Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Movie theaters advertising themselves 
The Kramer

Post Movie theaters advertising themselves
Is it really necessary to watch a whole ad about how great movie theaters are while I am already sitting in a movie theater? Like if they wanna break out the big bucks to put Nicole Kidman in a superbowl ad that is all well and good, but delaying No Time To Die by another five minutes to sell me something I already have is stupid.

To non-American KJers: are you getting these ads too? Is it only AMC?

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:01 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Movie theaters advertising themselves
This happened in Singapore between February to April when theaters restarted but I haven't seen it since June in any theater chains here.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:13 pm
Extraordinary

I think people on this forum are not mainstream moviegoers (pre-pandemic). We end up seeing a lot more movies than average moviegoers, see or know about the Oscar movies that most of the population don't care about or know about, etc.

For certain films like Bond, I do think there is some value because it gets mainstream moviegoers excited who may not show up very often to films. It may encourage them to watch more.

I agree though, the 5 min wait is annoying so commercials should be capped. Focus should also be on other medium off of TV.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Marcus Theatres intro is always so cringey

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:12 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Honestly like most advertising there's probably zero data as to whether or not these ads bring people back more often. It's more likely that some big ad firm convinced a big chain that this would be a great thing to do because of x and y and scammed them into spending millions, and then all the other theatre chains started doing it too because advertising is really based on companies getting FOMO. There's a general trend for businesses to re-advertise themselves to customers who already bought in. Airlines do it too, you know how every in-flight security video also seems to be an ad for how sleek and efficient and lovely the airline itself is? There's another ad firm behind that. Does it bring back more air travellers? Who the fuck knows. It's not like people have a choice if they want to go somewhere 500 miles away.

The entire world of advertising is kind of scam crapshoot. Like OP said, the people sitting in the theatre are already perfectly happy being there and having paid for their movie.

Source: used to work in marketing for one of the big Hwood studios, currently work in marketing for a big international conglomerate and part of my job is occasionally convincing the big bosses internally that we are totally necessary and we would completely go broke without our wonderful expertise

Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:46 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

But in your case the expertise is wonderful Barrabas :thumbsup:

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 pm
Forum General

zwackerm wrote:
Marcus Theatres intro is always so cringey

Almost always. I appreciate the "thank you" sentiment, but if you're going to film an intro, at least come up with something entertaining.

I don't care how many trailers are before a movie, but when the start time hits and the lights go down, I don't want to be watching non-movie related ads. That annoys me.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

We always get those non movie related ads in one of our biggest movie chains here as well. Movie starts almost 20 minutes after the start time does we get only 3 movie trailers before. I'll just go in late most times due to the fact that I've already watched most trailers before plus 20 minutes is a very long time to get comfortable.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:35 pm
Veteran

I would be ok with the theater commercials if it reduced the number of trailers by one. It's typically north of 20 minutes after start time before the movie actually starts.

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 am
The Kramer

Had to go to a regal for NWH. No Nicole Kidman, but we did get Matt Damon talking about how fortune favors the bold and people with no balls will never get anywhere. Here I am thinking "wow I'm a real hero for attending this movie" then - CRYPTO.COM . Whatttttt???? This wasn't just at the beginning or end either. It was about 20 minutes in, after the Sonic 2 trailer ... and then they went back to showing more trailers! Uncharted and Morbius to be exact. Is sneaking normal ads into preview ok now so long as they have A-listers in them?????

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:03 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's a common practice here. Surprisingly we do not get ads on TV lol.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:05 am
Romosexual!

The best thing about the previews/ads being soo fucking long now :lol: is that I can take my sweet ass time getting to the theater with no worries. The previews give me an extra 20-30 minutes to get to my seat.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:11 am
Extraordinary

My theater groaned when the Nicole Kidman AMC ad started playing lolol they made it shorter though so ok. It really isn't necessary though. Show that shit on TV not to the audience who already paid to see a movie.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:06 pm
Veteran

I aim for showtime + 20 minutes. That model works well for me.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]