Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Jan 6 - 8 weekend 
Veteran

Post Jan 6 - 8 weekend
https://www.the-numbers.com/

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:20 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Post Re: Jan 6 - 8 weekend
I'll wait for the actual number before talking about record-breaking stuffs but I think it's fair to say, at least in North America, that cinema is back! Very strong non-holiday weekend for all movies, very healthy box office. Now the remaining question is will it sustain throughout the year...

Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:25 pm
Extraordinary

M3Gan's already grossed 4X its budget globally after 3 days so expect we'll be seeing her again for much of this decade. I'd love a M3Gan and Ex Machina cross over eventually too.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Great weekend indeed. Now can we stop with the short fucking windows already? It's not necessary.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:13 pm
Veteran

pookpooi wrote:
I'll wait for the actual number before talking about record-breaking stuffs but I think it's fair to say, at least in North America, that cinema is back! Very strong non-holiday weekend for all movies, very healthy box office. Now the remaining question is will it sustain throughout the year...

2023 is looking to be the first normal boxoffice year since 2019.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:14 pm
Veteran

Magic Mike wrote:
Great weekend indeed. Now can we stop with the short fucking windows already? It's not necessary.

Indeed. The boxoffice is returning to normalcy. Still, when you look at the films in the #5-10 spot on a given weekend, there are still way more sub-$1M grosses than what we saw pre-2020. Before 2020, the #10 movie on any weekend was around $3M (that's been the case since the 1990s actually)

Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:17 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

M3GAN is now a bona fide horror franchise. Expect sequels, prequels, spin offs, etc. I feel like this will be the new Conjuring. Very timely considering how AI is becoming part of the public conversation (Chat GPT and all that).

Good hold for Avatar. With some luck it will reach $650M~. Impressive run considering the soft opening and that it's been 13 years since the original. I think this shows audiences are actually digging the sequel big time and that should mean good things for Part 3.

The Whitney biopic bombing this hard is still flabbergasting to me. It won't even come $10M close to the unadjusted gross of the Tina Turner biopic from 1993, and Whitney had a much bigger career than Tina. Maybe it's because her story is a tragedy about drug addiction leading to death so no one wanted to sit through a downer (despite what the trailers tried to showcase), vs Tina whose story is one of overcoming abuse.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:47 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Avatar is racing towards $700m with that hold. With MLK weekend next week and President's Day weekend late in its run - it's looking strong. The only thing that may curtail it's late run is the onslaught of strong product in the March/April corridor.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:03 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Super happy for M3GAN! Mighty impressive weekend that should lead to a $100m. When horror films hit, they really hit and legs become superb. Amazing for a genre known for big second weekend drops.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:05 pm
Extraordinary

Here's a cool bit of trivia, I believe this may be the first time in at least 22 years the top 10 for the first 3 day of Jan is currently higher than the 3day for previous year's New Year's weekend. I saw Mojo had the first weekend of Jan 2001 above the last of Dec 2000, however two movies weren't listed the weekend earlier (Dude Where's My Car and Dracula) so record could very well be even earlier if at all.

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Whoa! Sensational for M3GAN. Over $30 million! I did not expect that at all.

Otto also did pretty good.

And I knew The Menu would eventually overtake Strange World. It has creeped up now and will do it within a few days. I'm glad for it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Puss pulled a 19% drop with actuals and M3Gan went up $200K!

Another random bit of trivia, Avatar 2 is only the 3rd film for Kate Winslet to top $80M+ since Titanic. She had the two Divergent movies. Otherwise Avatar 2 is only her second movie to make over $151M+, joining Titanic.

Leo's only had 4 movies make $150M+ with the last one 8 years ago with The Revenant. His only two movies to make more than $185M+ are Inception and Titanic, which is his only $300M+ movie.

Seems like Leo needs to join Avatar 4 or 5. Having Kate and Leo and James tag team again could help Avatar 4/5 get even more event factor (like it needs any more). Still an easy way for Leo do make lots of $ and have a big mega blockbuster with Kate again.

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I had no idea until this post that Kate was in Avatar 2 lol

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:30 pm
Romosexual!

MadGez wrote:
Avatar is racing towards $700m with that hold. With MLK weekend next week and President's Day weekend late in its run - it's looking strong. The only thing that may curtail it's late run is the onslaught of strong product in the March/April corridor.

and it GAINED an additional 138 theaters last weekend :funny: on it's 4th wknd.
wonder if that's common? where's O at :P

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:34 pm
Extraordinary

Rev wrote:
MadGez wrote:

When you have lots of movies underperform and suck at the box office (non-Puss and Avatar holiday openers), once the theaters legal obligations were done they dumped them to show more Avatar. :P

We've had sucky box office runs since the dawn of cinema so sure this has happened before many times!

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

O wrote:
Rev wrote:
MadGez wrote:

When you have lots of movies underperform and suck at the box office (non-Puss and Avatar holiday openers), once the theaters legal obligations were done they dumped them to show more Avatar. :P

We've had sucky box office runs since the dawn of cinema so sure this has happened before many times!

O - You called Puss in Boots success early, even during that underwhelming OW. How did you know?

Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:40 pm
Extraordinary

lilmac wrote:
O wrote:
Rev wrote:
MadGez wrote:

O - You called Puss in Boots success early, even during that underwhelming OW. How did you know?

That was around the same week I made the Whitney $150M club. :P

Holidays are very generous but the dailies were indicative early on of heavily depressed grosses for Puss. It's first Friday was much higher than it's opening day while Christmas was double. Even this past weekend, Puss' 18th day is still its 4th best day of its run and all three days of this past weekend are still all above Puss' 1st day. It's 4th weekend may be very close to its 1st.

Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Everyone already knows that the Way of Water has the second highest domestic grossing in the 4th weekend (excluding American Sniper, you know the reason).

But among all 41 films that report a grossing number for Jan 6-8 weekend to BoxOfficeMojo (39 for the-numbers), the Way of Water also has the second highest average gross per theatre ($10,561, more than 3 times of Puss in Boots's average) despite it has the most theatre (4,340), the only film that has higher average only has one theatre and it ranks in 29th.

Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:04 am
now we know

MadGez wrote:
I had no idea until this post that Kate was in Avatar 2 lol

Same here :funny:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

O wrote:
lilmac wrote:
O wrote:
Rev wrote:
MadGez wrote:

That was around the same week I made the Whitney $150M club. :P

Holidays are very generous but the dailies were indicative early on of heavily depressed grosses for Puss. It's first Friday was much higher than it's opening day while Christmas was double. Even this past weekend, Puss' 18th day is still its 4th best day of its run and all three days of this past weekend are still all above Puss' 1st day. It's 4th weekend may be very close to its 1st.

Ahhhh got it. Well, good call!

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]