Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Weekend Estimates 
Extraordinary

Post Weekend Estimates
$253,000,000

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Weekend Estimates
This is inexplicable

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Awesome. Only fitting for Spider-Man to take back the Biggest OW for a solo-superhero film, too.

Marvel just has a dominant hold on the box-office and moviegoers at this point, and arguably has for a few/several years now.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Awesome. Only fitting for Spider-Man to take back the Biggest OW for a solo-superhero film, too.

Marvel just has a dominant hold on the box-office and moviegoers at this point, and arguably has for a few/several years now.

Is it really a solo-superhero film though with Doctor Strange prominently featured in the ads?

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Damn it missed IW lol.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:31 pm
Extraordinary

The fact that this needs a 3.70 multiplier to get #1 domestic film of all time is crazy.

Not likely to happen but in normal times based on the audience reception, repeat viewings, Christmas holidays, etc. it wouldn't have been impossible.

Big question I have now is how many weekends at #1 will this be? With lots of older moviegoers possibly seeing it in several weeks could have a strange run. See possibly 6 weekends at #1 before Morbius takes it down. Scream could surprise as well earlier.

Also, WSS not even at $20M yet is embarrassing until you look at Nightmare Alley's $3M OW.

Maybe Spielberg or Guillermo need to direct Clifford 2 since the original looks to do $50M+? :grrr:

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Absolutely insane opening. To go from 2 years with no 100m opener to this... truly a mother of god performance. The ad campaign choosing to not show the others yet was the right move.

Needs around a 15% Sunday drop to beat Infinity War. The highest drop for a 200m+ opener on Sunday is Last Jedi's 20% so it's totally possible.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:29 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Corpse wrote:

3 Spideys and Dr Strange with characters from 3 different series of movies. Definitely not a solo movie. That said this OW is as impressive as endgame. Plus this has broken out everywhere like endgame.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:39 pm
Extraordinary

I'd agree on impressiveness but feel it may surpass Endgame a tad. This OW feels Spiderman 2002 level. There was an 11 year build up to End Game. This OW feels like it single handedly puts the direction of an entire industry in another direction. That was the feeling the original Spiderman left.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

if it had the same legs as Aquaman, No Way Home would land at about $1.25B total. For some perspective. :hahaha:

Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:01 pm
Extraordinary

In other news... wow at that West Side Story drop. Lol

Also there's a chance Venom 2 doesn't pass 1 due to losing most of its screens this week. Eek

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:04 pm
Extraordinary

publicenemy#1 wrote:
In other news... wow at that West Side Story drop. Lol

They actually got a nice out in media coverage since Nightmare Alley flopped and fewer are paying attention to WSS as much. I've read a few articles saying "adult films are disappointing all around" so WSS is getting looped into the larger trend. NA cost $60M and was the studio's highest budget with an all star cast and strong reviews.

Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

INFINITY WAR is definitely toast if Sony hasn't inflated Friday and Saturday numbers... Sunday will be closer to $64m than $63m I guess... - definitely more than Sony's Sunday estimate of $57.35m...

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST IMPRESSIVE OPENING WEEKEND EVER! #PANDEMIC

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:09 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Even if it does not cross IW, I think it's the most impressive opening of all time topping both Endgame and original Spidey.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:15 am
Hold the door!

I wonder when we’ll get an accurate Sunday estimate.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:26 am
Romosexual!

mark66 wrote:
INFINITY WAR is definitely toast if Sony hasn't inflated Friday and Saturday numbers... Sunday will be closer to $64m than $63m I guess... - definitely more than Sony's Sunday estimate of $57.35m...

hoping so :D I want it to take the #2 spot

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:29 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Horrific opening for Nightmare Alley.

This just looks House of Gucci look all the more impressive, literally the only adult-skewing film that had a sizeable audience this year. I would not be surprised to see Gaga as the highest-paid actress in Hollywood within a couple of years.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:56 pm

Rev wrote:
THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST IMPRESSIVE OPENING WEEKEND EVER! #PANDEMIC

I still think Hunger Games is more impressive. Opening to Harry Potter size when the book didn't seem nearly as much of a thing was shocking on every level.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:57 pm

O wrote:
I'd agree on impressiveness but feel it may surpass Endgame a tad. This OW feels Spiderman 2002 level. There was an 11 year build up to End Game. This OW feels like it single handedly puts the direction of an entire industry in another direction. That was the feeling the original Spiderman left.

How so though? Isn't it just building upon what the previous Marvel movies accomplished? You could argue this is leftover appetite from Avengers considering the Doctor Strange association.

It certainly makes Tom Holland a much bigger star and MVP for both Disney and Sony going forward.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:59 pm
Extraordinary

Barrabás wrote:
O wrote:

How so though? Isn't it just building upon what the previous Marvel movies accomplished? You could argue this is leftover appetite from Avengers considering the Doctor Strange association.

It certainly makes Tom Holland a much bigger star and MVP for both Disney and Sony going forward.

To clarify, I was more impressed by the shock impact on the industry related to macro trends caused from the pandemic. Seeing a $90M OW over two years at best and then hopping to $260M. Definitely could see high $100's but this doubled Sony's lowball estimate. We all knew a spike was coming but it was probably $60M-100M more than even some of the most optimistic estimates. Seeing a tally like this with huge chunks of the population still not going to theaters made this a jaw drop moment.

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]