Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Christopher Nolan's "Oppenheimer" - July 21, 2023 
Superfreak

Post Re: Christopher Nolan's "Oppenheimer" - July 21, 2023
zwackerm wrote:
I’d never even heard of Josh Hartnett till Excel became obsessed with him

Josh Hartnett is a fascinating career in the greater context of how much Hollywood and the business has changed in the last 25 years. The would-be film producer in me saw what every other film producer saw - a male-model type of handsomeness matched legitimate dramatic and comedy skills, wrapped in a likable, low-key, non-fame seeking personality. He was exactly the type of person a studio could build up as a big time presence in Hollywood. The guy was offered $100m in 2003 to play Superman in a never made film and was also Nolan's (or probably the studio as Nolan was still unproven) first choice to play Batman in the TDK trilogy.

As a younger film business DC fan in the early 2000s, I am still irritated that he didn't say yes to JJ Abrams Superman film. They had Anthony Hopkins as Jor-el, Robert Downey Jr as Luthor, ScarJo as Lois Lane, and Shia LaBuff as Jimmy Olsen all signed and delivered! They just needed Josh Hartnett to accept $100m! in 2003 dollars to make the movie. But he said no and moved back to Idaho...that movie would have been a huge hit.

Back in the late 1990s/early 2000s, fans/students of the film business were closely watching the people being groomed as the next 'stars'. The 1980s and 1990s were obviously dominated by Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt, etc. Young Hollywood in late 1990s saw DiCaprio completely explode post Titanic, but then he disappeared for 5 years & Ben Affleck (and Matt Damon, to a lesser extent) stole his thunder. Of course, DiCaprio returned in 2002 and proceed blow up right as Affleck's career died (prior to his he 2010 and beyond comeback).

There were a TON of younger actors who achieved some fame in late 1990s teen movies that studios were trying to groom as the next big star. Around 2000, the group consisted of many actors and they were all pretty much on equal footing - Heath Ledger, Freddie Prinze Jr, Ryan Phillippe, Paul walker, Wes Bentley, Billy Cudrup, James Marsden, Chris Klein, Sean William Scott, Ashton kitchen, Christian Bale, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hayden Christenson, and Josh Hartnett. Some of men in this group were better looking than others, some better with draw, some better with comedy, etc.

Out of every name on that list, nobody received a bigger studio push than Josh Hartnett. He was a stand-out in some smaller films in 1998-1999. Pearl Harbor is the most high profile production in 2 year span (summer 1999-summer 2001) and the #2 lead - behind Ben Affleck - was the most obvious "star making", in-demand role of the year. When Hartnett won it, it was ahead of every other aforementioned actor. Harbor was media-frenzy release and while the reception to the film was largely terrible, it left a giant pop-culture footprint in it's wake and Hartnett was the film's breakout star. Jerry Bruckheimer had already lined him up as the face of the war epic BLACK HAWK DOWN for later that year.

The result of those 2 films in 6 months was fame explosion that was as meteoric of a rise as any that I can recall with the exception of DiCaprio post-Titanic. His star power was in a very strange space where he had appeal to a teen female audience much like a Harry Styles or Shawn Mendes type of singer yet he was an actor who was pursuing serious films. It was beyond the type of "Oh Henry Cavill/Chris Evans are handsome" type of thing. I still remember reading the headlines for when the ridiculous "40 days and nights" was a clear cut hit exclusively on his name.

The epic studio push (and media push by extension) made him feel a bit forced on pop culture, but his name was everywhere. He was offered the Batman and Superman roles, David Fincher cast him The Black Dahlia, he originally Heath Ledger's role in Brokeback Mountain but had to drop to make TBD, he was the initial choice for Orlando Bloom's character in TROY, etc. Strangely enough, the attention was far too much for him and he moved out of LA back to the midwest right smack in the middle of his career eruption. By late 2003, just 2 years removed from his fame explosion, the entire industry was aware that Hartnett wanted no part in major franchise films that were clearly coming to dominate the industry and he started to black listed. He still headlined some prominent films but the media push was over.

Robert Pattinson's post-Twilight/pre-Tenet/Batman career is a pretty good analogy for Hartnett. A guy who was a truly massive presence in pop culture for a period of time who makes a serious effort to avoid the spotlight.

MadGez wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
I’d never even heard of Josh Hartnett till Excel became obsessed with him

:funny:

Around 2001 Hollywood was pushing him as the next big thing but he never really caught on. Seems like he’s getting some of the limelight of late.

I would lump him with a handful of other actors, similar to Brendan Fraser, who were popular, well-received screen presences but stayed away from the major franchise film space. They are a large enough name and strong enough talent to provide some easy value for film makers today.

Algren wrote:
Yeah, and he was never an A-lister.

He's basically a good nostalgic choice for males of my generation. People that are fond of movies like The Faculty, Pearl Harbor, 30 Days of Night, Black Hawk Down, and Lucky Number Slevin. These people are probably the core audience for Oppenheimer, especially since it's Nolan directing it and not, say, Ron Howard or Terence Malick.

He was definitely an A-list name from a media perspective. There was a time where he mentioned as A-list along side Tom Cruise and Matt Damon and nobody thought twice of the statement. But I would agree that in reality, his actual drawing power at the box office was definitely more questionable.

That said....has Hartnett said yes to Nolan's Batman or Abrams Superman, those are both enormous box office successes and I would guess he is still one of the most famous actors on the planet as a result.

Sat May 06, 2023 2:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think Hartnett receding was kind of on purpose, but I'm not sure his career would have blossomed any more than Orlando Bloom's after the early 2000s anyway. He also looked too much like Kutcher. I prefer early Brendan Fraser to prettyboys like Hartnett and Bloom.

Sat May 06, 2023 2:43 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
I think Hartnett receding was kind of on purpose, but I'm not sure his career would have blossomed any more than Orlando Bloom's after the early 2000s anyway. He also looked too much like Kutcher.

A few years back, someone on Twitter made a montage of pictures showing Josh Hartnett standing with a bunch other famous people like Rihanna, Prince William and Kate Middleton, Ben Affleck, Scarlett Johansson, Gisele Bundchen, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, etc and asked people under the age of 18 who this person was...and a bunch of people responded "Ashton Kutcher" :funny: Hartnett was obviously a much more serious, less goofy screen presence than Kutcher.

Hartnett wanted no part of the franchise film game right as it started its stranglehold on the industry. Not a great position to put himself in career wise. He was definitely taken more seriously than Orlando Bloom, though. There is an alternate universe where he makes a decisive leap from famous teen heart throb to serious box office titan:

-Winter: David Fincher's The BLACK DAHLIA

-Summer: Wolfgang Peterson's TROY

-Summer: Christopher Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS (Hartnett, instead of Bale, makes this film much more relevant to media/pop culture and probably added $50m to it's domestic gross and another $50-75m to its overseas gross)
-Winter: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN opposite Joaquin Phoenix

-Summer: The Dark Knight

That sequence of events probably buys him fame and power that would still exist to this day.

Sat May 06, 2023 2:57 pm
The Kramer

Did you really just take Bale out of The Dark Knight?

Hartnett was the Josh Lucas / Taylor Kitsch of his time. A pretty boy that was rejected because he was shoved in the audience's face. His biggest movie after PH was about how he had so much sex that he had to give up sex only to have every girl in his life try to have sex with him. That's a heel move. He was the Sammy Guevera of Hollywood. Not saying he was a bad actor, but he was definitely not some generarional talent that got squandered by bad luck lol.

Sat May 06, 2023 3:31 pm
Superfreak

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Did you really just take Bale out of The Dark Knight?

Hartnett was the Josh Lucas / Taylor Kitsch of his time. A pretty boy that was rejected because he was shoved in the audience's face. His biggest movie after PH was about how he had so much sex that he had to give up sex only to have every girl in his life try to have sex with him. That's a heel move. He was the Sammy Guevera of Hollywood. Not saying he was a bad actor, but he was definitely not some generarional talent that got squandered by bad luck lol.

I have zero horse in this race, and find these with the midwestern vibe of Hartnett, Kevin Costner, or even Brad Pitt to be pretty bland, but that isn't true at all. Josh Lucas was never the headline of major films nor did teen girls ever hang his posters in their rooms. Taylor Kitsch was offered what major films? Stop. Hartnett, at his peak, was much more famous than those 2 people. Those are ridiculous comparisons. :funny:

Check out this New York Times article from spring 2002:
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/17/movi ... deals.html

As for Batman, Hartnett was a MUCH larger draw around the time of Batman Begins than Christian Bale. Not even comparable. Hartnett wasn't offered that enormous contract because he was a nobody with no fan base. Feb 2002 "Bankability Metric" conducted by The Hollywood Reporter July-September 2001 shows Hartnett's enormous leap in influence, from a 6 in 1999 to 50 summer 2001 and "over 70" in spring 2002. Will Smith was an 89 by comparison, smack in his prime.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bankable-stars/

I can't think of an accurate modern comparison for his 2 year fame explosion as the industry functions so differently. Better comparisons are probably with singers ala a Shawn Mendes type.

Sat May 06, 2023 5:03 pm
now we know

Excel wrote:
As for Batman, Hartnett was a MUCH larger draw around the time of Batman Begins than Christian Bale.

Nah. Hartnett had already nosedived by 2005, so much so that Lucky Number Slevin and 30 Days of Night (in 2006 and 07) felt like mini-comeback vehicles for him. Hollywood Homicide in 2003 already indicated he was on a downward trend.

Hartnett was a draw for such a short time between 1998 and 2002, and to varying degrees within those four years. His peak was 2001.

Bale, on the other hand, while admittedly not a huge draw either, was a stock on the up after Reign of Fire, Equilibrium, and The Machinist.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat May 06, 2023 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Algren wrote:
Excel wrote:
As for Batman, Hartnett was a MUCH larger draw around the time of Batman Begins than Christian Bale.

Nah. Hartnett had already nosedived by 2005, so much so that Lucky Number Slevin and 30 Days of Night (in 2006 and 07) felt like mini-comeback vehicles for him. Hollywood Homicide in 2003 already indicated he was on a downward trend.

Hartnett was a draw for such a short time between 1998 and 2002, and to varying degrees within those four years. His peak was 2001.

Bale, on the other hand, while admittedly not a huge draw either, was a stock on the up after Reign of Fire, Equilibrium, and The Machinist.

People need to remember the time. It is much more than simply looking at their film discography. Hartnett personally received the entire brunt of the Jerry Bruckheimer media machine for basically an entire year. The free press he received in this period made his name 10x more famous than Bale, Gyllenhaal, Bloom, etc.

You're right that was clearly trending downward his 2001-2002 level, but he was still extremely famous in 2005. Pairing that level of fame with a role as large as Batman would have generated a ton of added buzz that the film did not receive with the far less known Christian Bale. 2005's Sin City was only made in the first place because Hartnett agreed to appear in the opening for Robert Rodriguez and filmed it in advance - Hartnett's presence in the clip was what got that film greenly. Guy still had serious sway. Hartnett was without question a much larger name than Christian Bale in 2005. They're not even comparable. Reign of Fire was huge flop, nobody in the public forum has seen either of the other 2 that you mention. Bale was just another name from that huge list of "young actors", Hartnett was unofficially crowned "Next Big Star" in 2002.

In summer 2005, the only young actors whose name were in Hartnett's fame zip code was Heath Ledger, who was also trending down quickly after a strong of flops. Jake Gyllenhaal was trending upwards after Day After Tomorrow & Orlando Bloom was popular, albeit with little true enthusiasm, after LOTR and Pirates 1.

2006 and 2007 were deemed "comeback" years for Hartnett because everyone knew he turned down massive offers for Batman and Superman which caused his agent to drop him. It isn't like his fame level tanked with the public, it was that studios were hesitant towards someone who wouldn't commit after having the red carpet rolled out for them. Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that someone like Robert Pattison, who like Hartnett, disliked the fame but wanted a career making smaller out films, checked Hartnett's career path and realized he needs to the occasional tentpole to remain relevant.

The 2000s were a very, very interesting time for "Young Hollywood". Ben Affleck was absolutely the new Tom Cruise, until his career absolutely imploded. People like Jude Law, Hartnett, and Rachel McAdams hard runs were it felt like all of Hollywood forced them on the public with varying degrees of staying power. So many names fizzled out. As 2010 rolled around, the biggest names were, basically, the biggest names from the late 1990s.

Sat May 06, 2023 7:12 pm
The Kramer

Ok, I'll concede on Black Hawk Down cause that was a big hit that he was lead in. But Lucas and Kitsch did have some very popular supporting roles, just like Hartnett, before flaming out with Stealth/Poseidon and John Carter / Battleship.

Sun May 07, 2023 12:30 am
Extraordinary

Not sure how much I buy into the bankability end. BHD was Scott's follow up to Gladiator and Hannibal (at the time became the #3 OW of all time). Lots of awards buzz and prestige too with a Christmas run.

PH was Bruckheimer + 60th anniversary + Memorial Day spectacle.

Maybe 25% actor driven?

Sun May 07, 2023 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Excel wrote:
People like Jude Law, Hartnett, and Rachel McAdams

He is more in the Kate Bosworth class

Sun May 07, 2023 1:16 am
Superfreak

I think some are confusing fame for bankability, though in truly high profile roles, fame is parlayed into buzz for the film that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Sun May 07, 2023 3:36 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I always thought Josh Hartnett just didn't have enough screen presence to be a movie star, regardless of acting chops. He also looked too generic. Male movie stars tend to be very handsome of course, but also memorable. Josh Hartnett just looked like generic Abercrombie model.

Sun May 07, 2023 10:15 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

O wrote:
Not sure how much I buy into the bankability end. BHD was Scott's follow up to Gladiator and Hannibal (at the time became the #3 OW of all time). Lots of awards buzz and prestige too with a Christmas run.

PH was Bruckheimer + 60th anniversary + Memorial Day spectacle.

Maybe 25% actor driven?

I'd say that or less. BHD was purely a timely war film (right after 9/11) by Ridley Scott who was red hot at the time. I actually forgot he was in it.

PH was Michael Bay and he was one of the 3 core characters but it's more remembered as an Affleck film IMO. PH was a bit of a disappointment both critically and commercially too.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon May 08, 2023 12:37 am
Quality is a great business plan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPbbksJxIg

Brilliant trailer. Cant wait to see this in the biggest Imax screen possible.

I used to be shawman.

Mon May 08, 2023 10:03 am
Romosexual!

Keyser Söze wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPbbksJxIg

Brilliant trailer. Cant wait to see this in the biggest Imax screen possible.

SHOT IN IMAX!!! :thumbsup: for sure seeing it in IMAX the first time

Mon May 08, 2023 11:38 am
Extraordinary

Definitely getting $200M+ vibes from this. Would be Nolan's biggest since TDKR.

Mon May 08, 2023 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Barrabás wrote:
I always thought Josh Hartnett just didn't have enough screen presence to be a movie star, regardless of acting chops. He also looked too generic. Male movie stars tend to be very handsome of course, but also memorable. Josh Hartnett just looked like generic Abercrombie model.

The low-key midwestern vibe is the definition of bland. Lets be honest, it's Brad Pitt in most of his work, Kevin Costner too. Yellowstone type characters are great for these guys.

MadGez wrote:
I'd say that or less. BHD was purely a timely war film (right after 9/11) by Ridley Scott who was red hot at the time. I actually forgot he was in it.

BHD was def. well-timed, but it was a high-profile film with Hartnett front and center for the marketing campaign. It was also extremely well received.

Quote:
PH was Michael Bay and he was one of the 3 core characters but it's more remembered as an Affleck film IMO. PH was a bit of a disappointment both critically and commercially too.

This convo got me down far too big of a rabbit over the other day to see if I was misremembering, but I'm not. The bolded was definitely the case going into the film, but coming out, its was well know that Hartnett was the big break out. Women thought he was way hotter than Affleck, he got the MTV Best Guy Award nomination over Affleck and received far more media attention post release. A google of Josh Hartnett 2001 is an avalanche of magazines covers and the media hyping up like he was the LeBron James of young Hollywood. There was a hyperbole used with him that was not used with any other actors within the media. The media explosion made him more famous than other actor under 25, clearly everyone assumed this would be parlayed into other major roles to solidify him for decades to come. Check the comments of this tiktok video asking women who they would pick out of the 2 of them.

https://www.tiktok.com/@rosenetflixx/vi ... 3586251874

Guy was in the drivers seat for major long term success but it just wasn't his thing.

Mon May 08, 2023 6:57 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I hate trailers that try to make dramas action packed. You'd think this had as much action even at the level of Interstellar. Probably mid to high 40s opening.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon May 08, 2023 8:53 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Thegun wrote:
I hate trailers that try to make dramas action packed. You'd think this had as much action even at the level of Interstellar. Probably mid to high 40s opening.

This lol

But the new trailer is a lot better, the "we've got to beat the Nazis to making this bomb" stakes are clearly spelled out this time.

Tue May 09, 2023 6:03 pm

They are starting ticket sales on June 1st and so this like Nope from Universal last year will have a long presale cycle. I will be able to confirm if interest is there for a 3 hour drama from Nolan.

I used to be shawman.

Sat May 20, 2023 11:16 pm
Begging Naked

Looks like the only tickets on sale are for the 70mm/IMAX screenings? I will be curious to see how quickly those sell though, I imagine the most ardent Nolan fanboys will be rushing to get their tickets. (ETA: just checked Atom in my area, where one IMAX and one Dolby screening in area have some showtimes on sale; hmm)

Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:34 am
Profile WWW
now we know

How do you guys say the title, Opp'n'hymer or Open'hymer?

Because I naturally say the former but I heard someone say the latter the other day so I just wondered..

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

It’s Oppenheimer like opera or operation

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:11 am

Very limited shows listed so far. But lincoln square imax is already quite busy. I expect it to be near sellout in few hours.

I used to be shawman.

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:13 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
It’s Oppenheimer like opera or operation

I thought so.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA