Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Oct 1-3 Predictions 

What will Venom open with?
90m+ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
80-89m 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
70-79m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
60-69m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50-59m 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
40-49m 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
30-39m 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
20-29m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sub 20m 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Oct 1-3 Predictions 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Oct 1-3 Predictions
Venom as a character is on on par with Deadpool. Makes sense his movies would be review proof.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:05 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Venom as a BO IP is nowhere close to Deadpool and Deadpool isn't review proof we just haven't had a Deadpool movie with this poor reviews.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:45 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'll be pleasantly shocked if Venom does $80 million, beating F9, Shang-Chi, and Black Widow. And if it does about $90 million or more... Just wow.

If it does these numbers, it also brings back into question what the hell happened with The Suicide Squad. It just couldn't have been a mass audience revolt from the first Suicide Squad. And would HBO Max have really cut into it that much (effectively cutting its OW in half or by 2/3s?) I guess it could have been a significant portion of both, but jeez...

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I still don't understand why people are surprised by SS2's performance.

The Harley Quinn spinoff movie underperformed expectations in early 2020 already showing that the lukewarm reaction to SS had an impact. SS2 almost played like a second sequel so went down even more. Also no Will Smith probably didn't help as well as streaming.

Last edited by O on Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:37 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

^I didn't want to bring that movie because it's very close to many here.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:38 am
Extraordinary

Jack Sparrow wrote:
^I didn't want to bring that movie because it's very close to many here.

It was a good movie, I enjoyed it and it was fun. But so many good movies got disappointing box office because of badly received predecessors.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

TSS should've done better... while the movie was very good and reviews were good the HBO Max release along with apathy for Suicide Squad in general (and I guess Harley) cancelled that out. I guess people like Hardy/Venom enough that it makes up for these lackluster movies.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Obviously it was going to drop and disappoint. But $26 million/$55 million? That's way more than just the negative reception of the original film (and Birds of Prey if you will, but it was mixed at best, perhaps even slightly positive).

And Birds of Prey was hit with the pandemic. The first deaths outside of China were being reported in its first week which caused a lot of early panic, and the the first known death in the US was announced a couple weeks later in its run. And finally, a couple weeks after that the lockdowns and theater closures began. Not saying it would have done a lot more, but it certainly would have cleared $100 million at the very least, but likely would have done a little bit more.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sonic did a $70M 4 day weekend the following weekend. Onward did $39M OW first weekend of March. Call of the Wild did $24M and Invisible Man did $28 M after. Birds of Prey's $33M was at the time even from the predictions on the forum was way off predictions. Don't think the impact on the box office domestically was that dramatic yet.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

I went too high. I guess I am tracking more theaters compared to BW. Still its a big breakout.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:44 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Birds of Prey underwhelmed on its own eve. If it’s legs were cut short. SS was just never going to be that big considering it was a reboot/sequel/remake of a film release just a few years prior that was not well received.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:25 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Venom can flirt with $80m - the first had great legs for what it was and this has potential future links to MCU Spidey.

It’s sad that Many Saints of Newark is being released to so little fanfare and expectation. Sopranos of the big screen would have been a strong hit at any other time but WB’s simultaneous streaming strategy and lacklustre promotion has notched yet another films release.

It sad that it may barely out open the Entourage film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2