Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 ...Johnny Depp Comeback? 
Superfreak

Post ...Johnny Depp Comeback?
Trial looks to be a massive success for Depp. Even if he doesn't win his actual case, he is dominating in the court of public opinion. Media coverage of him has been almost universally positive- and TERRIBLE for Amber Heard, good grief.

Could it happen...?

Last edited by Excel on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:17 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: ...Johnny Depp Comeback?
He'll be in studio films again at some point though I doubt he'll ever reach his Burton/Pirates starpower level again

Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:59 am
Devil's Advocate

Depp strikes me as a guy that's taken highest payday for a while and lawyers aren't cheap.

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:48 pm
The Kramer

Disney should move forward with the Margot Robbie Pirates reboot, then bring Depp, Bloom and Knightley back near the end without actually marketing them (but "leaking" their involvement several months in advance.)

Amber Turd meanwhile ... Well she ain't gonna be in Aquaman 3. Hopefully her character is replaced by Mads Mikkelson.

Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:27 pm
Extraordinary

If Mel Gibson can make a comeback feel like Depp will. He's been in so many iconic movies like Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, and of course Jack Sparrow. If Hollywood teaches us anything is that the public and industry forgive you when you continue to make money and entertaining films.

I do wonder PR wise how challenging The Lone Ranger would have been to make today, though it flopped anyway. Hammer and Depp, $225–250 million in 2013 times. Why not cast Ezra in there too and feature Smith in his return to westerns while we're at it.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I was mostly ignoring the case until now and just bought the twist that Heard was the real abuser, but now that I'm actually trying to read into it Depp's side looks worse than I thought, Heard might be a toxic person but he seems to be as well. It's possible they both were violent with each other, I guess that's more rare type of relationship than having one abuser and one doormat, though not impossible. I don't think it's clear enough to deserve to win the defamation case or have his reputation fully cleared. Will Smith deserves comeback more.

Sun May 22, 2022 2:51 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

A Johnny Depp/Will Smith buddy road trip movie in 5 or 6 years could make bank!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu May 26, 2022 7:53 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

If the Margot Robbie pirates film can do decently enough - a follow up with Jack Sparrow and Robbie could be his comeback vehicle.

Thu May 26, 2022 7:54 am
Romosexual!

MadGez wrote:
If the Margot Robbie pirates film can do decently enough - a follow up with Jack Sparrow and Robbie could be his comeback vehicle.

assuming Margot wants to be in the same movie with him.

Thu May 26, 2022 8:04 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Rev wrote:
MadGez wrote:

offcourse!

Thu May 26, 2022 6:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

He just won his case (he wins 15 million, while Heard wins 2 million in countersuit)

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

(my creation)

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:52 pm
The Kramer

This is a case where Amber Heard has become such a major heel in celebrity culture that it has turned Depp into a beloved babyface again. Even though, as Shack pointed out, he wasn't exactly innocent in this toxic relationship.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:23 pm
Wallflower

Yeah they were both abusive. I think it's kind of gross that people act like he's innocent in this. The texts he sent Paul Bettany were grotesque. Plus I've heard he's an asshole to work with so people weren't too upset about not having to work with him once he wasn't a big draw anymore. I'll be good with him not having a comeback.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:18 pm
Extraordinary

The media circus on this has been awful. Glad its over and even if Heard is a terrible person the amount of just pure hatred towards her just from Depp fans is pretty hard to see. I don't have a clear opinion on it other than yikes.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:08 pm
Wallflower

I do have sympathy for her. She's the most hated woman in America right now. The level of hate is disturbing. This will follow her everywhere and could be quite dangerous for her. Her life and career is ruined. Even if she lied she doesn't deserve the extreme hatred she's facing.

Edit: After reading this Twitter thread I don't actually think she's totally lying about the abuse. In fact I'd find it hard to believe that he didn't ever hit her.
https://twitter.com/Isa__Ford/status/15 ... tYv8A&s=07

Last edited by Magic Mike on Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:04 pm
Veteran

The studios will be knocking on Depp's door and we're all better for it.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:55 pm
Extraordinary

Apparently Depp may be in talks to join Winona / Keaton on a Beetlejuice sequel? Seems like the right type of movie for him and as a pre-existing property and allstar cast would be a safe movie to jump into rather than anchoring something on his own.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

MadGez wrote:
Rev wrote:
MadGez wrote:

offcourse!

I bet she won't let him join.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:56 am
Hold the door!

You don't have to have sympathy for Heard in order to not believe Depp is completely innocent. I believe Heard is guilty of all charges but Depp probably did something as well.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:23 pm
Romosexual!

zwackerm wrote:
You don't have to have sympathy for Heard in order to not believe Depp is completely innocent. I believe Heard is guilty of all charges but Depp probably did something as well.

They're both guilty of being trash ass people

Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:56 pm
The Kramer

I don't think people care about what they actually did to each other so much as that Amber Heard lied and specifically used a phrase that was like "you're a man, so nobody will believe you."

Being falsey me-tooed is has been a major anxiety of dudebros since the movement started. So naturally , Amber was gonna face a major backlash from them for being their worst fears personified.

However, I don't know if anyone expected the vast majority of women to side with Depp as well. I'm not sure if it's just a Depp thing since he was very popular with the ladies before, or if its something bigger. Like "great, now because of you, there's always gonna be doubt when a famous (or non-famous even) man is accused of anything."

So Amber Heard is just getting kicked in the balls from all sides. Deservingly so in my opinion. It also helps that no other women came out against Johnny Depp during the entire trial(s) as you'd usually see in cases like this.

But I have been wondering one thing - a major part of the defaming case was based on Depp losing all the potential money from Pirates 6 and beyond. So if he does go back to the franchise then would Amber be able to sue for some of her money back?

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:53 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's definitely a "because of you, it's going to be harder for all of us to be heard or believed" with many women, I think. My mom was oddly invested in this case, and she's mentioned more than once how, once it came out Heard lied (especially the "you're a man, no one will believe you" tape), she couldn't believe she'd lie over this when women she's known have gone unheard when coming forth with their abuse.

And pretty self-explanatory on why men, in general, sided against her.

If reports (and Google) are accurate, her net worth is below (some sources say well below) the $15 million she's been ordered to pay. And she's appealing the decision, which must be quite costly. And landing well-paying acting roles to help here will likely be a real struggle.

This isn't a "win", exactly, for Depp either though. It was a mixed result, even if it largely favored him. Studios will still be weary hiring him for a bit longer, I suspect. But the door to land some big roles again has been nudged back open perhaps. And as Flava'd said, no other women coming forth will probably go a long way. You'd have to think if he abused anyone in the past, Heard's team would have found them (or vice-versa).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

He's been damaged goods since the start of this years ago, and I don't think that's going to change. He'll be acting again, might do well, but will never reach the stardom level from 20 years ago.

Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:35 pm
Extraordinary

Hollywood loves a comeback story. Maybe they'll do Edward Scissorhands 2 and it will make $400M at this rate. :P

Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]