Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How will National Cinema Day affect next Saturday? 
Extraordinary

Post Re: How will National Cinema Day affect next Saturday?
8.1m admissions sold on Saturday...

Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Disappointing $2.55m Saturday number for Top Gun. Based on all the sellouts of theaters around me and I ended up getting second row tickets for a showing 6 hours later, I’d thought it would’ve done $5m on Saturday alone. Dumb of many cinemas to put Top Gun on only one screen,

Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Alex Y. wrote:
Disappointing $2.55m Saturday number for Top Gun. Based on all the sellouts of theaters around me and I ended up getting second row tickets for a showing 6 hours later, I’d thought it would’ve done $5m on Saturday alone. Dumb of many cinemas to put Top Gun on only one screen,

Agreed. There were many movies they could have given fewer showtimes to accommodate it. I really want it to be #1 this weekend and depending who you ask it could be but I don't think so. Spider-Man seems to have it. But you never know. Hoping for a miracle.

Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:03 pm
Veteran

I'd like to see more re-releases of classics during this slow period (Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, Terminator 2). Why not?

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:49 am
now we know

Apocalypse Now is in release right now. It was re-released in August. It's made $52,000.

I'm glad to see re-releases, but they're always of classic movies. I wish they would re-release others as well. Like, still popular but ones that aren't necessarily "classics", such as True Lies, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Bloodsport, Basic Instinct, The Rock, etc.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:12 am
Profile WWW
now we know

There's also National Cinema Week coming the week of October 7-13, where over 1,200 theaters with 12,000+ screens are participating, which may boost ticket sales. The major releases opening that week are Tar, Amsterdam, and Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile. Events include:

- Community Day where theaters will host more than 6,500 youth at free Saturday 8th morning showings of Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile.
- Family Day on Sunday 9th.
- Special loyalty club member rewards and prizes on Monday 9th.
- Most cinemas are offering unlimited popcorn all week.

I'm not sure how much impact it will have on the box office or individual films. Maybe just the overall focus being on getting bums on seats will be good for exhibition in general, they'll sell more popcorn and drinks, I guess. The free showings of Lyle aren't going to help it, though their parents are going to need to do something or accompany their children (and presumably they'll need to pay for their tickets). I don't know. Sunday will probably see a boost. Not sure what "Family Day" entails, but there must be some initiatives to get families out as was the case on National Cinema Day. Unlimited popcorn is a nice gesture but I don't see it being a reason to attend the cinema more than just a nice perk when you're already there.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2