Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can Will Smith Recover? 
Superfreak

Post Can Will Smith Recover?
I think no.

I am somewhat shocked at how bad this is. This is worse than Kanye's "Ima let you finish" moment.

Sad Big Willie Style finally reached the critical mountain top after so much time on the commercial mountain top, but he could not help himself.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Can Will Smith Recover?
Yes but I expect him to make a lot of mainstream movies that don't care about reviews.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:41 pm
Extraordinary

Aladdin 2 may be recast but ID4 2 was so bad he may do a sequel.

MIB has already been retooled so would be harder to go back to that.

He'll probably make more $ producing but his acting career will be stalled. This whole thing got worse each day after the Oscars.

Tom Cruise MI3 saw a big drop from his couch jumping but this is 10X worse.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Probably too early to say, if impossible, really. It's going to be really hard (likely impossible) to land roles with the major studios, I imagine, as they'll likely face a lot of backlash if they would cast him.

He'll probably be let go from any current films he's on and planned films by the major studios like Depp was, and be limited to really small films that barely register on the radar for quite some time, perhaps similar to Depp's ongoing situation over the past 4 years.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Worst case scenario he can make some more Netflix movies. If they stood by Chappelle for financial reasons I doubt they would mind.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:50 pm
The Kramer

He needs to go away for a few years, then do a self parodying role ala Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder, publicy let Chris Rock get revenge, pump out some greatest hits like Bad Boys 4 and finally just fit his career into his new image as an unstable lunatic. Cruise has made it work.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:10 pm
Wallflower

I personally won't watch anymore of that asshole's movies but thankfully he made very few that were worth watching so it's no loss.

Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:44 pm
Extraordinary

There's a Warren Buffet quote here that I kept thinking about related to this all:

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently."

Warren knows what he's talking about!!

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:22 am
Profile WWW
SO FETCH!

I don’t see him having issues or this blowing over past the Academy’s decision and Red Table Talk. This type of events are hyped up and then easily blow over for the next big story.

I could see his career having trouble if several people came out and said they were also assaulted by him, but that hasn’t happened. There is still a major part of his audience that thinks his actions are justified.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:31 am
Romosexual!

He'll recover I'm sure. Just give it time. Time heals wounds.
It'll heal Rock's face and Will's celebrity ;)

Even IF the Academy bans him for life, which I highly doubt they will.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:37 am
Forum General

Nobody will care in a year or so.

Even if what he did was so fucked/the action of an unbalanced person.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:40 pm
Begging Naked

Smith has already fallen off for the most part outside of name franchises (even with HBO Max, King Richard making under $15 million was pathetic), and this won't do him any favors. That said, as Flava'd noted, Tom Cruise's career path shows a way forward for him, one where he maybe scales back on the whole ""relatable"" social media image he had been making and maybe even leaning in to the fact that he's a giant rich weirdo.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

His career as a box office draw was already over a while ago. King Richard bombed hard, if it had been released in the 2000s it would've done $30m+ OW easily.

At this point he was only doing Oscar bait in a blatant attempt to get one plus supporting roles in major franchise films to keep his name out there. Him and Tom Cruise were the biggest movie stars from the late 90s to mid 2000s but after that Tom pulled ahead thanks to Mission Impossible. He can still headline a hit movie all by himself, not so much Will.

So I think this will only really affect his blockbuster supporting roles like Aladdin and Suicide Squad.

In 5 to 10 years though he will 100% have a comeback and be accepted with open arms back into getting roles the way he was up to now. He didn't kill someone, it's easy to excuse his behaviour as "trying to defend his wife got the best of him" (I am not excusing it however and personally I think this points to a very unstable personality that was probably violent in the past but it got hushed up). The public is divided but there's nothing some well-spent PR dollars and time can't fix.

Last edited by Barrabás on Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:34 pm
Extraordinary

The publicity on this has been insufferable.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:55 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

yes.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:47 pm
Extraordinary

Kristin Stewart paved a clear path here and Hollywood loves a comeback story.

Cheated on Twilight costar with a married director, led to a Snow White sequel without Snow White (?!!!), did artsy work and now is acclaimed.

Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

O wrote:

Cheated on Twilight costar with a married director, led to a Snow White sequel without Snow White (?!!!), did artsy work and now is acclaimed.

I felt like Stewart's challenge was more-so being taken seriously after Twilight, rather than the cheating thing being that big of a deal. Pattinson had similar strategy, and Radcliffe to some extent although his task to avoid typecasting was the hardest of all.

Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:02 am
Romosexual!

O wrote:

Pretty sure Will’s action is the more serious of the two. He did it on the biggest stage in Hollywood. He resigned from the academy and the academy will ban him for years.

Kristin just did a normal thing in Hollywood & America. Cheating on your partner with a married person is just another day.

Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:21 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

He was no longer a draw and it will only be worse from here. Sure time heals and people forget but he’s going to have to work hard for the right roles if he wants any acclaim or success. Not only did he do something wrong - he also embarrassed himself and brought more attention to his home situation - one that greatly undermines the cool brash big Willy style that he thrives on.

I also suspect I Am Legend 2 will now be a MBJ vehicle only.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:34 pm
Homo Dperious

He probably can’t because that would require your culture to admit that it’s morality is essentially worthless, irrational, nonsense. The only function of anything your civilization does is use up shortsighted, irrational, flawed, exploitative, parasitic, opportunities. Sure there is the excuse that someone else would do it, but everyone can try that excuse, so it doesn’t really change anything. Someone else would use fossil fuels simply because there was/is economic opportunity, but it’s circular if you expect anyone else to respect your superficial, unsustainable, minimally complete economic value. Only fools believe the US dollar has any long term value. Its only function, and the only reason it’s tolerated, is as a short-term placeholder, because it doesn’t make any sense to allow the global economy to completely collapse and rebuild. Its value is derived from fossil fuels and this is the reason the system is incapable of responding correctly or responsibility to these problems. It’s solutions are always problematic. It’s the nature of a parasite, it may evolve, but it is still fundamentally doing the same thing. You move from one set of contradictions to the next. You only truly change when you have no choice and run out of options. The system won’t address the fact that these problems continue if a financial/accounting system is an incoherent, almost meaningless mess. The only way to affect change is to force them to face reality. Energy is a reality, but only a temporary transient one from an economic perspective, and the same is true of the currency derived from it. Whether they are aware of it or not (almost certainly, as usual, not), the only solution is for them to lose all hope, options, and power for the future (or at least any future based on those decision making processes). The market and prices need to absorb and eliminate all the instability, entropy, irrationality, and unsustainable growth related to the economic and political model. Stock market bubbles can collapse rapidly, and the reason is that they depend on circular thinking that is at odds with reality and shatters against it as soon as it runs out of gullible investors. Regardless of the superficial appearance of the economic, political, financial, and accounting systems, they must be put under siege by reality. The long term consequences may not immediately be clear, apparent, or obvious, but that’s not relevant. What matters is that the incentives for bad decision making is reduced and eliminated. Immediately in necessary ways, but eventually more substantially and completely.

You rationalize your own efforts as progressive, but change happens despite you, you keep doubling down on the same bad assumptions like it’s 1652. You seem to think your religion is different or better than other “tribal” religions (even many secular people seem to believe this), but it just happens to be a more powerful religion from a region of the world that had the opportunity to begin the industrial revolution and colonize globally. And secular people may criticize religion, but they continue to repeat its bad assumptions, its cultural perceptive, its interests and values. You probably are incapable of admitting that you are fundamentally no different than other cultures, ideologies, or systems. The only difference may be that you have more power to make stupid decisions and cause more damage. I don’t think you can admit the complete and total failure, futility, and hopelessness of your civilization. Or the end of your species. I’m not sure if I should say it, but I don’t think you’re conscious. I don’t feel it or see any indication or sign of it. Not as I experience or understand it. I feel rather like I’m interacting with animals. You seem to go around as if in some sort of dreamlike state. And no matter how you try to “raise your consciousness”, or “awaken”, or be “aware”, or learn, or respond, or adjust, or suggest, and no matter what I say, it never seems to change. I don’t know how it’s possible to get through to you. I guess it takes a lot of time. I think it’s too difficult for you to deal with emotionally. You seem to always be immediately emotionally devastated if you get a glimpse of these things. Never mind facing it year after year, decade after decade. Usually you will reflexively deny if it’s possible. Unless I make it easy. And without explanation, I understand on a number of levels analytically, that the difference between us involves species divergence. Change will only happen when you are forced to accept that you don’t challenge the truth or anyone who understands it whatsoever. But again, you probably won’t even be aware that you were forced to accept it. I think that’s enough I’ll say goodbye to the forum for at least a while. Maybe forever. It doesn’t help with stress.

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:21 pm
Profile ICQ
Hold the door!

what

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:24 pm
Forum General

:shock:

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:29 pm
Wall-E