Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Weekend Estimates 
Extraordinary

Post Weekend Estimates
Dune - 40.1m
Halloween Kills - 14.1m (71% drop)

Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:59 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Weekend Estimates
WW overall Dune is at $220.7m, will have no problem crossing $300m but we'll see how high it can get.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:07 pm
The Dark Knight

That would be pretty good for Dune. Reviews are great so far so we'll see how it holds.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:08 pm
Forum General

HK cratered. Figured it would do a bit better since actual Halloween is a week away.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:29 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Solid opening especially considering the HBO Max availability. I think it could've done $50m+ without HBO Max. Maybe $60m+ pre-COVID.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Pretty much right at that "good enough" mark. This is also the biggest opening weekend for Warner Bros. since... Joker, right? Good for them (finally).

Also just saw that China has a film, The Battle at Lake Changjin, that may be on track for $900 million+?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm actually happy for WB. They more than any studio took ones for the team to help the other studios know when it was safe to bring movies back. They dealt with the brunt of the bad press too (pre ScarJo Disney case) and lost a huge amount of money to help other studios save theirs. They do deserve a few big successes.

If Dune can do $40 M, feeling there's a slim but not impossible chance at Matrix making a play for $100M.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I think Dune will top out around $90m which is OK considering.

HK may also struggle to $100m

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:21 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Good number for Dune while a little more than I expected it's definitely not a great opening.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:55 pm
Quality is a great business plan

One of the BO insiders is saying 10m+ sunday. So its actuals will be higher than estimates and could signify better than normal legs for a movie available for free on HBO. I am thinking it will squeak by 100m. Is this is a great number? definitely not but considering the shitty circumstances its in due to the studio, it has done well enough to justify a sequel.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 pm
Extraordinary

Yep, I'm seeing $9.75m+ for Sunday...

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Into the fray

So I guess $41m actuals? Those are some pretty decent holds

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:56 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

So I guess any number that Dune does we will label is good, decent, pretty decent, pretty good and other similar adjectives.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:44 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I would say this is a good opening period. I was afraid of it getting Golden Compass'd with an OW around $25m.

Over $40m with no signs of severe frontloading despite HBO Max + COVID is good. That's the same range as Mad Max Fury Road. Also since this plays to a more coastal audience vs middle america dumb blockbuster crowd, I feel like the COVID effect is more severe, people take it more seriously in the coastal cities. Also a more high brow educated audience who also are more COVID sensitive.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:37 pm
Extraordinary

Too bad WB probably won't report weekday #s, they may be strong, premium screens around me are pretty full for tonight

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

This is a good opening it's just the budget was too high

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 pm
The Kramer

Jack Sparrow wrote:
So I guess any number that Dune does we will label is good, decent, pretty decent, pretty good and other similar adjectives.
Any movie with former wrestlers just makes your blood boil doesn't it?

There's one thing that'll fix that - Hell In A Cell! :yar: :yoda:

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:02 pm
The Kramer

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Too bad WB probably won't report weekday #s, they may be strong, premium screens around me are pretty full for tonight
Maybe they will? 'Dune didn't bomb!' has become part of the marketing. :funny:

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

:funny: This is a decent opening but the expectations were really high before it opened and now that it's not meeting those the focus has shifted to "all things considered". The expectations are again shifting to "oh this day was good it will have better than average legs" and for last few movies we compared to big openers and after BW but suddenly we are comparing this to GvK and other WB movies to make comparisons easier. The market has evolved since June and it's obvious this would have done better than movies when theaters were still struggling. Anything below $160m domestic for this movie is still a disappointment. That's not even including the marketing budget.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Maybe they will? 'Dune didn't bomb!' has become part of the marketing. :funny:

Yeah they most likely will report weekday numbers. From what I remember we got those for last few movies.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm
Extraordinary

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

:funny: This is a decent opening but the expectations were really high before it opened and now that it's not meeting those the focus has shifted to "all things considered". The expectations are again shifting to "oh this day was good it will have better than average legs" and for last few movies we compared to big openers and after BW but suddenly we are comparing this to GvK and other WB movies to make comparisons easier. The market has evolved since June and it's obvious this would have done better than movies when theaters were still struggling. Anything below $160m domestic for this movie is still a disappointment. That's not even including the marketing budget.

Huh? Was anyone here expecting an opening over 40m? Edit: oh I guess Keyser and the presales discussion but other than that I don't think anyone was expecting 40m+.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

4 out of 10 people in our poll voted over $40m and many were just expecting it to come close to $40m. How is meeting those expectations considered a great opening "all things considered". Before the weekend it was also thought to open over Bond then presales started with $50m and with the opening the numbers kept going down aside from this Sunday and sure enough the sentiments are "it will have better than average legs because of Sunday".

As for the sequel I just don't think WB will skip this one. Given the strength in OS numbers and this being one of their biggest WW (if not THE biggest) total since 2020 it's guaranteed to get a to sequel so let's not keep defining these decent numbers as good/great to justify sequel, no WB executive will read KJ thread to decide sequel to their mega budgeted franchise. As for me yes I would like to have a sequel and would go their OW does that mean I liked the movie - Maybe. Does this mean I am a hater - that's for individual to decide. Do all these ramblings mean these numbers are great/good/pretty decent - I'd say meeting expectations.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:16 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Its OD PS was extraordinary. That more than 20% of overall sales. That was terrible. I guess that had to be expected for a movie with built in fanbase and hybrid release. That said even at most optimistic I thought it had a shot at 50m even maintaining the pace of anemic Bond. But it did way worse than that.

Still all things considered this number is not bad.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:00 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Again your definition of “all” is only like 2 things.

I personally think it’s a great number for it. But it’s still a flop.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Any weekday estimates for Dune? Looks like WB isn't going to report weekday numbers...ugh

Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next