Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lightyear Predictions 
Forum General

Post Re: Lightyear Predictions
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Also, Disney doesn't edit gay stuff out of movies for American conservatives. They do it to appease the Chinese and Russians, neither of whom will have this film released in their country. So it was probably an easy decision to counter some of the blowback to the Don't Say Gay bill.

Oh, I didn't realize Disney/Chapek could care less about conservatives.

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:43 am
The Kramer

Well they still want your money... But I don't see Don't Say Gay culture costing them millions of dollars like two of the biggest countries in the world would have ... in the before times that is.

But Russia isn't getting any films anytime soon and China just won't release any Disney films now. They'd rather their people watch their movies about The War To Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea.

Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:53 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Until 1967, there were still 16 states that continued to ban interracial marriage (some even interracial relations entirely) before it was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

The first ever interracial (white/black) kiss didn't happen on US TV until the following year (Star Trek) and was still considered very controversial, and NBC was concerned with how the Southern states would react. At the time (or 1967), only 20% of the country even approved of interracial relationships...

Thankfully, the scene was greeted positively by the majority that reached out to NBC afterward, and opened the door for not just acceptance of interracial relationships, but to also allow different types of people to be seen.

And that kiss almost didn't even happen because Nichelle Nichols (the black actress in the role, as well as the first black woman to even have a regular co-starring role on US TV) almost left the show until she met MLK who told her:

“You must not leave,” King told her. “You have opened a door that must not be allowed to close…you changed the face of television forever…For the first time, the world sees us as we should be seen, as equals, as intelligent people.”

This situation can be compared, I believe, to featuring gay kisses in media. It's been present for a solid 10 years or so on TV and movies (mostly once gay-marriage was ruled legal), and now support for LGBTQ protections (and gay-marriage) is up to 70% (even Republican support broke 50% recently), so it's not like Pixar is the first here. But they are helping by keeping that door open (or closet, if you want) by showing an even broader audience, because a loud minority is trying their hardest to shut it.

Simply showing different groups of people isn't pushing beliefs on others. I'm not religious, but I've watched many a TV show or movie (including "kids" shows) that feature religious characters, symbols, acts, etc., and I'm 100% okay with that. No issue whatsoever. Why would I have an issue with that? And IF it's still a problem for people, clearly the minority now in this case, they have the option to look away.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2