Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Don't Worry Darling weekend thread 
Extraordinary

Post Don't Worry Darling weekend thread
$3.1m previews. Very solid.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:04 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Don't Worry Darling weekend thread
When in doubt, spit on one of your coworkers.

I wonder if we'll see studios start to intentionally market films like this now. Oh, we're tracking badly, did you hear that the star and director HATE EACH OTHER???

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:05 pm
Extraordinary

I think this opening is thanks to Harry Styles. Even though he is... questionable in the film his fanbase is showing up. When I was lesving my theater a girl in front of me was talking about this was her 2nd time seeing it after the Monday preview.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:08 pm
Extraordinary

80% of this film's OW will be due to Harry Styles. 14 weeks at #1 now on Billboard's Hot 100.

When's the last time someone has had the #1 song and #1 movie? I know J. Lo managed to do it.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I feel like it happened recently but can't rmember who

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:22 pm
Hold the door!

Lizzo in 2019 with Hustlers and Truth Hurts, though she was barely in it

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

zwackerm wrote:

Must be Lady Gaga

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm
Hold the door!

Shack wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
I feel like it happened recently but can't remember who

Must be Lady Gaga

Star is Born peaked at number 2 at the box office

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:17 pm
Hold the door!

I think the cinemascore will be solid, B+/A- range which would be great for a thriller

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:20 pm
Wallflower

Pretty much every teenage girl at work is seeing this with groups of friends tonight. Expect an annoying AF audience if you aren't going to this when school is in session.

I'm going in half an hour.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:26 pm
Extraordinary

Still crazy to me that Mark Wahlberg has also been #1 on the Billboard chart given how long his career has been going now in movies.

Any numbers yet on Avatar re-release?

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Magic Mike wrote:
Pretty much every teenage girl at work is seeing this with groups of friends tonight. Expect an annoying AF audience if you aren't going to this when school is in session.

Hope you like it! I’m seeing it tomorrow night and am expecting this though I’m hoping most of the die hard fans saw it at Monday IMAX screening/last night/tonight. Honestly I think the drama will help as well, it got me more excited than I already was for sure. I do think to an extent th w drama has been blown out of proportion but I do like Olivia and Florence both and the fact that some people seem to genuinely want there to be bad blood between them is pretty sad, not gonna lie. I do hope they resolve whatever issues that have, I remember Florence said in an Actors on Actors video that she really wanted to work with Olivia so as entertaining as the whole drama has been it’s also pretty sad to me if everything is true.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:06 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Shack wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Must be Lady Gaga

No, "Shallow" went #1 after the iconic Oscars performance but the movie was nowhere near #1 at that point

Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:10 pm
Begging Naked

When I saw the movie last night the crowd was like 90% women, and during the end credits Harry's card got a big applause from most of them...Wilde's immediately after got boos from the same people. :lol: So yeah this is largely him.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Anything 25m plus is great but honestly films like this used to open to 30m easy and higher adjusted so I can’t help but be disappointed if it misses 30m given the hype it seems to have

Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:42 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
Anything 25m plus is great but honestly films like this used to open to 30m easy and higher adjusted so I can’t help but be disappointed if it misses 30m given the hype it seems to have

I'm not disputing that, but just what movies are you referring to that used to open to $30m that are like this?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

j_forest23 wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:

Hope you like it! I’m seeing it tomorrow night and am expecting this though I’m hoping most of the die hard fans saw it at Monday IMAX screening/last night/tonight. Honestly I think the drama will help as well, it got me more excited than I already was for sure. I do think to an extent th w drama has been blown out of proportion but I do like Olivia and Florence both and the fact that some people seem to genuinely want there to be bad blood between them is pretty sad, not gonna lie. I do hope they resolve whatever issues that have, I remember Florence said in an Actors on Actors video that she really wanted to work with Olivia so as entertaining as the whole drama has been it’s also pretty sad to me if everything is true.

Yeah Florence said Olivia was her idol in that or something. Sad things went the way they did unless this was all a publicity stunt

I really enjoyed the movie. It's very well-made. Great production design. The absolute highlight though is Florence who is incredible.

The RT rating being as low as it is is honestly ridiculous. I could understand low 60's, even 50's, but 30's? It doesn't deserve that at all.

Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:19 am
now we know

I haven't seen it, but its 38% RT score is odd. It's had its score mixed up with Bandit, a DTV actioner with Mel Gibson, those are usually the ones that get rotten scores but that's currently on 75%! I mean, I'm pleased because I always root for Mel, but it's not "meant to be this way".

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

I'm not disputing that, but just what movies are you referring to that used to open to $30m that are like this?

Panic Room, Gone Girl, etc

Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:35 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
Algren wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Panic Room, Gone Girl, etc

:thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:23 am
Wallflower

Disappointing Friday for Don't Worry Darling. Especially considering it will be front-loaded this weekend.

Bad drop for The Woman King. But fantastic hold for Barbarian.

Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:53 am
now we know

Don't Worry Darling's true Friday is just $6.3 million. Does a film like that increase on Saturday? I guess all films do, so what are we looking at, maybe $7 or 8 million? So it's looking at a mid-20s weekend.

Lovely number for Barbarian and, lol, what an increase for Super-Pets. Strange that no studio bothered to release a kids movie in this period.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Algren wrote:
Don't Worry Darling's true Friday is just $6.3 million. Does a film like that increase on Saturday? I guess all films do, so what are we looking at, maybe $7 or 8 million? So it's looking at a mid-20s weekend.

Increase?
DWD will drop from true Friday!
$5-5.5M max on Saturday.

Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:16 pm
Superfreak

Re: Panic Room/Gone Girl - reviews matter greatly with type of films. Such a low RT score probably cost the film a good $10m or so in curiosity sales it could have gotten over the weekend. Also in todays ultra sautéed media world, I am not sure any press is good press any more; the drama surrounding this one reached annoying/turn-off levels weeks ago.

Also, despite some of the more famous names in the film, none of them real "draws" and I would find it highly amusing and interesting the Styles fanbase proves to be the difference between a horrible $10-12m opening weekend and a decent/solid $23-25m. From a film producers perspective, it makes him very intriguing as a potential draw in the right role.

Justin Timberlake branched into acting but it never took off nor did he win any truly high profile roles (unless one counts The Social Network where he stood out like sore thumb). Styles is in a position at the moment that reminds me of when model (?) and low budget film heart throb Josh Hartnett was thrown into a bunch of high profile films in a short window with the extremely unusual Hollywood twist of playing characters older than he actually was. It resulted in a very odd dynamic where teenie boppers were hyping films they would normally avoid like the plague ala Pearl Harbor or Black Hawk Down while critics struggled to him seriously. Similar to post Titanic Leo where teenage girls suddenly wanted to see The Man in The Iron Man or The Beach while critics viewed him a good but yet great pretty boy actor.

I would be very interested in seeing what happens to ticket sales if Styles is given a lead role in a truly high-profile release. It could open doors to ticket sales that would normally never be considered.

Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next