for Bros then

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:03 am
Extraordinary

Welp. Sucks Bros didn't do better. Good # for Smile.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:12 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Yeah Bros won't break $10M opening weekend. But the reception seems to be very positive so it could leg out. I think if it managed to cross $30M domestic it could be considered a modest success. There's no one famous in the cast so the budget can't have been that high, and I feel like it will be the type of film to enjoy a good audience on streaming.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:27 pm
now we know

Bros has $1.84 million (Fri + Thurs 5pm), which is a $1.34m true Friday. From that, I don't see how it gets close to even $8m this weekend, let alone $10m.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:39 am
Profile WWW
now we know

$6.2m true Friday for Smile. I guess it just does $20-22 million then.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:30 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Good opening for Smile. Horror is back to being very reliable.

Bros is a flop, but it probably shouldn't have had such high expectations to begin with. Romantic comedies, even straight ones, are not reliable at all right now. Eichner should have added a treasure hunt to the movie.

Grats to Bullet Train for passing $100M!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:26 pm
Extraordinary

Truly awful for Bros. Guess I should have guessed the gays would be apathetic.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:34 pm

That opening day for Bros is homophobic

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:51 pm
Star Trek XI

Kudos to Universal for at least taking a risk on this

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:52 pm
Extraordinary

TGM theater average only drops 7.0%. Friday PTA drop last week was 5.7%. Friday before that 12.8%. Will spend its 19th weekend in the top 10 which may be its last.

Paramount has another success. Paws of Fury remains their only wide opening disappointment of the year. Scream, Jackass, Smile, TGM, Lost City, and Sonic give Paramount 6 $20M+ OW's if Smile gets there.

Bros flopped. Needs a long weekend miracle next week to somehow get to a respectable gross but it may struggle to get to $25M total if it can't hold on to theaters.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I half wonder if gays don't want to be mainstream. Maybe deep down they like the fight, the struggle, the feeling of exclusivity, because that's what has defined much of their purpose and life. We know Brokeback Mountain did well, but it wasn't because of gay people. That was the older types seeking an awards favourite.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:11 pm
Profile WWW

Algren wrote:
I half wonder if gays don't want to be mainstream. Maybe deep down they like the fight, the struggle, the feeling of exclusivity, because that's what has defined much of their purpose and life. We know Brokeback Mountain did well, but it wasn't because of gay people. That was the older types seeking an awards favourite.

I'm sorry but ??? what is this post lmao. I don't know any gays that like "the struggle", if by the struggle you mean homophobia in society. There's nothing fun about feeling terrified for your entire teenage years that family and friends might reject you if they find out, hoping that your boss at your new job isn't homophobic so it won't impact your chance at a promotion, having to check laws before you travel to a country, feeling like you can't flirt or hold hands at a regular bar out of fear, no one enjoys that stuff I assure you. And gay people have plenty of purpose beyond that, careers, families, hobbies, aspirations, not all of that is related to being gay.

And gays very much are mainstream, pride parades happen in every major city, Lil Nas X had three hit songs last year, Will & Grace was like decades ago at this point. Everyone in America knows gay people exist.

I just don't think a raunchy rom com with no recognizable actors was going to do well, period. The straight ones have been flopping, then you add the gay factor which means most straight couples (who are the majority of rom com audiences) will stay away because the girl can't self-project onto the lead the way they would with a Reese Witherspoon movie.

But acting as if this movie somehow represents all gays is ridiculous. Billy Eichner represents a tiny subset of wealthy bi-coastal entertainment industry gays, if that. And the movie he made is no different from any other raunchy straight rom com like Knocked Up or Trainwreck. Why would making the same type of movie mean that he doesn't want anyone except gays to enjoy it? I think they tried marketing it to everyone, they had Chris Evans on Instagram recommending it the other day. They just failed because it looked unappealing to everyone except gays. And there are only like 3-4 million gays in America if we go by 2.5% of men are gay which I think is about right.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:20 pm
now we know

Yeah, that's fair enough. I was only putting it into the mix as a possible factor. I don't know gay life like you.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Is there any real doubt that deep down, a small but real amount of the far left and far righters LOVE the struggle? They're addicted to it, it is deeply embedded part of their identity.

"I am a fighter!!!!!!"

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:42 pm
Star Trek XI

As a gay man, I sure hope it’s not only 2.5% of America :funny: if we haven’t counted who’s in the DL/hasn’t come out. But yes I agree with Barabas besides that I don’t think anyone enjoys the struggle. I think this movie looks irritating and cringe but I will see it on streaming because I’ve heard it’s very fun and funny. That said, isn’t Love, Simon technically the first big gay theatrical rom com?

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:45 pm
Hold the door!

Excel wrote:
Is there any real doubt that deep down, a small but real amount of the far left and far righters LOVE the struggle? They're addicted to it, it is deeply embedded part of their identity.

"I am a fighter!!!!!!"

This is why social justice warriors exist. People who are insecure always need something to "fight for" to justify their existence.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:50 pm
now we know

I wasn't suggesting that gays like being attacked, ffs. I meant that perhaps they found solace in the idea of being in a small community and all the things that come with that, the feeling of being on the cusp of progressiveness, etc. With a movie coming out that would counter all of that because it's a wide release, mainstream Hollywood comedy, maybe they're just not warming to it because it counters that feeling of being niche champions of social activism? or something. Maybe if one of the gay members could shed some light on that, I'd be interested to know if there's any slither of reality to it because, as I already said, I don't know the gay world like you.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Algren wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that gays like being attacked, ffs. I meant that perhaps they found solace in the idea of being in a small community and all the things that come with that, the feeling of being on the cusp of progressiveness, etc. With a movie coming out that would counter all of that because it's a wide release, mainstream Hollywood comedy, maybe they're just not warming to it because it counters that feeling of being niche champions of social activism? or something. Maybe if one of the gay members could shed some light on that, I'd be interested to know if there's any slither of reality to it because, as I already said, I don't know the gay world like you.

I personally think the trailer looked too on-the-nose especially that conference room scene and such (although the “lesbian history month was in March and no one said a goddamn thing” was hilarious :funny: ) and Billy Eichner seems annoying in it, but tbh it’s just the trailer and I haven’t watched his show and would be willing to

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:56 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Excel wrote:

"I am a fighter!!!!!!"

What does this have to do with the topic here?

Algren said something without having experience or knowledge of himself (the "I half wonder"), to which Barrabas responded to as someone with the experience or knowledge, and Algren understood the point or position made thereafter. And Algren has since asked for those in the community to shed light on his questions that he doesn't have experience or knowledge to answer himself. That has been an ideal sort of exchange. (And quite refreshing!)

Gay people aren't extreme individuals, as in "far left" or "far right." They have had more things, rights, to fight for than many, most of which (marriage, work place discrimination, etc.) only being won very recently (not even 10 years in America), but that certainly doesn't make them (us) extreme, good grief. The Women's Suffrage movement was considered progressive at the time (and for about 100 years beforehand!), so think about how ridiculous that was when it was considered "extreme" for so many decades.

And what you see on the TV doesn't reflect the entire community, just as any other group that's lumped into a category doesn't reflect the entire community.

As for this movie, it's sort of a 50/50 situation for me. I see it as both "too much" and "not enough" (in a sense that it has to... exist, if that make any sense), I guess. Ideally, it'd be great to just see gay people (like me) in any random TV show or movie once in a while without it being like "Look! Gay representation!" when they do. It doesn't have to be every TV show or movie. It's kinda like how stores go all out during Pride Month with gay-themed merchandise and advertising. Like... it's "appreciative" (even if it's largely to make profit, but hey, that's America), but instead of piling all of that into one month, can it be sprinkled or spread out all year or something to where it's just... normal or unnecessary?

But back to movies (or TV shows), some people get upset if there's a gay couple or something "gay" in a movie if it's not an announced gay movie or carries some warning (...). It gets turned into a political move or agenda thing most of the time. A gay person or couple just being in a movie or TV show doesn't mean it's pushing some agenda... Can studios go "overboard" sometimes? Yeah, certainly.

So it's, unfortunately, still sort of (unnecessarily) complicated. I guess there's always, at least for now, going to be some group that gets offended with "gay" one way or another. Hopefully in years to come, gay people on the screen of some random movie isn't even thought of and is just as normal as an interracial couple on screen today (which was controversial and offensive to some not *that* long ago).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I stand by a gay Apatow style comedy being a good idea with potential to Bridesmaids, but it never overcame lack of star power in part due to lack of options (Who’s the most famous gay male comedy actor, NPH?) and self imposed by refusing to cover it up with straight actor cameos. You could tell from the trailer it wasn’t hitting.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:42 am
now we know

I think these comments I found at the end of a Deadline article sum Bros' performance up rather well, and they also align with the takes above:

Brian wrote:
the marketing for Bros was awful, so hostile and unwelcoming to straight people. Charlies Angels (another bomb) did the same thing with their ‘sorry fellas, this is a feminist action pic.” you got exactly what you wanted, everyone stayed away. why coudn’t they have just marketed it as a vulgar R-rated Apatow comedy like the others instead of alienating 80% of the movie going audience.

Fabiano wrote:
I’m a gay man, starving for content. I loved Hulu’s Fire Island (on Star+, internationally). It’s just that ‘Bros’ just doesn’t seem like a good film. It feels more like things Billy Eichner wants to say about a number of gay topics and not really a film. You watch the trailers and you can barely understand what draws these two characters together and what could keep that apart. It felt like a list of observations on gay culture and nothing more. Love Simon made US$66 million worldwide (US$ 40 domestic) on a US# 17 million budget, so, it can be done. But it has to be made for audiences, not for Twitter. Asian countries, much more conservative, manage to have a number of TV shows and films with gay couples as leads. But it has to feel like a film where people a gay, not a gay film.

Victoria wrote:
As a straight woman who loves her romcoms, my attitude is that only thing better than one cute guy is two cute guys. Buuuuut I still need to see a central female character. Maybe a snarky bff or something next time fellas?

The comments, regardless of where they are (Deadline, Facebook, etc.) are always more interesting than the article, lol. Like this one:

Anonymous wrote:
LOL at some horror movie I never heard of getting same opening week-end as Woman King and Dont Worry Darling. And those movies were aggressively promoted for months. Many millions were thrown at it. And then media wrote “King Viola” after it opened at number 1 with 19 millions. As if that was some huge achievement.

Will they say now “King Sosie” in the name of lead actress of Smile? )))) After all her movie opened same as Violas.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:47 am
Profile WWW

j_forest23 wrote:
As a gay man, I sure hope it’s not only 2.5% of America :funny: if we haven’t counted who’s in the DL/hasn’t come out. But yes I agree with Barabas besides that I don’t think anyone enjoys the struggle. I think this movie looks irritating and cringe but I will see it on streaming because I’ve heard it’s very fun and funny. That said, isn’t Love, Simon technically the first big gay theatrical rom com?

I think that's what most studies show. That said, that 2.5% is exclusively gay men. There are many more men who are varying degrees of bisexual, which is almost impossible to measure because as anyone who has been on Grindr can tell you, many are completely closeted.

Last edited by Barrabás on Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next