Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 DUNE: What Were They Thinking? 
Superfreak

Post DUNE: What Were They Thinking?
Aside from that the will be an epic money loser, the film is SO SLOW! Holy shit is it boring. Jason Momoa's brochacho charisma livens it briefly and gives the film they only sense of fun it has. Maybe make an Idaho prequel? This is BR49 all over again. Beautiful to look at but shockingly not engaging and unexciting.

The money could have been spent on so many other more commercially friendly projects. A live action IRON GIANT film, another CAVILL SUPERMAN film, a legitimate take on PEARL HARBOR, so many thing... Given the enormous costs, have to ask - WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:24 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: DUNE: What Were They Thinking?
They were thinking Lord of the Rings / Game of Thrones money and Denis was the hot name coming off Arrival. If it makes ~$45M opening in the pandemic / day & date era then I think $200M+ would have been easily achievable in the before times, especially as the big December movie. Would have definitely been profitable. WOM might be another story since it was being advertised as a fast paced adventure film (atleast during recent sports broadcasts.)

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

This was pretty risky. I don't think the reward was worth the risk of bombing (I always worry about sand movies) which they managed to avoid in part due to having the right lead. This should have been a tv series.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:42 pm
Extraordinary

I liked the movie but I'm quite surprised the reception seems pretty good so far. I'm probably gonna see it again but characters in the film are pretty flat besides Mamoa and Lady Jessica. Like does Chalamet's Paul even have any noteworthy characteristics...? Not really. What makes Game of Thrones and LotR is its characters. Dune's strengths are mostly techinical.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:09 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Shack wrote:
This was pretty risky. I don't think the reward was worth the risk of bombing (I always worry about sand movies) which they managed to avoid in part due to having the right lead. This should have been a tv series.

I actually agree, this could've been the next Game of Thrones with a series covering the entire book series. It would've helped to break down the hyper dense mythology of the world too. Now we will be lucky to get the first two books adapted if that.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:23 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I liked the movie but I'm quite surprised the reception seems pretty good so far. I'm probably gonna see it again but characters in the film are pretty flat besides Mamoa and Lady Jessica. Like does Chalamet's Paul even have any noteworthy characteristics...? Not really. What makes Game of Thrones and LotR is its characters. Dune's strengths are mostly techinical.

That's because most of his development happens in the second half of the book. In the first half he's

Spoiler: show
pretty much going through what other people tell him to do while having visions of a violent jihad in the future (I guess the movie changed it to 'crusade' to avoid Warner Bros studios getting Charlie Hebdo'd), then on the run until he meets the fremen, not sure how the movie ends as I haven't watched yet but in the book as soon as he meets the fremen, he has to make big decisions with the foresight of his presience, which is a pretty fascinating conflict in the book and where the meat of his character lies

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:26 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

It was a risky project to begin with but in this day and age there has to be balance between fun, action and investment in characters along with the mystery. With Dune they want to create the mystery but it's not involving and characters don't evolve as the movie focuses a lot of what's going on outside of the characters (in every second scene the camera focuses on visuals or objects around as if it's an arthouse project with some haunting elements). There is no fun elements as everything is supposed to be serious, the family, the friendship aspects all are being blocked by serious talks of visions which are not detailed but come in frequently as flashbacks. Denis is unable to build the emotional stakes with these characters as we never once see the cruelty done to Fremen on screen other than brief opening monologue. (how are the villains bad? Just because they look ugly? Or because they carry a haunting music when they appear?) What are you fighting for? So they mine portions of your vast dessert big deal? It's so huge you can just move around? All these things would be clearer to people who read the books but it's not put well on screen. I'm fine with someone explaining these to me now but the movie definitely didn't bring those points which is why I feel the general audience would not be invested in this. Yes the WoM will be good but how many will turn up for part 2?

Also based on what I'm reading it feels like they were not even able to adapt it very well because of the complex nature of its characters and material.

Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:24 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Maybe it should have been a TV series or limited series.

Much like The Many Saints of Newark would have worked better as a series.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]