Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Friday #s (DEH < ITH) 
Veteran

Post Friday #s (DEH < ITH)
The fact DEH failed to make #1 despite having previews inflated is embarrassing. Sub-20m total is locked.

Free Guy could make it to $130m, but it will certainly gross more than Jungle Cruise.

Shang-Chi should be able to beat Bad Boys 4 Life, but $200m is locked no matter what.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office- ... 2021/09/24

https://deadline.com/2021/09/dear-evan- ... 234843679/

Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Friday #s (DEH < ITH)
Actually disappointed by that Shang Chi number a bit. If it held well this weekend, it had a chance at $250 m. That looks like a stretch now. Still an amazing performance but would have liked it to stabilize more than last weekend's drop.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Nice fir Candyman

Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:43 pm
Extraordinary

Lol I'm glad it didn't open above ITH.

Free Guy and Jungle Cruise just keep chugging along. Interested to see how everything holds next weekend. Shang-Chi to 200m though, first in foreeeeeever so crazy

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

Sad for state of musicals. I used to think they didn't make enough.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:10 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The usual three from Disney are doing well. I did expect SC to hold better and get to $250m but that doesn't look good anymore with Carnage releasing next weekend.

Poor for DEH but it was clear after those preview numbers which side it was going. Tammy Faye isn't doing hot as well.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:02 pm
Extraordinary

I don't want to make a new thread but WWW with Evan Hansen then?

Bad reviews?
Too old an actor to play Evan Hansen in the movie version?
Too dark and gloomy for times where people want lighter more uplifting movies?

Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

O wrote:
I don't want to make a new thread but WWW with Evan Hansen then?

Bad reviews?
Too old an actor to play Evan Hansen in the movie version?
Too dark and gloomy for times where people want lighter more uplifting movies?

Yeah no need for thread because all of those answers are correct lol. Plus the movie just isn't good.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:09 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I don't think Ben Platt was a bad choice. He played Evan Hansen in the music and won a Tony for the role just a few years ago. And he seems to be very good in the film adaptation too. Does he look like a teen? No. But you can get around this on stage more so than on screen. They may have even lost some fans of the musical if they cast someone else in the role.

Everyone is wanting Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth to reprise their roles in Wicked, but their characters are young in the musical (teenagers or very young adults). Two 55-year-olds reprising their roles in college, in particular, is going to seem weird, too. It'll be a fantasy film and can be given more leeway there, but still, they're not going to "look" right on screen if they get cast. But if they don't get cast, fans may get pissed and become uninterested in the film. *shrug*

Evan Hansen, I believe, failed not necessarily due to the bad reviews (they probably just kept anyone debating on seeing it away), but because it's just not the sort of film people want to see right now--at least not in theaters.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

He looked like a teen in the trailer to me

A suicide musical is a tough sell, good reviews probably were required

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes I didn't have problem with Platt's looks but I know he is old and the controversy surrounding it so it bothered me a little. As someone mentioned in the EAC if they cast someone else then they might have lost some fans though in this case it might have been better (who knows how it will do in streaming). The songs that work on stage do not translate well(at all) in the movie and that is why I believe a lot of audience and critics didn't connect with the experience.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:32 pm
Extraordinary

WKND #'s from BOG:

ShangChi $13.3M/$196.5M -39%, global $363.4M
DearEvanHansen $7.5M
FreeGuy $4.1M/$114.1M -18.8%
Candyman $2.5M/$56.8M -29.0%
CryMacho $2.1M/$8.3M -53.2
JungleCruise $1.7M/$114.9M -17.1%
Malignant $1.5M/$12.3M -45.5%
Copshop $1.3M/$4.5M -45.4%
PawPatrol $1.1M/$38.8M -35.0%
LoveStory $770k/$1.1M from 232 theaters

Top 10: $35.9M

Last edited by O on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Shang-Chi needs a 3.7 multiplier to beat Doctor Strange. Not impossible but it'll probably fall right under. Still it's a great gross to see.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:25 am
Extraordinary

DEH looks even worse compared to ITH since it was playing only in theaters compared to streaming/theaters concurrently.

Big question now is will audiences embrace Spielberg's West Side Story as the next big musical?

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
I don't think Ben Platt was a bad choice. He played Evan Hansen in the music and won a Tony for the role just a few years ago. And he seems to be very good in the film adaptation too. Does he look like a teen? No. But you can get around this on stage more so than on screen. They may have even lost some fans of the musical if they cast someone else in the role.

Everyone is wanting Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth to reprise their roles in Wicked, but their characters are young in the musical (teenagers or very young adults). Two 55-year-olds reprising their roles in college, in particular, is going to seem weird, too. It'll be a fantasy film and can be given more leeway there, but still, they're not going to "look" right on screen if they get cast. But if they don't get cast, fans may get pissed and become uninterested in the film. *shrug*

Evan Hansen, I believe, failed not necessarily due to the bad reviews (they probably just kept anyone debating on seeing it away), but because it's just not the sort of film people want to see right now--at least not in theaters.

I think the people who want Menzel and Chenoweth cast are a vocal minority, and they just need to cast younger actors who are actually talented.

Maybe Olivia Rodrigo and Billie Eilish lol.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 am
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
Corpse wrote:

I think the people who want Menzel and Chenoweth cast are a vocal minority, and they just need to cast younger actors who are actually talented.

Maybe Olivia Rodrigo and Billie Eilish lol.

You're actually not that far off. Cinderella on Amazon Prime cast Camila Cabello as the lead and based on some figures I quickly Googled it was the most watched VOD movie over Labor Day and best results for a musical in 2021 and only behind Hamilton in 2020 in terms of households who watched. There's a reason Billie Eilish's content is all over Disney+ and Apple+ now, they know who pull in audiences.

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]