Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bros predictions 
Extraordinary

Post Bros predictions
Think the trailer was just alright but this will do really well I feel.

Wed May 18, 2022 12:14 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Bros predictions
Maybe. Reminds me of grown up r rated love simon which didn't do much.

Maybe around Good Boys numbers

Wed May 18, 2022 12:45 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I’m there opening day just out of principle. The way black people went to Black Panther, us gays should go to this. Send the message that there is an audience for films like this.

Wed May 18, 2022 2:34 pm
Extraordinary

Barrabás wrote:
I’m there opening day just out of principle. The way black people went to Black Panther, us gays should go to this. Send the message that there is an audience for films like this.

Yeah pretty much why I think this will be big. This will be the gay Black Panther/Crazy Rich Asians.

Wed May 18, 2022 4:15 pm

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Barrabás wrote:

Yeah pretty much why I think this will be big. This will be the gay Black Panther/Crazy Rich Asians.

Well the difference is that gay men are like 1.5% of the US population whereas black people are like 14%

I think the ceiling for OW is $20M, but that would still be a good result

Wed May 18, 2022 5:10 pm
Star Trek XI

Yeah I’ll see this bc there’s not many like this in theaters and I love to see it! I will say I hope Bowen yang isn’t in a much, he’s beyond insufferable and irritating to the highest extent, may be an unpopular opinion but I said what I said lol, hasn’t made me laugh once

Wed May 18, 2022 7:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

Yea I like this breaking out as gay Crazy Rich Asians. Not sure if straight guys will see this (maybe if they had a hot lesbo thrown in?) but women and gay men might be enough.

Wed May 18, 2022 8:32 pm

They should move up the release date to next week, it looks like monkeypox being spread through gay sex is the new global pandemic. By late September no one is going to want to watch this and they're going to hate us again like they did in the 80s with HIV.

Thu May 19, 2022 9:28 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I hadn't heard of this and thought it was something to do with the late 80s Brit group "Bros" which was indecently the first cassette album I bought :funny:

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu May 19, 2022 10:22 pm
Forum General

If this is solid, I think it'll do well. It's definitely going to be a movie for the 18-35 age group and the majority of them male or female don't give a fuck about the sexuality of people. It should be good for $80 million if it gets good buzz.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri May 20, 2022 2:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

I highly doubt straight males will be interested in seeing this, it will struggle from the same thing Magic Mike did where they will be worried about being thought as gay for seeing it

Fri May 20, 2022 2:31 pm

zwackerm wrote:
I highly doubt straight males will be interested in seeing this, it will struggle from the same thing Magic Mike did where they will be worried about being thought as gay for seeing it

Yeah straight guys are NEVER into gay stuff unless they are the high brow hipster crowd and the movie is packaged as must-see cinematic excellence ala Brokeback and Call Me By Your Name.

Personally I don’t think the audience for this is that wide, it will be mostly limited to gay men and some women who drag their very reluctant boyfriends along. If it becomes zeigeisty and WOM is great it could break out a bit though.

Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

The all LGBT actors thing was a nice gesture but I think if they had a few straight actors like how Jon Hamm was in Bridesmaids it would have wider appeal. I doubt gay guys would have minded if there was a joke where Paul Rudd was shirtless at the club or something.

Fri May 20, 2022 2:57 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This looks fucking bad, Billy eichner might be the worst possible person for a film like this. They should have gone with someone like Dan Levy, who is edgier, funnier, and is super likable right now. and could have made this a real fun crossover comedy. I see 6/ 15 total

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 22, 2022 4:51 pm

Thegun wrote:
This looks fucking bad, Billy eichner might be the worst possible person for a film like this. They should have gone with someone like Dan Levy, who is edgier, funnier, and is super likable right now. and could have made this a real fun crossover comedy. I see 6/ 15 total

This would've been interesting and maybe more general audience-friendly. Eichner's personality can be very grating. I will say though that Billy Eichner is more attractive and that might've been a consideration. They clearly wanted both leads to be conventional hot, and Dan Levy may be likeable but he has negative sex appeal. Billy worked out a ton prior to this and it shows.

Sun May 22, 2022 8:13 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Really. I really don’t see that, though that’s not really my expertise. Maybe zwackwerm can poll his endless pool of demographics for every prediction he does. I can say, the last five years have not been kind to him, he looks like a gremlin here. Though maybe that’s the joke, that has been an appatow staple. I feel like I love You Phillip Morris came out too soon. Reminds me a lot of that, but You can’t have straight actors in a movie like this anymore either. But his celeb status is about as bottom of the barrel as it gets now.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 22, 2022 9:04 pm

I Love You Phillip Morris did come out too soon, it would’ve been a lot bigger with more studio support now.

Wed May 25, 2022 4:13 pm
Begging Naked

The biggest pro for this movie is that this summer is very lacking in straight comedies-- er, comedies without any additional sub-genres. After Unbearable Weight (and even that is action-adjacent) there really is nothing else on that front aside from I guess Mrs. Harris Goes Toi Paris. There is still concern about how much comedies will bring people out to the theater, but I do think as some have noted they will try to sell this as an "event" and that could certainly help it out. Not mention August is a tad open ATM. Maybe $19 million opening, $60-80 million total depending on WOM?

Thu May 26, 2022 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

There is absolutely potential for a gay romantic comedy to do well at the box office. Unfortunately this looks annoying AF and is not that movie. There's really no cross-over potential like I imagined it having since it was announced. It almost seems like it's actively trying not to appeal to a straight audience. It's a bummer because I was looking forward to an Apatow-produced studio gay rom com ever since it was announced. I'll still see it and I'm sure reviews will be good. Most Apatow productions are well-reviewed. But I have such low expectations for it.

I am honestly dreading seeing this trailer in front of movies this summer. At least the red-band one. MAYBE a green band one would be ok. But seeing the red-band one with an audience would be a highly uncomfortable experience. Like I really want to hear homophobic remarks. If I go to something like Nope and the trailer shows I will be dying inside. :sweat:

I think it was a mistake to have an exclusively gay cast. I think the romantic interest should have been a name. Not Luke Macfarlane of Brothers & Sisters and countless Hallmark movies. Someone like maybe John Krasinski or Channing Tatum. You really can't expect a movie like this to cross over without a name in a lead role. If they wanted someone gay I suppose Luke Evans would have been good.

Also, I feel like they made a huge mistake not releasing this in August. It screams August movie. I believe that's where it was originally going to release. Otherwise they could have held it over until February for Valentine's.

So yeah. 18-20 Million opening weekend tops. Maybe a 60 Million total with great reviews.

Sun May 29, 2022 1:55 pm
Wallflower

Barrabás wrote:

Yeah. I'll support it because I feel like I should and I'm hoping it's good. But I'm honestly embarrassed by this movie.

Thegun wrote:

Billy seems grating AF in this. I agree Dan Levy would have been a much better choice. Neither is attractive but Dan Levy is very likable and funny. As long as the romantic interest is attractive it doesn't matter much if the lead is. At least IMO.

Anyway this really doesn't look like the representation the gay community needs. At least there's something legit lovely like Heartstopper that exists. ;)

Sun May 29, 2022 1:57 pm

If they had only dispensed with the ridiculous “must be gay” requirement for the cast then they could’ve had any number of the closeted Hwood actors as their romantic lead. Imagine how much more marketable this would be with Richard Madden (who’s played gay plenty of times so he wouldn’t be opposed)?

Mon May 30, 2022 5:37 pm
Wallflower

Premieres at TIFF tonight.

Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:02 pm
Wallflower

Reviews are great. It's apparently pretty hilarious. I think the minimum it does is 60 Million but the max is 80 or just over.

Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:14 pm
Hold the door!

This looks like a misfire to me.

Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:32 pm
now we know

I would be shocked if this does $60 million (let alone $80m) without a single name in the cast and, you know, being about what it's about certainly limits its target audience. But this year nothing seems off the table, so I guess it "could" do it. On face value, before I knew anything about the movie, it felt like the type that opens to $4-5 million and ends with $12 million. That's where I'm still at.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next